Best/Cheapest path to full-auto AR

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ducati
Senior Silent Operator

Best/Cheapest path to full-auto AR

Post by ducati »

My interest in full-auto toys rises and falls all the time, but has never actually risen to purchase level. Just never made myself pull the trigger, as it were.

Why, oh why didn't I buy those stupid Macs for 400 bucks years ago? Two grand for an AAC 556? Too rich for my 25yo blood. 2,500 for an M-16? Dream on.

Well, they're not getting any cheaper, so what the hell.
I have a Colt "Sporter", and have been eyeing the .22 version as well as the 15/22. Just watching those little guys rip thru mags with a suppressor on them makes my pants tight in front...

I've got the 5.56, and I suppose I can just get a 22 upper, but hell, I can get a whole new 22 for the same price.

What's my best option for "converting" what I have? Who has registered drop-in sears, or would that even work on my gun? It has a pin blocking the way, supposedly preventing un-authorized hooliganism.

Do I have to break down and get a whole gun, or is there a registered trigger pack for my model? It would be nice to move it from the 223 to a 22 and back, but I don't know if that works these days.

It probably doesn't matter; I still cry when I remember thinking I'll never pay 1,500 bucks for a stupid Norrell trigger. Now look at them.

I'm not above becoming someone's beneficiary if one of you old farts feels your toys will need a tender, loving home when you're gone. You can't take 'em with you, ya know!
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I guess it all depends on how much you have to spend.

FWIW you can still cobble a full auto FNC together for under 6 grand.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
Cobra700
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Cobra700 »

$2500 for a m16???? :shock: I'll Take it!! :twisted:

k....My understanding (correct me if im wrong) is:

Lightning Link- About $7K

DIAS- About $8K-$10K

Complete M16- $13K+
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

My analysis:

Get the DIAS because if you tear up receivers you are screwed.

If you tear up an M16, you're done. It's an aluminum lower. not like a mac10 that can easily be rewelded (though they can weld ar lowers, but it's still aluminum).

DIAS can be moved around to a new receiver.

just 2 cents, for what it's worth.

unless you get your ffl and get pre-ban m16s
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Best & Cheapest are like Jumbo Shrimp.

Best? RDIAS

Cheapest? LL
NFAtalk.org
Calibur6918
Silent Operator

Post by Calibur6918 »

stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Cheapest would be an unregistered sear with a free no-knock ATF raid.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

stevejobs wrote:Cheapest would be an unregistered sear with a free no-knock ATF raid.
A Spectre with a .22lr upper would help with that. Just sayin'.
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

stevejobs wrote:Cheapest would be an unregistered sear with a free no-knock ATF raid.
dunno, drill presses can cost quite a bit... diy LL might be cheaper :lol: and still come with the side of raid.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

The ATF raid would be followed by court costs, a $10,000 fine, and 10 years in prison, though. At that point, a registered Lightning Link would be cheaper, and less painful.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
Dock Rocker
Silent Operator

Post by Dock Rocker »

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi?

Good source for some Class III goodness
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Selectedmarksman wrote:The ATF raid would be followed by court costs, a $10,000 fine, and 10 years in prison, though. At that point, a registered Lightning Link would be cheaper, and less painful.
8 months to two years first offense. Ask Russian and the douchebag. Most Ive ever known anyone to get was 6 years. That was a high profile prior felon with multiple NFA violations including SBR's, machineguns and explosives. The 10K fine/10 year thing was a mandatory sentencing guideline that was ruled unconstitutional a long time ago.

Still crappy time but I don't believe in scare tactics. People should make educated decisions on whether they want to take the calculated risk of breaking unconstitutional laws based on facts.
Artos
Silent Operator

Post by Artos »

Is the DIAS a wearable part that can be fixed??

I've alwys been told the safest (combined w/ cheapest) route is to get the converted receiver as it's much less likely to have catastrophic failure & there are companies that specialize in their repair??

This way you can replace the auto trigger assembly with readily available parts.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Artos wrote:Is the DIAS a wearable part that can be fixed??

I've alwys been told the safest (combined w/ cheapest) route is to get the converted receiver as it's much less likely to have catastrophic failure & there are companies that specialize in their repair??

This way you can replace the auto trigger assembly with readily available parts.

DIAS's break too. Most are aluminum with a steel trip. In any case I don't know where the fear of welding aluminum comes from.
GlockBuyer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GlockBuyer »

Join the Marines........... they will actually pay you to use a full auto M4.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

To be fair the average illegal MG sentence is 12-18 months for non violent 1st time offenders....
NFAtalk.org
ducati
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ducati »

Sorry. Not interested in "home-made" MGs.

The best legal path is what interests me. Looks like I have more homework to do...
Artos
Silent Operator

Post by Artos »

YugoRPK wrote:

DIAS's break too. Most are aluminum with a steel trip. In any case I don't know where the fear of welding aluminum comes from.
but which break more often and are dias fixable after significant wear...seems to me a sear would wear much faster than a receiver. Do they ever wear out & have to be retired??
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Artos wrote:
YugoRPK wrote:

but which break more often and are dias fixable after significant wear...seems to me a sear would wear much faster than a receiver. Do they ever wear out & have to be retired??

Anything is fixable. DIAS's break on the aluminum part that mates to the receivers. Theyre fixable. Receivers break. Not often but it can happen. Theyre fixable.
Johnthedford
Silent Operator

re: M16

Post by Johnthedford »

You can buy a converted one in the mid 9k range. Factory original guns cost more...around 13k up.

I have several factory Colt M16's inbound.
Come check out my website.
John Thedford
NFA SALES
http://www.nfasales.com
Toll free 1-866-NFA-1934

also site owner and admin for
http://www.ClassIIIdealers.com
THE Class III Dealer Online Directory
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Cobra700 wrote:DIAS- About $8K-$10K

Complete M16- $13K+
You got those reversed...
ArevaloSOCOM wrote:To be fair the average illegal MG sentence is 12-18 months for non violent 1st time offenders....
ATF did a study of outcomes for illegal mg convictions. For a first offense, probation is the norm. A prior felony gets you about six months, two or more and it starts to get heavy.

There are some outliers.
keatsabn
Silent But Deadly

Post by keatsabn »

I know where you can get one that will not cost you a dime up front and they will supply all the ammunition you can shoot. They also have some of the best ranges in the US. If you are interested please see your nearest Army recruiter and ask to be an 11X-Ray with the Airborne option.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1294.png[/img][/url]
"Here lies, in honored glory, an American soldier, known but to God."
" All the Badges on your chest don't mean anything, unless you have the heart to back them up"
" ALL OK JUMPMASTER"
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

Is 11x a new thing? I never knew that you couldn't pick a specific infantry MOS upon enlistment. I suppose just about any 11 series MOS would be fun, but I'm not sure if I really want to hump a mortar tube and rounds. :lol: But I guess nowdays there's only 11B and 11C anyway. No more 11M or 11H. :cry:
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
keatsabn
Silent But Deadly

Post by keatsabn »

Blaubart wrote:Is 11x a new thing? I never knew that you couldn't pick a specific infantry MOS upon enlistment. I suppose just about any 11 series MOS would be fun, but I'm not sure if I really want to hump a mortar tube and rounds. :lol: But I guess nowdays there's only 11B and 11C anyway. No more 11M or 11H. :cry:
You are correct there is only 11B and 11C, but a basic trainee when they enlist for needs of the Army Infantry are 11-X-Ray they are unassigned grunts HQDA will tell TRADOC that we need more "Charlies" and magically all the 11X will be trained as 11-Charlie. If a soldier has a RIP contract they also are 11-X untill basic training same for soldiers going to Airborne school.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1294.png[/img][/url]
"Here lies, in honored glory, an American soldier, known but to God."
" All the Badges on your chest don't mean anything, unless you have the heart to back them up"
" ALL OK JUMPMASTER"
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

I'm glad they didn't do that to me when I enlisted as a 13F. I would have hated to have been anything else in the artillery...

[/threadjack] :lol:
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu