9mm subsonic.....what primers and powder

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rsm688
Silent But Deadly

9mm subsonic.....what primers and powder

Post by rsm688 »

As the title says, I am a newbie but have just about got everything together to start reloading 9mm. Got 3k rounds of brass on the way, 200 rounds of 147gr Montanta Gold CMJ bullets on the way (just to get started with), and now I need some primers and powder. I am going to be loading all subsonic ammo to start out with. I have a few reloading manuals but wanted to see what you guys think the best primers and powder are for subsonic 9mm ammo.

Also, anyone have any good recipes or the recipe that Special K uses for their ammo (since it seems to be the quietest bought ammo)

Thanks,
Spencer
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

special K is N320 or N340 powder depending upon who you believe - I'm currently using 3.8 grains N320 and CCI or Winchester standard psitol primers under 147 grain plated bulets loaded to max COAL.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
nwcid
Silent But Deadly

Post by nwcid »

Any primers.

I use Tightgroup as it seems to be pretty clean and can be commonly found in stores.
Derf
Silent But Deadly

Post by Derf »

TiteGroup for me and standard CCI small pistol, 3.2 grains. Works in both my XD9 with my Trident and my M11/9 and with MK9K.
Seems nice and clean and consistant. I can find it easier around than most other flavors. Actually picked up an 8lb tub at SAR East for around $12/pound. Felt like the good old days LOL
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

CCI primers because you can store about 5k where you could fit 1k of federal :lol:
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

CKOD wrote:CCI primers because you can store about 5k where you could fit 1k of federal :lol:
Amen to that. WTF is federal thinking?

--Break--

Spencer, try searching for "N320" and "N340" on this site. I did it a while back and found a lot of good info.
rsm688
Silent But Deadly

Post by rsm688 »

thanks guys thats what I needed to know, one more thing:

What's the difference in #1 1/2, #100, and #500 small pistol primers? Or really all I care about is which ones I need for 9mm subsonic :lol:

Thanks,
Spencer
silverbulletexpress
Silent But Deadly

Post by silverbulletexpress »

N320 is good stuff but pricey and sometimes not available. I load my 9's with Bullseye, 231, or sometimes Clays. All you need is a small pistol primer.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

3.8 grains of bullseye. It's great for subsonic. I run it in the Sig 226 and the M11. Both suppressed with the SWR Trident.

As far as primers, anything you can get your hands on.
SWR Spectre
SWR TRIDENT
AAC 762SD
AAC TITAN
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

All I know about primers is that Federal ones are often softer. The Winchester ones say for magnum or nonmagnum use... which means I'm not going to approach max pressures with them. It could just be total bullshit though.
generaldisarray
Silent But Deadly

Post by generaldisarray »

Federal that I have used before would not fit thru Lee saftey prime :cry:
seems to be a known issue.

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com Has Wolf sp-mag and N320, for now
jmorris
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmorris »

I use 3.3 of titegroup and 3.1 of VV n310 with a plated 147 @ 1.160" for my minor 9mm loads. The N310 load is a mouse fart even w/o a can.
bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigbigpig »

Lots of stuff works for 9mm. I like 3.6g Bullseye w/ 147gr bullets. I use CCI primers but any small pistol primer should work.
rsm688
Silent But Deadly

Post by rsm688 »

Thanks guys now I have lots of options. I picked up 900 CCI primers that were in stock at my local bass pro tonight :shock: . First time I have seen them there ever, normally its just an empty shelf where all the primers would be. Just as cheap as Midway and no hazmat or shipping fees either. Didn't have any powder to fit my needs, I'm gonna check a few other places tomorrow locally to see if I can avoid shipping fees.

Thanks,
Spencer
rsm688
Silent But Deadly

Post by rsm688 »

Picked up 3 1lb bottle of Titegroup and another 1000 CCI small pistol primers for $98 locally today. They had another 3 bottles of Titegroup and another 5000 primers but I'm a college student and can only afford so much at a time (althrough I wanted to buy up all the primers).

About how many rounds are you guys getting out of a 1lb bottle of Titegroup?

Thanks,
Spencer
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

7000 grains per pound.
SWR Spectre
SWR TRIDENT
AAC 762SD
AAC TITAN
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

Rounding 3.8gr (what I use) to 4.0 even= 1,750 rounds per pound.
SWR Spectre
SWR TRIDENT
AAC 762SD
AAC TITAN
rsm688
Silent But Deadly

Re: 9mm subsonic.....what primers and powder

Post by rsm688 »

Thanks, one more thing. Any preferred bullets for running through a suppressor or will any 147gr FMJ or CMJ work well?

Thanks,
Spencer
rsm688
Silent But Deadly

Post by rsm688 »

Thanks, one more thing. Any preferred bullets for running through a suppressor or will?

Thanks,
Spencer
jmorris
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmorris »

I run plated 147's without problems with my suppressors even FA.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

I haven't had any problems with any plated I have purchased for 9mm subsonic loading. Berry's is the box closest to me that I'm currently dipping out of Western something or other was on the box I threw away.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Plated have worked well for me, but make sure you bell the case properly and don't shave or crush the plate.
I ran across a handful of rounds that had mangled the plate. I had to adjust the bell a bit (increased it just a little) to prevent the problem whil seating the bullet.

Also, plated bullets aren't all that great of a deal any more. My last order was for precision delta jacketed and they were cheaper than both berry's and rainier.

Otherwise, I run 3.8 grains of WW231 (for plated 147's) and I'm up to 4.0 gains for jacketed. I have used Remington primers and Winchester primers.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by wildfowler »

rsm688 wrote:thanks guys thats what I needed to know, one more thing:

What's the difference in #1 1/2, #100, and #500 small pistol primers? Or really all I care about is which ones I need for 9mm subsonic :lol:

Thanks,
Spencer
I believe those numbers may denote either a standard vs magnum primer. Not sure which is which though. This can be a problem when you're standing in the stock isle trying to decide which primer to buy. I don't know why Remington doesn't put the word "MAGNUM" on the appropriate primer box. Anyway, take a look in the Remington product guidebook at the store or online and you can figure out which is which. The specs for their loaded ammunition will specify which primer is used in which cartridge and then you can buy accordingly.

Obviously for 9mm, you're looking for non-mag primers. I don't have any more Remington's on hand to check for you.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

rsm688 wrote:Thanks, one more thing. Any preferred bullets for running through a suppressor or will?

Thanks,
Spencer
Don't buy these: http://www.precisionbullets.com/

They'll lead the sh!t out of your can in short order. Although, when I called and talked to the owner of the business. He told me that he didn't really know for sure what they would do in a suppressor, but "thought" they would lead the can. I had planned on sending my Trident in to Liberty so I can service myself anyway, but don't plan on taking it apart often, because it's not that easy to get back together. (Tight fit). Unfortunately, I won't be shooting these through my can any more due to the amount of build-up inside. It's too bad too, because these bullets are in my opinion, a high quality product and shoot very well. They're just not suitable for a suppressor. I've also tried Extreme plated bullets and had poor success with them. This was my only experience with plated bullets and other brands may be better. I'll be shooting total metal case bullets from now own through my suppressor saving the cheap stuff for range use when I've got wear hearing protection anyway.

Stick with Total metal case (encapsulated) or else plated bullets (which typically cost about the same as jacketed bullets) In other words since you're going to be loading your own ammo, buy bullets that don't have an exposed lead base and you may never have to worry about the can getting dirty.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
rsm688
Silent But Deadly

Post by rsm688 »

Complete metal jackets are what you are referring to when you say encapsulated right?

Thanks guys,
Spencer