Will I be disappointed going from suppressed .22 to .45?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

chingon
Silent But Deadly

Will I be disappointed going from suppressed .22 to .45?

Post by chingon »

I have 3 .22 cans, low budget cans that I am pleased with. I now want to suppress my Glock 30 and Sig 220 and hope to add the FNP .45 tactical to the stable. Will I be disappointed in suppressed .45 ? I know not to expect Hollyweird quiet but will I be able to shoot those platforms without hearing protection. Which can is recommended? Thanks in advance.
I'll do a search for hearing safe .45
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

I have never heard a .45 suppressed, but if AAC can make my .308 .22lr quiet then I think that you will be happy with the new Ti-Rant .45 can?
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
hs338lapua
Silent But Deadly

Re: Will I be disappointed going from suppressed .22 to .45?

Post by hs338lapua »

chingon wrote: Will I be disappointed in suppressed .45 ?
Nope. Take almost any weapon shoot it without a silencer and then put one on to see the difference. Don't compare .22 to any other caliber.

I was showing my buddy my M4-2000 and he thought it sounded loud. I unscrewed it and let him shoot a round unsuppressed no ear pro. He didn't think it was loud after.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I have an SWR HEMS and love it. I recognize that newer offerings may beat it on the meter, but I'm not trying to argue that point. The thing is, a suppressed .45 is a hell of a lot quieter than an unsuppressed .45. With the AAC TiRant, SilencerCo Osprey, and KAC's cans purporting to be hearing safe dry, I think it is an exciting time to buy.

If you have .45's you enjoy shooting, suppressing it makes that experience pure joy. You're not going to get Hollywood quiet due to the larger bore, but it still puts a smile on your face.

EDIT: My HEMS does a good enough job that I can hear a metal 'clack' of the booster slamming back into position. It's still not hearing safe dry, but that's impressive to me. Wet, it's great fun. The new, hearing-safe dry cans must be a blast.
Last edited by Selectedmarksman on Wed May 05, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
Rusty_Shackleford

Post by Rusty_Shackleford »

Please. From .22 to .45? Yes. If you expect the same from the two, you will be disappointed.
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

You will be happy with it if you understand the limitations of suppressing a 45 and the progess that has been made in recent years. Sure the .22 is the quietest but that doesn't mean you won't enjoy shooting a suspressed 45. Not everyone likes to fire wet but a high quality 45 can fired wet will produce very low dBs.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

hs338lapua wrote:... I unscrewed it and let him shoot a round unsuppressed no ear pro. He didn't think it was loud after...
Holy s--t, some friend you are. :D
Kick Ass Design
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

OP-
try to go see one shot, shoot it yourself. Have you ever shot or seen shot (in person) a silenced 9mm or 45 pistol?

the best silenced 45s can not touch the best silenced .22s. If that is your measuring stick, you will be quite disappointed.

That said, for overall performance, your best best is the AAC Ti-RANT. It is easily hearing safe dry, has a nice tone.
Kick Ass Design
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

Chingon,

As long as you have realistic expectations (no other caliber will suppress as well or be a quiet as your deuce-deuce cans) you can definitely be happy with a suppressed .45.

The cool thing about a suppressed .45 (if you're using one of the latest "top of the line" .45 cans) is that you get a dull "thud" when you shoot it and then a louder "whhaackkkkk" when that 230gn slug hits something solid. I enjoy shooting the latest gen. .45 cans A LOT!
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
SWATH
Silent But Deadly

Post by SWATH »

Well, after some experiments a group of friends and I have determined that a Trident9 on a G19 shot wet is noticeably quieter than a Specter on a p22 shot dry.
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

SWATH wrote:Well, after some experiments a group of friends and I have determined that a Trident9 on a G19 shot wet is noticeably quieter than a Specter on a p22 shot dry.
what kind of ammo did you use in both hosts? thanks!
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

SWATH wrote:Well, after some experiments a group of friends and I have determined that a Trident9 on a G19 shot wet is noticeably quieter than a Specter on a p22 shot dry.
What were you guys smoking?
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO3pruGDEes

Video isn't entirely faithful for sound reproduction, but you can get an idea from this. A dry .45 silencer won't sound like a .22 silencer. But a wet .45 silencer can be as quiet as a .22 silencer. It has a deeper, "meatier" tone, but isn't much louder.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

My suppressed 1911A1, when shot wet, sounds just like my Benjamin Sheridan Air rifle unsuppressed at full power, perhaps slightly deeper if I'm shooting inside my study.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, but the sound will be stronger out of a .45
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
SWATH
Silent But Deadly

Post by SWATH »

We shot the following:

p22 with Specter shooting Federal 550 bulk pack
G19 with Trident9 shooting Georgia arms 147gr subsonic (canned heat maybe)
HK USP .45 Tactical with HEMS2 230gr. WWB

We had 3 people stand there and shoot them back to back within a second of each other at various sequences. pffh...PFFH...PFFFH

This was done over and over while we walked around to get different vantage points until a consensus was acheived (which didn't take long). We all agreed that when shot dry, from quietest to loudest was without a doubt p22/specter quietest, g19/trident9 a little louder, USP45/HEMS2 loud.

We then played around with wetting the silencers with 1 cap full of water from a bottled water. The usp45/HEMS2 was significantly quieter but still louder than the G19/Trident9 dry. The G19/Trident9 was very quite wet, we didn't bother with wetting the p22/specter. When shot back to back as before with the 9 and 45 cans wet, we all agreed that the G19/Trident9 wet was quietest, followed by the p22/Specter dry being a little louder, then loudest by far was the USP45/HEMS2 wet.

We duplicated perfectly this perceived result months later in a different location.

bp968 can corroborate.
dragoon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dragoon »

I'm happy with my SWR HEMS2 , especially when fired wet . One advantage that .45 ACP has is that being subsonic , you don't have to track down special loads to get maximum efficiency ...
hs338lapua
Silent But Deadly

Post by hs338lapua »

JasonAAC wrote:
hs338lapua wrote:... I unscrewed it and let him shoot a round unsuppressed no ear pro. He didn't think it was loud after...
Well in my defense I didn't force him to do it!

I might add that it led to him buying a Ranger II. Chock that sale up to me and my salesman skills! :lol:
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

hs338lapua wrote:
JasonAAC wrote:
Well in my defense I didn't force him to do it!

I might add that it led to him buying a Ranger II. Chock that sale up to me and my salesman skills! :lol:
We'll call it a wash then. :wink:
Kick Ass Design
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

hs338lapua wrote:Don't compare .22 to any other caliber.
This.
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

SWATH wrote:We shot the following:

We had 3 people stand there and shoot them back to back within a second of each other at various sequences. pffh...PFFH...PFFFH

This was done over and over while we walked around to get different vantage points until a consensus was acheived (which didn't take long). We all agreed that when shot dry, from quietest to loudest was without a doubt p22/specter quietest, g19/trident9 a little louder, USP45/HEMS2 loud.

We then played around with wetting the silencers with 1 cap full of water from a bottled water. The usp45/HEMS2 was significantly quieter but still louder than the G19/Trident9 dry. The G19/Trident9 was very quite wet, we didn't bother with wetting the p22/specter. When shot back to back as before with the 9 and 45 cans wet, we all agreed that the G19/Trident9 wet was quietest, followed by the p22/Specter dry being a little louder, then loudest by far was the USP45/HEMS2 wet.

We duplicated perfectly this perceived result months later in a different location.

bp968 can corroborate.
thanks for the info, but i don't think supersonic .22lr ammo vs subsonic 9mm ammo is a fair test. but i'm glad to read the results and your findings.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

i shoot my h&k mark23 with a evo 45 wet .. and it's pretty dang quiet .. I don't use ear protection .you can actually hear the action lock up.. dry is a different story.. the new tirant shoud eve nbe better!!

I don't think you would be dissapointed in it unless you have unrealistic expectations
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

kaotic504 wrote:

bp968 can corroborate.
thanks for the info, but i don't think supersonic .22lr ammo vs subsonic 9mm ammo is a fair test. but i'm glad to read the results and your findings.
In a short barreled P-22 Fed Bulk pack it is SUB sonic.... So it IS fair.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
SWATH
Silent But Deadly

Post by SWATH »

JohnInNH wrote:
kaotic504 wrote:

bp968 can corroborate.
In a short barreled P-22 Fed Bulk pack it is SUB sonic.... So it IS fair.
Yes, I forgot to mention that the Fed Bulk pack is subsonic out of the little p22. In fact I also shot some CCI standard velocity out of it back to back with the High velocity bulk stuff and could not tell a difference between the two at all. Everything we shot that day was subsonic except a few 115gr. 9mm round just for effect. Those are WAY loud compared to anything subsonic.
sonanth
Elite Member

Post by sonanth »

Considering how loud any unsuppressed weapon is, I don't think you'd be disappointed.
"Your" does not equal "You're", the contraction for "You are".

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
ASP2001
Silent But Deadly

Post by ASP2001 »

A few years ago, you may have been disappointed with the performance of a suppressed .45 but in the past year your options have opened up.
I wasn't thrilled by the Evo in 45 by any means when compared to subsonic 9mm.

Find your local dealer and shoot everything he'll let you get your hands on. Then you'll have first hand knowledge and not have to rely on opinions of others or someone's test numbers.

Most on here would agree that the .45 Ti-Rant and the 45 Osprey are excellent choices in .45 acp.