THE QMF .45!! NEW RELEASE FROM THOMPSON MACHINE!!! w/ Video

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

GlockandRoll,
I have never heard the QMF in person but that is my HEMS2 and storm lake barrel TM borrowed to make the video. It does sound like that. You can clearly see the water vapor from the muzzle and ejection port in their video.

Here is me shooting my XD45/ HEMS2/ Stormlake barrel with 230 Georgia Arms HP it at 00.55 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/user/mstrombe#p/u/13/QUn0aptgkNY

Try running the two videos side by side on two tabs. The sound is identical.

These guys are for real and I now have enough of their stuff to vouch for their integrity.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

Reventon wrote:What is the DB reduction dry/wet?
no meter? you keep asking people if they have questions but this hasnt been answered. sorry to be a douche, but i am curious. it is significantly less expensive than the rest of the competition, so if the numbers arent as good, screw it, it is worth it for the 300 less dollars....
its quiet time!
JacksonBrowne
Silent But Deadly

Post by JacksonBrowne »

Yes, meter results would be beneficial. I'm sure Titsworth would be willing to do so in an unbiased manner.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Speaking of testing, there's no real way I could have my suppressor design metered, short of buying my own meter, is there?
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

strobro32 wrote:GlockandRoll,
I have never heard the QMF in person but that is my HEMS2 and storm lake barrel TM borrowed to make the video. It does sound like that. You can clearly see the water vapor from the muzzle and ejection port in their video.

Here is me shooting my XD45/ HEMS2/ Stormlake barrel with 230 Georgia Arms HP it at 00.55 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/user/mstrombe#p/u/13/QUn0aptgkNY

Try running the two videos side by side on two tabs. The sound is identical.

These guys are for real and I now have enough of their stuff to vouch for their integrity.
Allow me to rephrase:
I see FUD all day long from MicroSoft and Citrix, trying to discredit what my company does and on the surface, it appears legit... that is untill you peel the layers back and do a scientific comparison.

I'd prefer an unbiased test (captured on video) with mics placed equal distance, same host weapon, same everything, etc... etc.. etc..

Mine sounds quieter than that... period, end of discussion. Maybe yours does not? After all, it is a different suppressor. My stratocaster sounds different than your neighbors, my jeans that are the same size fit different also.

Perhaps yours is defective, perhaps knowing that it is, it was used in the test; how could I know?

I don't have a dollar to gain here, saying one is better than another, but that certainly doesn't ally to the people posting this video now does it?

It is not only unbiased, but gimmicky as well because anyone who has a HEMS-2 should know it doesn't sound like that. Which for the life of me I cant figure out why it sounds like you can here the bullet flight... not too mention I just dislike pistol cans that don't have a Nielson/LCD/booster, device.. they are needed, period.
Last edited by GlockandRoll on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

LavaRed wrote:Speaking of testing, there's no real way I could have my suppressor design metered, short of buying my own meter, is there?
You could get someone to build a copy of your design in the US and meter that. Or you could get someone with an import license to bring it in, but that's going to cost some major money.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Diomed wrote:
LavaRed wrote:Speaking of testing, there's no real way I could have my suppressor design metered, short of buying my own meter, is there?
You could get someone to build a copy of your design in the US and meter that. Or you could get someone with an import license to bring it in, but that's going to cost some major money.
Good idea (the copy idea).

I'll have to make a thead about it and see if some of the manufacturers with a meter would care to do it. :D
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Do Nielsen devices tend to increase the noise level? You, know, ejection port "bark" etc? I ask because there seemed to be a larger cloud of mist coming from the ejection port of the HEMS II in that video. I know LCD's/Neilsen devices take up space in a can that could be used for baffles or useful free volume. Has anybody here done a comparison on the same host with a Nielsen device and their provided fixed barrel spacer? Granted, this may not be an apt comparison as the fixed barrel spacer will also take up air space in the can.

Also, how incredibly stupid would it be for the folks at Thompson Machine to make spurious claims on a site known for LOTS of research on suppressors? Sure, they may sell a few cans in the short term but that gambit would ultimately backfire if independant testing showed they were lying. I doubt they're trying to bullshit us, not when it would be so easily proven.

Worst case scenario. What if they're NOT as quiet as the HEMS II? The QMF is still cheaper, smaller, lighter and can be dissasembled for cleaning. Sound reduction isn't the only variable we consider when buying cans. Lots of YHM's M2's are sold, not because they are the quietest .45 can out there but because we like to be able to clean them.

Remember, AAC used to be a small upstart company too...back when AWC and GEMTECH were the big names in the business. Just sayin'.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

A suppressor w/out an LCD booster should be less expensive, but I still would not want one unless it ran on every stock gun I put it on, with a wide variety of ammo.
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

Will the QMF work on a Glock 30?
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

GlockandRoll a skeptic? LOL

Hows the hydrogen injection holding up? :P
crf450x

Re: THE QMF .45!! NEW RELEASE FROM THOMPSON MACHINE!!! w/ V

Post by crf450x »

Received my QMF 45 and I'm shooting it on a Springfield XD45 Compact.

Shoots 100%. Have not had any mis feeds. My sons shoot it and they are a little too small so they get a occasional mis feed.

Wet, the can is very very quiet. Like a .22 can quiet. I've shot it with light oil and water. After 10 rounds it starts to get louder. Will try grease next.

With out lube, it sounds like a old M10-45 can but the QMF is way smaller. Still quiet enough to where no hearing protection is needed.

Easy to take apart and clean with the supplied end cap tools.

I'm very happy.
este
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by este »

DoctorSolo wrote:GlockandRoll a skeptic? LOL

Wait wha? Please tell me GlockandRoll has a hydrogen / electrolysis setup on his car!!! That would too funny for the guy claiming bullshit on some company he has no experiences with to have bought into that scam!
Brooks@Thompson Machine
Industry Professional

Post by Brooks@Thompson Machine »

CRF450X,

Glad you like your QMF!! :mrgreen:

Also, just to let you guys know, we've upgraded to Ceracoat for the finish on the QMFs. It is a great looking velvety black, and is super tough and temp resistant.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
[email protected]
www.thompsonmachine.net
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Re: Re:

Post by GlockandRoll »

este wrote:

Wait wha? Please tell me GlockandRoll has a hydrogen / electrolysis setup on his car!!! That would too funny for the guy claiming bullshit on some company he has no experiences with to have bought into that scam!
Do I know either of you douche bags?
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

GlockandRoll wrote:
este wrote:

Do I know either of you douche bags?
That's some old-school ST right there. Attaboy, GlockandRoll. But back to point, I actually can hear the LCD clink back into place on my SWR HEMS (which is a good sign in terms of DB reduction I say) so I can see the benefit to not having one in terms of noise. That said, I agree with GNR, if it won't run reliably I'm not interested. No comment on the QMF made or intended, never handled the thing.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

Selectedmarksman wrote: That's some old-school ST right there. Attaboy, GlockandRoll. But back to point, I actually can hear the LCD clink back into place on my SWR HEMS (which is a good sign in terms of DB reduction I say) so I can see the benefit to not having one in terms of noise. That said, I agree with GNR, if it won't run reliably I'm not interested. No comment on the QMF made or intended, never handled the thing.
It may be the smallest, lightest, coolest to the touch, cheapest, etc.
But... if it wont cycle reliablly, then what good is it.

It may, but experience tells me that you need a booster for an auto, except for maybe a beretta or a walther PPK type action.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Mine just shipped...and I"m going to try it on a Glock 36. If it cycles on that, it'll cycle on anything. I actually don't expect it to cycle something that small...and I don't care. If it does, I"ll be pleasantly surprised. Otherwise, hand cycling when I'm just playing around is no big deal. Longer cans just look stupid on a gun that tiny.

Brooks,
Will pink Krylon stick to Ceracoat? Just sayin'. :wink:
Brooks@Thompson Machine
Industry Professional

Post by Brooks@Thompson Machine »

If you feel so inclined, I believe that it probably will :twisted: Just degrease first. :roll:
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
[email protected]
www.thompsonmachine.net
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Just kidding. I have appallingly bad taste but I haven't reached that low yet. Maybe brown.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I should pick up my QMF in a month. Let us know if it works on the 36 Dweezil.

I'm going to swing by my dealers range and compare it to my HEMSII next week.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Steve S
Elite Member

Re:

Post by Steve S »

Brooks@Thompson Machine wrote:Also, per you guys' requests, we're going to post some video of the QMF dry as soon as we get a chance.
Looking forward to seeing that guys. Very impressed with what I've seen so far. Do you experience ANY back blast when shooting "wet"? Do you have any intentions of posting db reduction numbers? I'd love to see John Titsworth do a review on these.......sounds VERY promising!
Steve
mob
Silent Operator

Post by mob »

anyone heard from brooks lately, ive emailed and PM'd him with no response as to status of my can
FSCJedi
Silent But Deadly

Post by FSCJedi »

Nevermind. Fixed.

That sounds awesome! I heard my dealer shoot a demo YHM .45 suppressor the other day and I was less than impressed. This sounds awesome!
"I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use it." - Matthew Quigley

Keep your powder dry. Molon labe!
BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWPerdue »

Has anyone tried this on a 9mm yet?