My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

kokopelli
Silent Operator

My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by kokopelli »

Last July I ordered one of Thompson Machine's $99 .22 cans off Gunbroker. I figured this would be a good start into the suppressor world at a good price. A screw up from the guy doing the transfer on my end made it a 8 month process.
Once I did get the can, Richard made up for the lost time by swapping out the k-baffles for the new upgraded mono-core design -Thanks to Thompson Machine, that's what I call great customer sevice!
So now I finally have the can. My host is a Sig Mosquito. It is not hearing safe. :(
I've put about 100 rounds of subsonic Remington and Aguila through it including the 90 grain Aguila sniper. I tried putting some oil in it; it didn't make a difference, I put a teaspoon of water in it, seemed to help a little bit...I filled up with water to where it was running out the end if it was tipped down- now it's hearing safe. :?
I guess the long wait made me overly anxious or over expecting of a hundred dollar can.

My next venture was going to be a can for my gsg-5...but for the amount of money it takes w/ stamp+transfer+can...I don't know if it's worth it or not.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by WhisperFan »

It's hard for me to imagine a .22LR suppressor that isn't hearing safe.

Mine both sound like a pellet gun (or less)

But I don't have a Thompson Machine can
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly

Post by bikefreek »

hell .22's are almost hearing safe without a can!
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Just for background, have you heard other silenced Mosquitos as a comparison?

It's not hard to make a loudish .22 can, but with a decent design, you'd almost have to try to make it not hearing safe...

can you shoot the mosquito while holding the action closed with the palm of your hand to eliminate action noise?
Kick Ass Design
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

Underpowered subsonic ammo like Remington Subsonic is so low pressure that the brass does not expand and seal against the chamber walls so noise comes out the ejection port.

There is no such thing as 90grain Aquilla, they make a heavy 60grain cartridge, but it is for special twist guns not for your Mosquito.

With the longer barrel of the Mosquito you need shoot a non high velocity round, Anything marked std. velocity or target marked ammo would work ok, if the gun will cycle, I am not saying anything good about the Mosquito, just commenting upon the 5" length of barrel. I use Winchester Dynapoints a lot.

Your ears could still work so hearing safe to you and me can be quite a different thing.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Today is another one of my stuck here pain med days and its really kicking in now so I'm gonna be real careful what I say..Sig Mosquito..I did not say one word guys...

Okay just to double check something..Fire a round holding the slide closed..don't let it cycle..Use your thumbs or duct tape the slide shut..Then tell us how it sounds..

oh and it is possible you have a defective batch of Remington subs (as was mentioned the Aguila your talking about doesn't exist so it maybe a supersonic round, I know they make all kinds of rimfire..)..I have a brick here of CCI Subsonics that will go supersonic in a 5 inch barrel. Get some CCI standards or another brand that your sure is staying subsonic as well..
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
kokopelli
Silent Operator

Post by kokopelli »

sorry...Aguila 60 grain. The Remmy's were from a couple of different boxes...
I'll try holding the slide shut and firing a round. Maybe it is going supersonic? -maybe I'm hearing the crack as it does? Oh, and don't mind me- bash the Skeeter all you want, I'm not a huge fan of it anyway...
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

bikefreek wrote:hell .22's are almost hearing safe without a can!

Yeah, .22 pistols are no where near hearing safe without a can. Every unsuppressed .22 pistol I've shot, I've needed ear plugs. :?

My Mosquito is pretty quiet with these cans, Warlock, Stratus, Spectre. Doesn't matter what ammo. Must be something wrong with the can,,,
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

kokopelli wrote:sorry...Aguila 60 grain. The Remmy's were from a couple of different boxes...
I'll try holding the slide shut and firing a round. Maybe it is going supersonic? -maybe I'm hearing the crack as it does? Oh, and don't mind me- bash the Skeeter all you want, I'm not a huge fan of it anyway...
My thought is now..and a bit fuzzy... is that the slide is opening to soon..Were the Remington's from the same lot? If you just grabbed a few boxes at the local wallyworld they very likely could be from the same brick..I think highly of CCI but I got a whole brick here thats going supersonic..

First I'd rule out the Slide..Then the ammo..Then you have to have the can looked at..Could just be something simple as the core bored out to wide..

I get a free pass today if none of this makes sense..or if I overstepped my bounds again.. :lol:

Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

coyote223 wrote:

Yeah, .22 pistols are no where near hearing safe without a can. Every unsuppressed .22 pistol I've shot, I've needed ear plugs. :?

My Mosquito is pretty quiet with these cans, Warlock, Stratus, Spectre. Doesn't matter what ammo. Must be something wrong with the can,,,
Hell I wear ear plugs with subs in my 10/22..But I have hearing like a 16 year old girl..Probably part of the reason why.. :D

kokopelli
Silent Operator

Post by kokopelli »

Ok, so far here's what I've done after demo'ing it for a friend who has a Tactical Innovations Stratus on a Walther p22.
-held the slide shut- no change
-shot some standard velocity Remmy through it, big difference- way louder
-shot an Aguila Colibri 20 grain w/no powder, no sound at all, just sound of slide
-grabbed a couple of rounds from another box of Remmy Subs- loud. Ouch loud.
I have a splitting headache after twenty rounds through this thing. All shots fired outside, in the open, btw.
However- the Rem ammo IS from the same batch, I assume- since I bought the five boxes at the same time. The Aguila 60 grain, however is way loud also.
I'm going to meet my buddy tomorrow with his Walther and can, we're gonna do some switharoo between the two. I'm going to pick up some more ammo tonight to try.
He thought mine was extremely loud also.
I will get some pics of the can and it's innards up here in a bit. Thanks for the replies! ...now I'm getting some Excedrin!
Brooks@Thompson Machine
Industry Professional

Post by Brooks@Thompson Machine »

Kokopelli,

If you get a chance, email me pics of the internals of your suppressor. It's possible that you may have gotten a loud prototype core accidentally when you sent your can back in for the core swap. With our current monocore design, the original 1" diameter $99 suppressor is extremely quiet on a Mosquito or P22.

Let me know, and we'll get you squared away.

Thanks!
Brooks
Thompson Machine
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
[email protected]
www.thompsonmachine.net
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Brooks@Thompson Machine wrote:Kokopelli,

If you get a chance, email me pics of the internals of your suppressor. It's possible that you may have gotten a loud prototype core accidentally when you sent your can back in for the core swap. With our current monocore design, the original 1" diameter $99 suppressor is extremely quiet on a Mosquito or P22.

Thanks!
Brooks
Thompson Machine
Great C/S ..... way to go on that ! :D

I have a single shot lower from Thompson Machine on my bolt BMG upper. The original had some pretty deep scrathes on it and some other problem (other than cosmetic - but I can't remember what it was) My lower was replaced w/o hassle from Thompson .... they have good customer service from my experience.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly

Post by bikefreek »

Chondro wrote:
coyote223 wrote:

Hell I wear ear plugs with subs in my 10/22..But I have hearing like a 16 year old girl..Probably part of the reason why.. :D
titsworth tested a 16" 10/22 and it metered 140.5 pistols are mid 150s
freestar

Post by freestar »

If you ever decide to get a suppressor for the GSG-5 make sure you check out the Quicksilver Manufacturing GSG-5 suppressor. It is a great design. You do not have to thread the barrel, savins you the threading cost. It uses the internal threads of the front sight frame area that the fake suppressor uses. You simply screw off the fake suppressor and screw on the real one. It is 12" long and only makes the barrel a few inches longer. It comes apart for cleaning and it is reasonably priced at $375. It makes the rifle very quiet and the rifle functions great with it on with subsonic ammo.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

kokopelli wrote:Ok, so far here's what I've done after demo'ing it for a friend who has a Tactical Innovations Stratus on a Walther p22.
-shot an Aguila Colibri 20 grain w/no powder, no sound at all, just sound of slide
I have a splitting headache after twenty rounds through this thing. All shots fired outside, in the open, btw.
However- the Rem ammo IS from the same batch, I assume- since I bought the five boxes at the same time. The Aguila 60 grain, however is way loud also.
I'm going to meet my buddy tomorrow with his Walther and can, we're gonna do some switharoo between the two. I'm going to pick up some more ammo tonight to try.
I will get some pics of the can and it's innards up here in a bit. Thanks for the replies! ...now I'm getting some Excedrin!
Hate to keep this thread going now..Your problems are solved...Brooks will take care of you..Done deal..

Have to ask though..Are you saying a 20gr. Aguila round with no powder is cycling the slide of the pistol?

Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Huh. An acquaintance with one of the Gunbroker specials got good results on a 96/22. Sounded real good. Same on a Mk II - when he switched to subsonics.
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

I am interested in purchasing your Mosquito
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
kokopelli
Silent Operator

Post by kokopelli »

Brooks@Thompson Machine wrote:Kokopelli,

Thanks!
Brooks
Thompson Machine
This is why you guys ROCK!! I'm gonna get pics of it this evening- Thanks.

Update-
side by side demo w/ buddies p22 and Stratus- NO contest!! His Stratus was quieter with standard velocity ammo than mine w/ subsonic!!
We tried my can on his p22, still loud. Used my ammo through his can- quiet. So it's not the ammo.
As far as the Colibri- no it won't cycle the slide.
pics this evening I promise!
hs338lapua
Silent But Deadly

Post by hs338lapua »

Chondro wrote:
kokopelli wrote:Ok, so far here's what I've done after demo'ing it for a friend who has a Tactical Innovations Stratus on a Walther p22.
Hate to keep this thread going now..Your problems are solved...Brooks will take care of you..Done deal..

Have to ask though..Are you saying a 20gr. Aguila round with no powder is cycling the slide of the pistol?
Yeah dude those Colibri's are not meant to cycle the action on anything. They sound like a pellet gun without a silencer. I also wouldn't shoot them through a silencer.
You can't ever have too much KFC!
kokopelli
Silent Operator

Post by kokopelli »

sent Brooks the pics, waiting to hear back. Here's what it looks like:

JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

kokopelli wrote:sent Brooks the pics, waiting to hear back. Here's what it looks like:

Looks like your getting some bullet contact on the core... That's some nasty burr/sharp edge on a few baffles.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

My Sig Mosquito w/ YHM Mite is def. hearing safe.

I've used a half dozen different types of subsonic ammo. All g-t-g.
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
david0858

Post by david0858 »

Is it my imagination or do the holes in the baffles look huge?? :?:
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

david0858 wrote:Is it my imagination or do the holes in the baffles look huge?? :?:
I thought the same.