Integral Ruger or Integral Buckmark pistol?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

mtelkman
Senior Silent Operator

Integral Ruger or Integral Buckmark pistol?

Post by mtelkman »

So I am considering buying a integral .22 semi-auto pistol.

I think I read on here someplace that a integral Buckmark will be louder than a identical length/manufacturer Ruger. (Now I can't find the thread.) Is this true? Why?

I notice that on the SRT website their integrals have the same dB level for both pistols. I currently own a Buckmark. I am wondering if it would be better to buy a Mk 3 or 22/45 and do an integral? ....or is the difference nonexistent or miniscule enough that I can just use my Buckmark and buy an integral upper for it?

Anybody shot both side by side? Thoughts?
TPayne
Silent But Deadly

Re: Integral Ruger or Integral Buckmark pistol?

Post by TPayne »

Get the Ruger. More companies cater to the Ruger MK series pistols than Buckmarks. There's also a heck of a lot more options for the integrally suppressed Ruger than the Buckmark... now that I think of it, I don't think I have ever even seen a company that produces an integrally suppressed barrel for the Buckmark. I, too, am looking to do an integrally suppressed Ruger. Mine will be built on a MKIII, but I haven't decided on which suppressor company to go with.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

TPayne wrote:Get the Ruger. More companies cater to the Ruger MK series pistols than Buckmarks. There's also a heck of a lot more options for the integrally suppressed Ruger than the Buckmark... now that I think of it, I don't think I have ever even seen a company that produces an integrally suppressed barrel for the Buckmark. I, too, am looking to do an integrally suppressed Ruger. Mine will be built on a MKIII, but I haven't decided on which suppressor company to go with.
SRT Makes one: SRT Integral Buckmark

That new YHM Integrally suppressed MKIII has a pretty cool design. I'd buy that new YHM MKIII or go with SRT for the Buckmark Barrel: YHM MKIII
TPayne
Silent But Deadly

Post by TPayne »

seattlite wrote: SRT Makes one: SRT Integral Buckmark

That new YHM Integrally suppressed MKIII has a pretty cool design. I'd buy that new YHM MKIII or go with SRT for the Buckmark Barrel: YHM MKIII
Wow. I didn't realize they made one.

That YHM integral looks very nice! I may contact YHM about that can.
toolfan91
Senior Silent Operator

Post by toolfan91 »

I wonder how the YHM compares to the SRT or TBA integrals...
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

As I understand it the Browning does not suppress well. People have reported that it has a LOT of chamber noise. Giving that it is open all the way around when the bolt cycles it is understandable. I'd go with the Ruger.
rat_dogratty
Silent But Deadly

Post by rat_dogratty »

+1 on the Ruger. I love my suppressed Mark II. Suppressed or unsuppressed I wouldn't waste my money on anything else unless you were just wanting to add some more guns to your collection.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Yep the Ruger's are the way to go..But I'd go with the fake integral like I did here..Just had a little sleeve made..ran some aluminum tape around the barrel and slide it over and screw on the can..Then instead of one tax stamp on one gun you can stick the can on any .22..I still haven't decided yet where to stick the site permanently..

The site in the first pic is just glued temporarily..The second pic is where I'm probably gonna stick it..When I had the gun threaded and the site was moved back it was drilled off center..part of the reason for the delay in my decision..I just dropped it off to have the hole filled and retapped..ahh its what you get for a 50 dollar thread job..LOL..Nah it was an honest mistake..

The Chondro in the third pic is just for shits and giggles..

If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
rat_dogratty
Silent But Deadly

Post by rat_dogratty »

Very cool Chondro. Never thought of doing it that way.
mtelkman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mtelkman »

Since the serial #'d part on a Ruger is the upper, when you buy it, am I correct in assuming the ATF considers it a dedicated suppressed firearm and not simply a suppressor like a barrel for a Buckmark would be?

Anybody know if the TBA weighs in the same as a Elite Iron or SRT? It appears those are about 37-40 ounces or so.

I have removed the Gemtech integral from my list simply because it is my understanding that they are significantly louder than the others. Has anyone compared a YHM to the SRT or TBA integrals for sound?
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

rat_dogratty wrote:Very cool Chondro. Never thought of doing it that way.
Thankyou..This is what made me think of it after I stuck it together for the first time..the receiver is an inch..the can is an inch..just filled in the gap..(Just get a Liberty can and ask them for a sleeve) I did have Liberty shave down the torque protrusion on the endcap from .070 to .003 so it looks flush on my 10/22 as well..Hell I got the sound I was looking for may as well go for the looks now.. :wink: (Oh the endcap doesn't blend perfectly because I had to send them the original to get the replacement...can't legally have two endcaps at once..I'll blend it myself sometime)

I was really set on getting an integral..Always been my favorite suppressed gun by far..But this is so quiet and with the look there is just no point..My dealer had a brand new custom take apart Ruger integral for 700 bucks a few months ago and I passed on it because of this combo..

rat_dogratty
Silent But Deadly

Post by rat_dogratty »

mtelkman wrote:Since the serial #'d part on a Ruger is the upper, when you buy it, am I correct in assuming the ATF considers it a dedicated suppressed firearm and not simply a suppressor like a barrel for a Buckmark would be?

Anybody know if the TBA weighs in the same as a Elite Iron or SRT? It appears those are about 37-40 ounces or so.

I have removed the Gemtech integral from my list simply because it is my understanding that they are significantly louder than the others. Has anyone compared a YHM to the SRT or TBA integrals for sound?
The Tube is serial numbered and registered. The pistol isn't mentioned, or recorded on my Form 4.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

mtelkman wrote:Since the serial #'d part on a Ruger is the upper, when you buy it, am I correct in assuming the ATF considers it a dedicated suppressed firearm and not simply a suppressor like a barrel for a Buckmark would be?
It's two firearms, the silencer and the pistol. One's NFA and one's not, they both get recorded on the 4473 and when it's transferred it has to be called in to NICS.
You could call Todd and ask. It'll depend on how long you want it and whether you want stainless or aluminum baffles.
Has anyone compared a YHM to the SRT or TBA integrals for sound?
I don't think any YHMs are in the wild yet.
mtelkman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mtelkman »

Diomed wrote:
It's two firearms, the silencer and the pistol. One's NFA and one's not, they both get recorded on the 4473 and when it's transferred it has to be called in to NICS.

Two firearms with one serial number?
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Serial number on the can and serial number on the gun..Which in this case both happen to be on the barrel/ super tightly threaded receiver...think its some giant 20 thread per inch deal which makes most people think they are press fitted in..

I think cans are considered pistols by law..

Diomed will correct me if I'm wrong by the early AM..Or a couple of the other guys that find me irritating in the next few mins :shock: (Its the quickest way to get people answers) :lol:

Which by the way where were you at the York show man? :(

Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

mtelkman wrote:Two firearms with one serial number?
To get hypertechnical about it, it's two firearms with two serial numbers. I can delve into the specifics if you like, but the short version is that they are two firearms produced (normally) by two manufacturers and each will bear a serial number.
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

mtelkman wrote:I have removed the Gemtech integral from my list simply because it is my understanding that they are significantly louder than the others.
The Gem Tech Oasis pistol was not made for Db comparisons. If you want uber quiet, look elsewhere. While I'm not a Gem Tech fanboy, it is a great choice for many people. On a 22/45, it is handy and convenient to carry so you might actually have it on your person when you need it. That 40 ounce 12 inch wonder Integral may meter a little better but, it does you no good locked up in a safe at home. ;)
mtelkman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mtelkman »

Thanks for all the info. I understand the whole two firearms, two serial #'s thing now. I wasn't aware that the barrel on the Ruger unscrewed although now that I think about it that makes sense. I am pretty set on an integral even though Chondros setup looks nice. I want a ported barrel for better sound reduction and I want the sight on the end of the suppressor part instead of the barrel part. If I use a thread on can the front sight would be in a slightly different position every time I threaded on the can. I also want whatever I buy to be able to be taken down for cleaning.

Right now I am thinking SRT or TBA, leaning toward TBA. The YHM is an unknown at this point and it might end up being loud like a Oasis. Too bad Thompson Machine doesn't offer one either. I am going to try to get ahold of SRT this week and ask a few questions.
TPayne
Silent But Deadly

Post by TPayne »

mtelkman wrote:.........Too bad Thompson Machine doesn't offer one either............
PM them. I happen to know they had a MKIII upper in their shop for an integral project. Unfortunately, they are mainly concentrating on getting higher caliber cans designed and built, but if there was enough of a demand for the integral MKIII, then they may start on it.
mtelkman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mtelkman »

TPayne wrote:
mtelkman wrote:.........Too bad Thompson Machine doesn't offer one either............
PM them. I happen to know they had a MKIII upper in their shop for an integral project. Unfortunately, they are mainly concentrating on getting higher caliber cans designed and built, but if there was enough of a demand for the integral MKIII, then they may start on it.
Done.
mtelkman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mtelkman »

Here is the response I got from AZDoug at SRT regarding Ruger vs. Buckmark.

"They meter the same one meter to the left of the muzzle, but the Buck may sound slightly louder to the shooter."
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

mtelkman wrote:Thanks for all the info. I understand the whole two firearms, two serial #'s thing now. I wasn't aware that the barrel on the Ruger unscrewed although now that I think about it that makes sense. I am pretty set on an integral even though Chondros setup looks nice. I want a ported barrel for better sound reduction and I want the sight on the end of the suppressor part instead of the barrel part. If I use a thread on can the front sight would be in a slightly different position every time I threaded on the can. I also want whatever I buy to be able to be taken down for cleaning.

Right now I am thinking SRT or TBA, leaning toward TBA. The YHM is an unknown at this point and it might end up being loud like a Oasis. Too bad Thompson Machine doesn't offer one either. I am going to try to get ahold of SRT this week and ask a few questions.
Looking at some TBA and YHM pictures, it seems that the YHM has the more simpler design and looks pretty easy to clean. I can't find a good picture of a disassembled SRT. Anyone have any links?
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

mtelkman wrote:Too bad Thompson Machine doesn't offer one either.
Have you asked? They do make them. They probably do them in batches.

Also, don't forget S&H Arms outside Tulsa, OK.
TPayne
Silent But Deadly

Post by TPayne »

Sid Post wrote:
mtelkman wrote:Too bad Thompson Machine doesn't offer one either.
Have you asked? They do make them. They probably do them in batches.

Also, don't forget S&H Arms outside Tulsa, OK.
Are you sure? Last time I asked, they had it on hold.
rat_dogratty
Silent But Deadly

Post by rat_dogratty »

Choose your integeral wisely. I really like mine, and it is quiet and very cool. BUT it is an older style. Ciener/Norrell style design (from what I understand), and it is a huge pain to clean if you shoot it a bunch. I would strongly consider a modern screw on can that I could take apart or soak in "the dip" I hear so much about on this site.

Just my opinion. By no means an expert, and I haven't had the chance to compare mine to many others.