Returning a Form1 stamp?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

este
Silent But Deadly

Returning a Form1 stamp?

Post by este »

Has anyone done this before? I want to return two form1 stamps for cans that I have just realized I will never really have a chance to build. My work is getting hectic, I think my girlfriend might be pregnant, and I just don't ever see myself having the time to really work on these. Even if I did make the time they will almost certainly come out more expensive and less quiet than something I could just buy.

I thought I read it is possible to send a stamp back in but does anyone know exactly what to do ?

Thanks,
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Returning a Form1 stamp?

Post by chingon »

I see them for sale at different places, stamp collectors love these.
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

I think he is talking about a refund.

If that is the case, I would send a notarized/sworn letter to the NFA branch stating that the suppressors were never manufactured. Send the letter along with the stamps back to the NFA and request a refund.

I imagine they will get around to issuing a refuend eventually.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
jbabb
Silent But Deadly

Post by jbabb »

chingon wrote:I see them for sale at different places, stamp collectors love these.
I just sold an integral MkII on a Form 4 and am left with my own stamp - can I sell that?
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Ruger MkII Guru and Collector

- SWR Trident 9
- SWR Spectre
- More Ruger MkII's than you can shake a stick at
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

jbabb wrote:
chingon wrote:I see them for sale at different places, stamp collectors love these.
I just sold an integral MkII on a Form 4 and am left with my own stamp - can I sell that?
Sure - it's just a stamp now. Collectors like to buy them (but not for face value)
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

WhisperFan wrote:I think he is talking about a refund.

If that is the case, I would send a notarized/sworn letter to the NFA branch stating that the suppressors were never manufactured. Send the letter along with the stamps back to the NFA and request a refund.

I imagine they will get around to issuing a refuend eventually.
Yea, refund was what I was getting on about. I was going to make something like an MK-9K but I saw what the dealer price is, and I just can't beat that. I'll call the ATF tomorrow and see what they say. If they will do it then great. Otherwise I guess it doesn't hurt to keep it, maybe one day I'll change my mind.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

They don't expire. Hang on to them, you just never know.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

Post by usp_tactical_45 »

tell me this, what if you have an sbr and you blow it up ( lets say you have an sl8 ) what do you do then ? out side of selling your stamp to a stamp collector is their any way you could do a serial change ( because the gun was blown up ) and have the new sl8 receivers serial put on the new paper work ?
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

If you ruin, or otherwise destroy an NFA item, all you can do is notify the ATF to remove the item from the registry due to a complete destruction of the item, and sell the stamp on eBay or to a stamp collector.

Not only will then not re-assign the stamp to another serial number, but if it is something like a sliencer on a Form 1, they will not allow you to cpompletely destroy the tube, and remake it with the same serial number.
Now - I have heard people say that if you did re-make a tube, as a Form 1 Bulder, and didn't tell anyone ... who would know. While I agree that no one would probably ever know - I like my freedom far too much than to play games with an agency that could (and would) send me to Federal Prison in the wink of an eye.
Last edited by WhisperFan on Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

Hang on to the things. They never expire. Doesn't mean you have to build them all in one day.... Create a tube some time in the next few years, and then by then technology will have gotten better anyway... We haven't hit the wall yet.

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

Post by usp_tactical_45 »

iam talking about if your sbr or something of that nature got messed up or you shot a hole threw the side of your suppressor tube
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

usp_tactical_45 wrote:iam talking about if your sbr or something of that nature got messed up or you shot a hole threw the side of your suppressor tube
Either repair it or scrap it. You can't make a new one without paying for it. A making (in the NFA sense) is a taxable event - which can be done once. Once it's made, that's it for that serial number, and I won't go into unusual situations where that wouldn't be the case because they don't apply here and wouldn't help you anyway.

Blow your gun up, and you pay another tax to replace it.
deadpan

Post by deadpan »

This is covered by 27 CFR § 479.172 Refunds.:
...When an applicant to make or transfer a firearm wishes a refund of the tax paid on an approved application where the firearm was not made pursuant to an approved Form 1 (Firearms) or transfer of the firearm did not take place pursuant to an approved Form 4 (Firearms), the applicant shall file a claim for refund of the tax on ATF Form 2635 (5620.8) with the Director. The claim shall be accompanied by the approved application bearing the stamp and an explanation why the tax liability was not incurred. Such claim shall be filed within 3 years next after payment of the tax.
You have to get F5620.8 from the TTB.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

It works just like how if you total your car and it burns up and is completely destroyed, you just don't get to remove the VIN plates and put them on another car.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.