Hodgdon recommended subsonic 308 load

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

johnsopa
Silent But Deadly

Hodgdon recommended subsonic 308 load

Post by johnsopa »

According to Hodgdon's help line:

Subsonic 308 loads
Bullet: 168 gr Sierra MatchKing
Primer: Fed 210M primer
Powder: 8 gr of Clays
COAL: 2.8"
Velocity: 1060 fps

Bullet: 168 gr Sierra MatchKing
Primer: Fed 210M primer
Powder: 8 gr of TiteGroup
COAL: 2.8"
Velocity: 1080 fps
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

Post by usp_tactical_45 »

they just emailed me this as well
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I figured it was better than starting a new one. I emailed Hodgdon a few days ago but haven't heard back yet so I thought I'd ask here:

Are there additional procedures to these loads such as lubing the bullets with moly or animal fat, boring out the flash hole to (unknown) diameter, etc. or do you load as usual?
Pitt2500
Silent But Deadly

Post by Pitt2500 »

Load as usual
You'll hear ALL kinds of modifications.
The secret to loading subs is to start hi & work down.
Be sure you either shoot thru a chrony or into a close target/berm/object where you can verify that the bullet has left the barrel & actually strikes something!
Subs are a ball to load/shoot/play with as a lot of what you've learned w/supers is different in the sub arena.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Thanks! I'm all set up for this loading adventure (Dillon 550B press, Chrony Master Beta [who the !@#$ named it the 'master beta'], etc.) but I'm naturally intimidated by the subsonic realm. I'll be using a Savage 10fp .308 with 20" barrel (1-10" twist) as the platform. Everything seems to be in order, it's just a big jump to take.
Pitt2500
Silent But Deadly

Post by Pitt2500 »

I wouldn't start reloading subsonics w/ a progressive as + or - a couple of tenths og a grain of powder could cause a problem.
I weigh EVERY charge when I'm loading subsonic so I know exactly the charge, velocity w/chrony & temperature (take a thermometer w/you as they can be temperature sensative) of each shot.
Again- start HIGH-FAST & then slow them down!
jmorris
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmorris »

I would trash any powder measure that threw charges that varied by a couple of tenths of a grain. Even a Dillon measure using extruded powder isn’t that bad.
tgbrowning
Silent But Deadly

Post by tgbrowning »

For the last three months I've been working on developing a subsonic load for 7.62 x 39mm caliber. I chose this cartridge for several reasons but, case volume and availability of brass were my primary considerations. I've tried several different powders and have made a few observations I'll share.

I found that I get the most consistent results using magnum primers with the flash holes drilled out to 1/8 inch. I tried loading with standard primers and standard flash hole diameters and recorded greater extreme spreads and higher standard deviations, using a Pact chronograph.

1/10th of a grain can make a lot of difference in the velocity of a subsonic load, especially when you are trying to maintain velocities right at the edge of subsonic/supersonic velocities.

I look for powders that will give me at least 50% load density. I throw the charges with a powder measure just short of my target weight, weigh the charge, then use a powder trickler to bring the charge up to the exact weight I am using. I don't lube bullets with animal fat or anything else. I have found that lightly crimping the bullet using a Lee Factory Crimp die, flash holes drilled to 1/8 inch, and magnum primers gives me the most consistent results regardless of the powder I use.

For .308 Win I would search this forum for loads using Trail Boss powder. Because of the way it is manufactured, it will give you a higher load density than Clays or Titegroup. But, Hodgden knows there business so I would certainly try the loads they suggested, as well. I did notice that they suggested magnum primers.

I've had the best results with heavier bullets than the 168 gr Sierra MatchKing. Presently, I am using 220 gr Sierra Round Nose Pro Hunter bullets in .308 diameter. However, Lapua makes a .308 200 gr bullet designed for subsonic loadings, that I intend to try as soon as Midway USA has them available again.

Generally, fast burning pistol or shotgun powders are going to give you the best results, from my observations and research. I am sure there are exceptions, but choose your loads carefully. Secondary detonation is no laughing matter.

T.
"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Elbert Hubbard
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

This may sound extremely stupid, and I'm open to being told so, but I've been trying to find loads that minimize the number of different components I'd have to use. I'm new to reloading in general and primarily am looking to load the following: .45 acp plinkers, .308 Win. supersonic, .308 Win. subsonic. I liked the Hogdgon recommended subsonic load because it used the same bullet (SIE 168 gr.) as my rifles like in supersonic loads and the same powder as some .45 acp pistol loads (Titegroup).

I figured this way, if I don't like this particular subsonic load I can still use the bullets and brass for supersonic loads and use up the powder in .45 acp plinker loads. Also, being a newbie, the fewer different components I have around the fewer mistakes I figure I might make. Once I get some experience I may really go for accuracy and diversify my loads. Right now, I just don't want to get my feet wet and not blow myself up.

The only snag I've found with the Hodgdon load is getting the powder and primers. The past two times I visited the Sporstman's Warehouse 'near' me they were out of Titegroup and I didn't even see an empty spot for the Fed 210M primers. Looking online, I'm having a hard time finding these primers also. Even if I could, the hazmat shipping fee may be cost inefficient if I can find another safe subsonic load from components that are locally available.

I'll do some searching on the loads recommended by forum members, but I'm a neophyte and getting load data straight from a manufacturer would have been a reassuring start.

EDIT: I've emailed Lapua from two different email accounts asking for recommended subsonic load data for their purpose-built subsonic bullet but neither received any response. Anybody else have luck with this?
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

Sportsman's Warehouse probably has CCI BR2 primers (mine locally did and were out of Federal 210M). CCI BR2 is their match Large Rifle primer and is as good or better than Federal 210M. I use CCI BR2 for 308 loads--both supersonic and subsonic. You're right, Hazmat fees are $20 plus the shipping costs, so buying locally is the way to go. Buy the CCI BR2, and you'll be happy. :-)

The same goes for powder and for example, Midway USA ships powder and primers separately with each incurring a separate $20 Hazmat fee plus shipping costs. So I always try to buy powder and primers locally. Perhaps you can pre-order Titegroup through Sportsman's Warehouse and they'll just call you when it is in?
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Due to inability to find the Federal Primers (or even TiteGroup... go figure) locally, I'm thinking of going the TrailBoss route. I did some searching and there is a lot of great info on Trailboss here, but would anyone care to share good, safe, starting load data for TrailBoss?