PPK .380 silencer?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

PPK .380 silencer?

Post by m1garand30064 »

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good can for a Walther PPK? Has anyone suppressed one of these? Wheer can you get threaded and extended barrels for them? Thanks!
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: PPK .380 silencer?

Post by chrismartin »

If I were going to silence a PPK, I'd get a DTA Nano or Thompson Poseidon

http://www.armamentsales.com/suppressors.htm

http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=99

Both are wiped silencers and very small. Tiny gun, tiny silencer.

As for your other question, I'm sure Tornado Technologies, ADCO or someone else could extend and thread that sucker. I've seen pictures, so I know they exist.

If you want a more universal silencer, any good 9mm silencer would do (Trident, TiRant, Evo, etc.)
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

chrismartin wrote:If I were going to silence a PPK, I'd get a DTA Nano or Thompson Poseidon

http://www.armamentsales.com/suppressors.htm

http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=99

Both are wiped silencers and very small. Tiny gun, tiny silencer.

As for your other question, I'm sure Tornado Technologies, ADCO or someone else could extend and thread that sucker. I've seen pictures, so I know they exist.

If you want a more universal silencer, any good 9mm silencer would do (Trident, TiRant, Evo, etc.)
Thanks for the reply! This is in my que, but it is behind the osprey 45 for my HK 45 tactical and Walther P99. I was just curious what the options were. My dealer was right. After I shot suppressed I dont want to shoot any of my guns without a suppressor. Thanks!
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

m1garand30064 wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation on a good can for a Walther PPK? Has anyone suppressed one of these? Wheer can you get threaded and extended barrels for them? Thanks!
Some years ago I saw at a show a .380 PPK where its barrel was replaced with that of a longer .380 PPK/S barrel. It
extended out the necessary length for threading. Metric TPI. A smith had performed the replacement, even
though the barrels are pinned in, as it they are also pressed in with the appropriate frame holder. Not for feint hearted.
Otherwise you would be risking permanently deforming piece.

Hope helps.
dragoon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dragoon »

I have one . I use a Trident . Its kind of big for the host , but highly efficient . It does not need the LID , as the barrel is fixed , so it reduces the bulk. The barrel is Federal Ordinance - out of production . They also sold a barrel press , for swapping barrels . Some people thread a PP barrel , as its 3/4" longer . The problem is blowback / noise out of the ejection port ... The Makarov in .380 is similiar , maybe a bit quieter because of the heavier spring ( 9 x 19 Makarov ) ... The .22 PPK with a Warlock is very satisfactory ...
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

The .380 is similar enough to 9mm that you can easily and safely use any 9mm silencer for a .380. I don't know if a specific silencer exists for the .380, but if it does, don't buy it; just buy a 9mm.

As was mentioned earlier, the Walther PPK is blowback, and not tilt-lock. Because of this, if you put a silencer on it, you will get a lot of back-pressure coming out of the ejection port. You can get around this by stuffing in a stronger spring, but this will take a minor bit of trial-and-error. Also as stated earlier, you will not need a 9mm with a booster because the gun doesn't have a tilting barrel design (its also why a .380 tends to be more accurate at shorter distances - well - that and recoil). Anyway, until you get that spring issue fixed, you should fully expect that the .380 blowbacks will be louder than a Sig 9mm, or a GLOCK 9mm, or a Beretta or whatever.

That said - the Walther is the quintessential gun to suppress, but I personally would seek out a FireStorm/Bersa .380 just for price difference. I'd also look at Tornado Tech for the threadjob - which will be a 'sleeve', as opposed to a simple 'thread'.

http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_Thunder380.htm

I believe Lipsey's also sells the gun with unusual gold highlights.

http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_Thunder380-2.htm

Bear in mind that my preference for the Bersa has absolutely nothing to do with disatisfaction with the Walther, its just that this type of gun is very simple, and very, very similar models can be had for much lower prices. I also like the Bersa because it can be had in the exact same style but in .22. However, my complaint on the platform is that in addition to being slightly harder to suppress, the ammunition is shot-per-shot more expensive than 9mm. So more expensive, louder, less powerful.... does it at least have greater capacity?

Doesn't change the fact that I want one, and have had a helluva time talking myself out of it for the last three years.

Not if, but when you get your system up and optimized, please come back to this thread and post pics, a timeline, what challenges you had, and what answers you developed. Like you, I also think that this combination (especially with a Thompson Poesoiden) is THE best rig - not the most practical by a long shot - but a sweet little rig none-the-less.