Bore Diameter

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jdm033056

Bore Diameter

Post by jdm033056 »

So here is my first post with I hope what is not a silly question. I am wanting to start a build. I own a 9mm and a 40 SW. So how critical is bore size within the suppressor efficiency. In other words if I want to build a suppressor for each caliber but only wanted to set up my tooling once, could I use the same bore size in both. Sorry if this sounds ridiculous I'm trying to educate myself as I plan.

What would be the correct bore size for each if not. What is the preferred margin of difference between caliber of bullet and bore size through the can. Would the effect of noise reduction be very or marginally noticeable? I'm not looking for complete stealth but if I have to elimiinate a critter at night I would like to do so without waking the neighbors.

Thanks
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Bore Diameter

Post by Bendersquint »

The tighter the bore the better the sound reduction as less gas escapes around the bullet as it travels through the can.

A 9mm having a bore with enough space to shoot a 40SW through would make the 9mm sound noteably louder than if it were the dedicated 9mm bore. I can't find my mic or I would give you some bore diameters of my 9mm cans for reference.

That would be a pretty cool design to have a can that can be used on a 9mm or a 40SW just change the booster/thread mount.

Hope that at least gives you a start. I say if you are making 2 cans, make 2 cans independently, with dedicated internals, you will appreciate the difference in the end.

-B
jdm033056

Post by jdm033056 »

Still looking for suppressor bore diameter for 9mm and 40 SW. Thanks
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I seem to recall Tits' publishing aperture diameters for at least some of the suppressors he tested when my membership was current.

Might be worth a cruise there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

I have three factory 9mm cans and all of them are .400 at the buisness end
jdm033056

Post by jdm033056 »

Thanks guys..