SBR Caliber and Barrel Length on a Form 1

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

acg1911
Silent But Deadly

SBR Caliber and Barrel Length on a Form 1

Post by acg1911 »

I live in Alabama ,have a couple of Form 1s to submit and need some guidance... If I submit a Form 1 and specify 300 whisper in the caliber section and 10.5" in the barrel length section, does this mean that I am limited to that configuration. In other words, if I put a 7.5" 223 upper on the SBR lower will I be compliant?
I have seen Form 1s with more than 1 caliber listed, but I have not seen more than 1 barrel length listed. My first SBR will be an AR, but I would like to have multiple uppers and still be legit. No doubt, this has already been done by some of you guys. Please help.
FA Gunner
Silent Operator

Re: SBR Caliber and Barrel Length on a Form 1

Post by FA Gunner »

List the barrel length and caliber that you will initially build the SBR with. Then you can change out to your hearts desire. If you are going to permantly change the caliber and barrel length, you can update the ATF.

I dont know if there are any state limitations for AL though.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

When you're making, you pick a configuration. Doesn't really matter what it is as long as it falls within the limits of whatever you're trying to do in terms of bore size and lengths (SBR, DD, etc.). When your application is approved, you make the firearm in the configuration listed on the paperwork. When that is done, it's considered "made". You can then change the configuration to your heart's content (as long as you don't jump classes, i.e. turn a SBR into a SBS, or an AOW into a DD).

Do not try to register multiple calibers or lengths. It's a waste of your time and theirs.
dtw13
Silent Operator

Post by dtw13 »

I listed 5.56 6.8 9mm .22 on mine and got it approved without any problem. YMMV
vincit qui se vincit
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

Pick the configuration you will build and the rifle will be kept in. You need to notify the ATF if you make a permanent change.

If you are paranoid send a letter to the ATF stating all the calibers and barrels lengths you plan to use, after the form is approved.
DIY Hunting
Silent Operator

Post by DIY Hunting »

I am selling my 11.5 inch 5.56 barrel and replacing it with a 12 inch 6.8 barrel because I can't afford two calibers. When I send in my letter informing the ATF of a permanent change in caliber, barrel length, and overall length, how do I know it has been changed in their system?
ds762
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ds762 »

well you could send in two copies along with a s.a.s.e. and ask them to mark one as COPY and send it back to you.

its also not even legally necessary to notify the ATF of changes made to the gun. They do request you do so but there is NO legal requirement to do so.
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

the ATF told me to put additional barrel lengths under 4.h.

i put "additional barrels 7.5", 11.5", 14.5"
mine was approved January 14th 2009
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

ds762 wrote:its also not even legally necessary to notify the ATF of changes made to the gun. They do request you do so but there is NO legal requirement to do so.
Some people are concerned about overzealous local LE making an issue with a different barrel length than the form.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

I want to know why you can't mark the lower as a "Multi" caliber

Or can you, and everything I have read is wrong
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Bowen1911 wrote:I want to know why you can't mark the lower as a "Multi" caliber

As it was explained to me by ATF, "multi" is something that works fine for non-NFA firearms. Apparently the regulations allow it. NFA firearms are required to be marked with the caliber, and "multi" is not a caliber.

A strict interpretation is that SBRs built using "multi"-marked lowers have to have a specific caliber engraved on them to meet the marking requirement.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

Diomed wrote:
Bowen1911 wrote:I want to know why you can't mark the lower as a "Multi" caliber

As it was explained to me by ATF, "multi" is something that works fine for non-NFA firearms. Apparently the regulations allow it. NFA firearms are required to be marked with the caliber, and "multi" is not a caliber.

A strict interpretation is that SBRs built using "multi"-marked lowers have to have a specific caliber engraved on them to meet the marking requirement.
I see. In my personal opinion, that is retarded. But oh well.

And by the way, you know almost too much about the NFA world. It's crazy.
In a good way
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

Caliber markings can be on the barrel.
Jimmy_Jr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jimmy_Jr »

I'm planning to SBR my T/C Contender frame. I asked my local dealer about multiple calibers and barrel lengths, because it's so easy to switch on a Contender. He's had several customers specify an initial caliber in 4.c. as normal, but then put "Multiple Calibers/Multiple Barrel Lengths" in 4.h. They've all been approved so far.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

If you are not worried about the extra wait if they send it back, roll the dice. I don't see what it gains you that a letter doesn't.

If your local LE is pulling out a tape measure and checking caliber after seeing the Form 1/4 you are probably going to be detained/arrested until they talk to the ATF anyway.
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

Jimmy_Jr wrote:I'm planning to SBR my T/C Contender frame. I asked my local dealer about multiple calibers and barrel lengths, because it's so easy to switch on a Contender. He's had several customers specify an initial caliber in 4.c. as normal, but then put "Multiple Calibers/Multiple Barrel Lengths" in 4.h. They've all been approved so far.
thats exactly what i did for my ar15, since thats exactly what the ATF told me to do