cell phone wi fi question

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

f.2
Silent But Deadly

cell phone wi fi question

Post by f.2 »

if you are in a hot zone, wi fi, whathaveyou, and your cell does not have an internet plan, can you surf for free?
Glock35
Silent But Deadly

Re: cell phone wi fi question

Post by Glock35 »

Yes You Can.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Supposedly but Ive never been able to get my HTC piece of crap to do it.

Free work phones...
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

yes, you can. My motorola droid has done it since day one
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I'd say it depends on the phone. My Android based phone asks if you have a data plan or only want to use Wifi when you set it up. You can also toggle wifi and mobile service on and off at any time. When I'm doing lots of media streaming and I'm near a wifi network I trust (like at home) I use that so I don't piss off my carrier by 'abusing' the unlimited data plan. I don't want them considering doing what AT&T did and limiting it.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
phoenix
Silent But Deadly

Post by phoenix »

Selectedmarksman wrote:I'd say it depends on the phone. My Android based phone asks if you have a data plan or only want to use Wifi when you set it up. You can also toggle wifi and mobile service on and off at any time. When I'm doing lots of media streaming and I'm near a wifi network I trust (like at home) I use that so I don't piss off my carrier by 'abusing' the unlimited data plan. I don't want them considering doing what AT&T did and limiting it.
AT&T limited the data plans because they saw that 97% of consumers used less than 2gb of data a month. they also wanted to open up the smartphone market to new consumers (such as why the iphone was avaliable to anyone who had an upgrade this coming year at no addtl. cost)

the $15 data is lucrative for them. why do i say that? because of the overage. they dont charge what they usually chare ($.05 per kb or some nonsense), they just tack on an extra $15 for 200 more mb.

still have my unlimited iphone data plan and still plan to use it till they pry it from my hands. being an AT&T agent helps though :mrgreen:
-Kyle

JHS27275: "When you throw down the gauntlet, don't be surprised if someone picks it up and slaps the s--t out of you with it."
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Yeah... I like how AT&T's solution was to limit their service rather than improve their infrastructure so they could continue to offer it...

In related news: AT&T/Apple fucking hate New York.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
Glock35
Silent But Deadly

Post by Glock35 »

There's a reason they declared bankruptcy before....outdated network. Comcast has spent a lot of $$ here update the peripheral and backbone for their broadband service.