another k baffle design - silencer newb

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

SlowRiderr

another k baffle design - silencer newb

Post by SlowRiderr »

Design I put together based on what I have read on the forums.

Going to mount her on a .22 rifle (Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22)

Any suggestions? Got the baffle idea partially from silencerresearch.com/norrell_custom_can.htm

SlowRiderr

Re: another k baffle design - silencer newb

Post by SlowRiderr »

some sim pics

velocity isn't calculating right. just wanted to look at the flow through the tube

LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Expansion chamber's too big for a .22LR . On my suppressor, I discovered that you need expansion chambers less than an inch long in order for FRP to be manageable.

You can improve the expansion of gasses at the blast chamber through favourable expansion geometry, i.e. after the gun's muzzle, make a nozzle angled 60 degrees so that the Coanda effect helps gasses expand better, making your blast baffle more efficient.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Add a muzzle brake to the end of the mount. :idea:
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

Not that it matters, but those look like M baffles rather than K baffles.

What flow modeling software are you using?
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
SlowRiderr

Post by SlowRiderr »

Armorer-at-Law wrote:Not that it matters, but those look like M baffles rather than K baffles.

What flow modeling software are you using?
Solidworks 2010. FloXpress is integrated in it
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

My .2 cents follow:

1) Agree with LavaRed, avoid FRP and make your Blast smaller than 1''
2) Theese are not K's but M's. Reconsider your design and go one of them, not a mix both. Already tried and doesn't work.
3) Bullet path is .245. Right ?. Go more for your first can unless someone else is building for you. .285
4) Go 7 inches total tube and spread Baffles at equal distances. 5/6 Baffles + Blast is all you need.
5) Fasten Front & Rear Caps fron inside insted of from outside. Thread caps outside.
6) Don't talk about spacer due to the fact that is not clear if those are K's or M's: In case of M's, do comunicate all the chambers.

If you are trying to make a dual Can (22 and 223) i do recommend you to start thinking on splitting Blast Chamber and Baffles Chamber so you can have one Blast per Caliber and share Baffles one. I tried and do OK. Tricky.

Best,

Paul
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...
SlowRiderr

Post by SlowRiderr »

PaulNoiseLess wrote:Hi,

My .2 cents follow:

2) Theese are not K's but M's. Reconsider your design and go one of them, not a mix both. Already tried and doesn't work.
3) Bullet path is .245. Right ?. Go more for your first can unless someone else is building for you. .285
4) Go 7 inches total tube and spread Baffles at equal distances. 5/6 Baffles + Blast is all you need.
5) Fasten Front & Rear Caps fron inside insted of from outside. Thread caps outside.
6) Don't talk about spacer due to the fact that is not clear if those are K's or M's: In case of M's, do comunicate all the chambers.

If you are trying to make a dual Can (22 and 223) i do recommend you to start thinking on splitting Blast Chamber and Baffles Chamber so you can have one Blast per Caliber and share Baffles one. I tried and do OK. Tricky.

Best,

Paul
going to post up a pic of the tweaked design soon

thanks for your advice, ill definitely check out k's and m's and research each individually

the tube is already threaded internally and the caps are threaded externally. it is clearly visible in the first image

As far as your advice for not making it myself if I want tight tolerances - the products I currently manufacture are +0 -.001 on average; I am fully aware of geometric tolerancing. I assure you someone else is going to make it sloppier than if I made it myself.

Now if you are concerned with the ID being too small in due to regards of functionality and safety, then I welcome your advice on the best ID for my design.

Thanks,
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

SlowRiderr wrote:
PaulNoiseLess wrote:Hi,

My .2 cents follow:

Best,

Paul
going to post up a pic of the tweaked design soon

thanks for your advice, ill definitely check out k's and m's and research each individually

the tube is already threaded internally and the caps are threaded externally. it is clearly visible in the first image

As far as your advice for not making it myself if I want tight tolerances - the products I currently manufacture are +0 -.001 on average; I am fully aware of geometric tolerancing. I assure you someone else is going to make it sloppier than if I made it myself.

Now if you are concerned with the ID being too small in due to regards of functionality and safety, then I welcome your advice on the best ID for my design.

Thanks,
I've had good results with .25" for a.22LR can. However, I do think you need to go at least .27" for the .223, in case of any variations on the bullet itself.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
SlowRiderr

Post by SlowRiderr »

LavaRed wrote:
I've had good results with .25" for a.22LR can. However, I do think you need to go at least .27" for the .223, in case of any variations on the bullet itself.
Thank you very much. I will make the change to .250 for the ID.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

I went with 17/64 (.265 ish) My threading jobs on my .22 rifle's weren't what I consider good threads for a can so thats why i bumped it up from .250. but no baffle strikes on all 3 .22's so I am good to go
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0