KAC T1 battery cap

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: 3, KevinB

lawndartdesign
Silent But Deadly

Re: KAC T1 battery cap

Post by lawndartdesign »

Looks just like mine. I put some grease on the threads, that'll help it twist all the way in. Try that next time.
mtdawg169
Silent But Deadly

Post by mtdawg169 »

lawndartdesign wrote:Looks just like mine. I put some grease on the threads, that'll help it twist all the way in. Try that next time.
Are you running yours with a single battery or two?
lawndartdesign
Silent But Deadly

Post by lawndartdesign »

Single. I can keep a spare battery in the stock if need be.
KevinB
Silent But Deadly

Post by KevinB »

It was not designed for two batteries.

I do not think there is room.
Kevin S. Boland

Director of Military Operations
Knight's Armament Company
701 Columbia Blvd.
Titusville, Fl 32780

Ph 321-607-9956
Cell 407-451-4544
Fax 321-383-2143

http://www.knightarmco.com
mtdawg169
Silent But Deadly

Post by mtdawg169 »

KevinB wrote:It was not designed for two batteries.

I do not think there is room.
Thanks for putting that rumor to rest Kevin. So what do you think is going on with these loose batteries?
KevinB
Silent But Deadly

Post by KevinB »

I am not sure, our Engineering department is looking into this and testing now, however since the O ring in ours is slighlty thicker than the OEM Aimpoint cap, it should not be having issues.

The only thing that I can think of that is happening is that our anodizing is a little rougher than Aimpoints, and people are not seating the cap fully.

We cannot duplicate the failures noted on the board.

If anyone is having issues, I would try some TW25B or similar grease type lube on the threads and see if that solves the issues, if not contact me (email), and I will forward your info to the person who handles RMA's.
Kevin S. Boland

701 Columbia Blvd.
Titusville, Fl 32780

Ph 321-607-9956
Cell 407-451-4544
Fax 321-383-2143

oldskool65
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oldskool65 »

this is what i got so far ill keep you posted
I have 2 caps need to get my other rife back to take a look

email sent

cant figure out how to post it correctly
Last edited by oldskool65 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevinB
Silent But Deadly

Post by KevinB »

Your link was to a https secure site - which will not work with an outside link

If you can email me the pictures I would appreciate it.
Kevin S. Boland

701 Columbia Blvd.
Titusville, Fl 32780

Ph 321-607-9956
Cell 407-451-4544
Fax 321-383-2143

randrewhoffer

Post by randrewhoffer »

I had a cap that turned off during light range use. I did not have the cap screwed down tight enough even though it felt tight the first time I installed the cap. Screwed it down and have had no problems since.
lawndartdesign
Silent But Deadly

Post by lawndartdesign »

I'd wager that what's happening for you guys is you're feeling the threads 'bottoming out' on the battery housing. But it's just the threads hitting resistance because of friction. If you throw some grease on the threads, and use some gloves, you'll crank it on a lot further and problems should go away. I've been running my caps since june without any problems.
mtdawg169
Silent But Deadly

Post by mtdawg169 »

lawndartdesign wrote:I'd wager that what's happening for you guys is you're feeling the threads 'bottoming out' on the battery housing. But it's just the threads hitting resistance because of friction. If you throw some grease on the threads, and use some gloves, you'll crank it on a lot further and problems should go away. I've been running my caps since june without any problems.
I added some grease to the threads today and it seated much better. I don't know why I didn't think of this before now. I had considered lube, but didn't want it running into the T1. I had a brain fart and didn't even think about using TW-25B. I think the anodizing is a little rough as Kevin noted. With a small amount of grease, it threaded in much more smoothly, especially after threading it on and off a couple of times to evenly distribute the lube. I won't know for sure until I can get back to the range, but I think it will be GTG.

PS- gloves are a must-have.
mtdawg169
Silent But Deadly

Post by mtdawg169 »

KevinB wrote:I am not sure, our Engineering department is looking into this and testing now, however since the O ring in ours is slighlty thicker than the OEM Aimpoint cap, it should not be having issues.

The only thing that I can think of that is happening is that our anodizing is a little rougher than Aimpoints, and people are not seating the cap fully.

We cannot duplicate the failures noted on the board.

If anyone is having issues, I would try some TW25B or similar grease type lube on the threads and see if that solves the issues, if not contact me (email), and I will forward your info to the person who handles RMA's.
Kevin, while the rubber ring in the KAC battery cap may be thicker, it seems to be set much deeper than in the stock aimpoint cap. With the stock unit, the o-ring is almost flush with the top of the threads and crushes as the cap is tightened.

I greased the cap threads and while it screwed on easier, it still has not eliminated the problem. The cap will not hold the battery securely under recoil. I went out to the range on Tuesday and it happened again after about 200 rounds fired. All I can figure is that either 1) it was designed for two batteries as someone posted earlier (not sure where that post went?) 2) the spec for the interior depth is off or 3) the o-ring is too thin.

I have already talked to Casey and mine will be sent in for replacement.
KevinB
Silent But Deadly

Post by KevinB »

Color me embarassed.

Yes it was designed to use a second battery. III and I just took some pictures, coldblue borrowed the camera right after and has it, so unless III used Jedi powers to get the pictures it will have to wait till Monday morning.
Kevin S. Boland

701 Columbia Blvd.
Titusville, Fl 32780

Ph 321-607-9956
Cell 407-451-4544
Fax 321-383-2143

Dos Cylindros

Post by Dos Cylindros »

So you can stuff a second battery in there? Interesting, and no issues with it damaging the other battery or damaging the small metal leaf springs that hold the battery in the optic? Mine will stay in the aimpoint box until I know for sure, as I know the stock cap works. It's a shame, because I like the slightly larger size of the KAC cap, but (and I say this with all due respect) how is it that you guys didn't even know what your own product was designed to do? I asked Casey about it holding a second battery when I ordered it and he said it was not designed to. Now apperantly it is. I certainly don't intend for this to sound like I am being an A*$, but how could niether you, casey or III not know what your products are designed to do? I am slightly dismayed, but alas at least it was not a very expensive part.
Elite Industry Professional

Post by 3 »

I think I did know. Come hang out with me or KevinB for a wk or so and see if you can keep up with all the s--t we have to. It is easy to see how a little item like this can fall through the cracks. The engineer who designed this(who is a talented guy) is no longer with KAC. I'm not going to get into that on a public forum.We will do some testing and revise the instructions. Remember we were not even going to offer this as a stand alone item but you guys wanted it so we put it out there. Sorry for the confusion.
C Reed Knight III
http://www.knightarmco.com/
http://www.lawmens.net/
mtdawg169
Silent But Deadly

Post by mtdawg169 »

Instructions? What instructions? :mrgreen:

just kidding. I really like the added grip of the KAC cap. I'm glad that this has been sorted out and to find out that there wasn't a production issue with the caps, just a little confusion. I had not gotten the chance to send mine back yet and now I'm glad I don't have to.
oldskool65
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oldskool65 »

I'll just say I told you so...
If you think about it why just make a cap for aesthetics and basically a little better grip ... But instead think about guy in combat that don't need a little batt dying on them like I said earlier genius
Thanks Kev and 3 for clearing it up
Thanks for offering the cap 8)
mtdawg169
Silent But Deadly

Post by mtdawg169 »

Edited - Due to misunderstanding of intent and overreaction on my part. discussion will be taken offline

Oldschool, PM inbound
Last edited by mtdawg169 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldskool65
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oldskool65 »

Thanks
Lefty 8)
Last edited by oldskool65 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dos Cylindros

Post by Dos Cylindros »

3 wrote:I think I did know. Come hang out with me or KevinB for a wk or so and see if you can keep up with all the s--t we have to. It is easy to see how a little item like this can fall through the cracks. The engineer who designed this(who is a talented guy) is no longer with KAC. I'm not going to get into that on a public forum.We will do some testing and revise the instructions. Remember we were not even going to offer this as a stand alone item but you guys wanted it so we put it out there. Sorry for the confusion.
Kevin,

Totally reasonable, and now that you posted this it is cleared up in my mind. Especially the part about the designer no longer being with KAC, as I understand how when you loose employees, you loose institutional knowledge. As I said, I was not intending to come off like an A hole. Thanks for making the cap available per consumer demand, and thank you for looking into this for us. My only area of concern that needs satisfying is if it will cause any damage to the leaf spring battery retainers inside the unit, so I guess I will have to wait and see.

Thanks again.
Elite Industry Professional

Post by 3 »

Free "backup battery caps " for the next 10 posters.
C Reed Knight III
http://www.knightarmco.com/
http://www.lawmens.net/
JohnnyO
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyO »

3 wrote:Free "backup battery caps " for the next 10 posters.
Cool

I'll take one.
lawndartdesign
Silent But Deadly

Post by lawndartdesign »

So much drama, over a little cap that's super neato! p.s, I'll take one! :shock: (I wouldn't mind a third, but I bought 2 a few months ago so my spot COULD go to someone else, it's still a very kind offer, Trey, as is typical for you guys)

Just to remind folks these are in fact awesome:

Last edited by lawndartdesign on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mtdawg169
Silent But Deadly

Post by mtdawg169 »

sign me up!

Sorry for the drama guys.

To Trey & Kev, thanks for all that you guys do for your customers.
tylerhinkel

Post by tylerhinkel »

Awesome cap, count me in