Form 1 50bmg suppressor

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Form 1 50bmg suppressor

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Form 1 50bmg suppressor

After making my 408 can I was ready to make a can for my 50bmg. 50’s are fun to shoot but the muzzle blast is horrendous.
After seeing this video I wanted one similar in size.(and the can JohnnyO made) And decited to make it 18x3inches dia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm0GdR7awzg
I wanted to make it out of stainless and I ordered materials from online metals.com.
I wanted to make it light as possible so I ordered the thinner wall .065 in 3inch dia.
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... &top_cat=1
and the bar material to make the baffles

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... &top_cat=1
I wanted the weight to come in at 6-7 pounds and thought the thinner wall would work and using aluminum spacers to cut the weight and provide more strength for the walls. I found some tubing that fit perfectly.
This would hold the baffles straight and make it lighter.
Baffles:
I went for a simple “tac16” design. 6 baffles and spacers. I thought more complicated ones would be heavier and harder to make.I originally was going to have 7 but dropped one to save weight. I back cut the holes to let the gas expand before hitting the next baffle and save weight.
I started with a .57 hole and ended with a .61 hole in the end. I “tapered” it to help avoid baffle strikes.

The baffles were simple but heavy to I turned off the “rim” of each one but the first one and it saved me half a pound in weight. The can still ended up being 8 pounds but being 18 inches long and 3 inches dia. I feel it came out pretty good.
I had a friend of mine tig weld it together:
It looked like he was working on a drive shaft not a suppressor!
It was now ready to me fired. My friend has a 55 gallon drum buried in his shop filled with sand and has rubber layers over it to set weapons so I fired a shot to see how she worked! I have to admit I was a little nervous before firing it but I was confident it would work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inhjxDfRxwA
I was pleasantly supprised with how well it sounded. Didn’t ring my hears and had a good tone. I fired a few more to make sure nothing was coming apart then drove out to on open area to see how it sounded away from the metal buildings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATmYBmz8lx0
It was very pleasant to shoot with no muzzle blast and recoil was not bad at all.
The gun: Original Cheytac intervention (made by EDM arms) with 50bmg barrel conversion from EDM arms. (Switch barrel)
I have some more detail work to do on the can before I coat it but I’m psyched how well it came out and works. I have about 280$ into it and only about 10 hours of lathe work. The baffles were done on a CNC machine and after programmed took 7 minutes to make each. I love the fact that I made it my self and how well it works.
did I mention this is huge. I'm 6'7"....
Last edited by jimmym40a2 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
dj_fatstyles
Silent But Deadly

Re: Form 1 50bmg suppressor

Post by dj_fatstyles »

where do you get the mounting system? im doing a form 1 for my ar15 and im kinda stuck on the mounting part. ID of tube is 1.860 on the nose. ill post a write up when its all done. great job on the can. just need to paint it now. :mrgreen:
SWR Spectre
SWR H.E.M.S. 2
Gemtech SOS-45
Silencerco SS Sparrow
Gemtech Outback IID
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I like. I would like to know more about how the .065" tubing and the end cap welds hold up. I have a design on paper that has similar external dimensions. I would have used all steel, including the spacers. They are easy to make from tubing and can be made twice is thin as the aluminum ones you used. I would have also used a 60 degree step baffle.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Dj it a simple thread on suppressor.
Ranb I will keep and eye on it. It should be fine.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

jimmy is turning into a legend here!!! jimmy, did you only eld the enc-caps to hold it all together? will there be any problems with the aluminum and ss together?
NP
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

delta9mda wrote:jimmy is turning into a legend here!!! jimmy, did you only eld the enc-caps to hold it all together? will there be any problems with the aluminum and ss together?
I didn't see any aluminum in the design - maybe I missed it.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

The spacers are aluminum to reduce weight.(I could not find any stainless the right size) The only welding is on the end caps. I think it will hold up fine. A friend of mine knows Mark White and asked him about the aluminum and he thought it would work fine. I thinned out the last few spacers to get more volume and save weight.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

I missed that part ... So the outer tube, the baffles and end caps are all SS and the spacers are AL ...

Got it.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
VanKamp
Silent But Deadly

Post by VanKamp »

Are you kidding me!?!? :shock: I gotta say, between this, the .408 can AND the ST Downfall video, somebody with more pull than me needs to nominate Jimmy for the Silencertalk Hall of Fame. At least this year's MVP.
JohnnyO
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyO »

Nice job Jimmy.
Sergeant
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sergeant »

Your big boars must make everything else lame! Another great job.
Steve
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Thanks Johnny0 for the inspiration!
maccrazy2
Silent Operator

Post by maccrazy2 »

Jimmy. How do you compare the recoil with the can to the muzzlebrake?
PS are you anywhere near denver and do you allow tagalongs looking to put a round thru one and hear it fired?? I am waiting on paper to clear on mine and I am looking for designs. Chris.
JacksonBrowne
Silent But Deadly

Post by JacksonBrowne »

Your initial testing setup is even more professional than mine! Very, very cool Jimmy.
07/02 SOT
METALMAN

Post by METALMAN »

Epic cool man!!!
only in death one finds truth
kogashuko
Silent But Deadly

Post by kogashuko »

Thats great. Makes me want to build a 50bmg ar with a bohica upper even more now. Before I had no place to shoot one (at least nowhere with distance) but my father just purchased a 10 acre lot behind me that backs up to a huge quary. He has gotten permission to shoot on a lot beside him too which allows for a lot of distance if setup right. The real issue with 50bmg at this point would be noise.

Great work man.

I especially like the video shot next to the storeage center. A shot with a BMG in an urban area and besides the site of someone holding what looks like a canon no one is the wiser.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Very nice. I'm curious on the mounting, it it a two point mount?
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

L1A1Rocker it's a simple thread on design
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

jimmym40a2 wrote: L1A1Rocker it's a simple thread on design
Thanks for the photo. I noticed that you went with 304 stainless rather than 316. Did you choose 304 over 316 for any special reason? I ask because I'm working on an integral 300 Whisper right now and went with 316 because of its superior corrosion resistance. Seeing this I'm hoping I didn't make an incorrect selection.

Again, VERY nice work on that beast.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

It was simply cost. I would have done 316 like on my 408 can but it was allot more if I remember right. Your on the right track!
kogashuko
Silent But Deadly

Post by kogashuko »

This seriusly makes me want to build a 50bmg. I have access to everything I need short of the welding stuff. However, was considering building one around a stainless bmg muzzle brake. I dont know if it would put too much pressure on the tube or not. Looks like the bohica muzzle breaks would work as a great first several baffels plus solid weld and alignment point for the whole setup.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Very nice. Who knows maybe Uncle would be interested for our guys in Afganistan. Patent that beatch and reap the rewards
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Did some final steps cleaned up the end and bead blasted it. Ready to be coated! shot it a few more times and it is holding up well. Here it is next to my AAC M-2000

ffemt596

Post by ffemt596 »

jimmym40a2 wrote:Did some final steps cleaned up the end and bead blasted it. Ready to be coated! shot it a few more times and it is holding up well. Here it is next to my AAC M-2000

Simply awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

If you built it to come apart the tube could double as a mortar.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!