Introduction: Suppressor fanatics from South Africa.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Echo7

Introduction: Suppressor fanatics from South Africa.

Post by Echo7 »

Just wondering if there might be anyone more "furriners" on this forum.
This is the only website with useful information for chronic suppressor fanatics like myself. Thanks to rsilvers, this is truly a GREAT service, and to PCArms for assisting with the pics.
We in South Africa do not have any laws regulating the manufacture or use of suppressors. We can build and speriment at will. You would think that great advances would be made locally because of this, unfortunately this is not the case.
Well, except for Gavin Smith (GMS Suppressors) of Cape Town, who is mentioned in both of Alan Paulson's books. Gavin is the most knowledgable person locally on suppressors and we speak regularly, regarding technical details and mostly baffle design and optimal spacing.
Hopefully he will introduce himself on the forum, as I sent him the link to register.
I have a GMS superimposed wipe suppressor on my Glock 17, which is very quiet, but limited accuracy.
I wish to build a quieter wipless design, I still am working on a baffle design, and I'm very interested in the JRC Navy .22lr baffle. This is from Silencer History & Performance Vol1 page 196. I like the complex nature of this baffle and would like some input on whether it would work, if built for 9mm proportions, incorporating a slanted wall.
I would be happy to share info on wipe & eccentric designs with those interested.
Thanks once again.... from across the pond!
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Welcome to the forum.
I believe that would be quite an undertaking, scaling up the JRC, I don't see why it wouldn't work, although it might become too ungainly, but nothing ventured nothing gained!
I would say to check around here for other ideas also, you might find something else that will fit your requirments.
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

I have been an admirer of Gavin Smith's work ever since I saw an article about his wares in SOF years ago (back when Peter K. was writing for them). The article detailed a number of pistol, rifle, and subgun cans, but what I found particularly cool was his tiny, eccentric wiped can on a Glock 19. I was glad to see many of the pictures from this article and much of the information was contributed by Peter K. and appears in Volume II of Silencer History and Performance. It would be great to see what Gavin has been working on since Volume II came out.

Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
www.advanced-armament.com
Echo7

Post by Echo7 »

The eccentric wiped can is what I have on my Glock, it is VERY quiet. I know Gavin was working on a KAC MK23 type suppressor, I haven't looked at the guts yet.
I'll call him this week to get some info, but he's moved premises so he might be a little busy..
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

Echo7,

Do you have any pictures of your Glock 19 can? I've just seen the one picture used in SOF and SHAP Vol 2.

Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
Echo7

Post by Echo7 »

Mike, haven't taken any pics yet. If you want, I will take the can apart this weekend and snap a few.
Do you want me to mail them to you directly, I don't know if PCArms will mind hosting them??
Cheers.
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

Echo7,

That would be great! I'm sure the other forum members would also love the opportunity to examine such a rare pistol silencer, so hopefully someone here on the forum could host the pics for you.

We have a few of the Knight's Armament "Snap-On" silencers for the Beretta M9. These are wiped units, and work amazingly well with the slide-locked Beretta's. It is one of my favorite set-ups.

Robert will be visiting in a few weeks to view the AAC reference collection. I'll make sure he gets some shots of the KAC Snap-On for everyone to see.

Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
Echo7

Post by Echo7 »

Sorry for the late reply, I was extremely busy these past few weeks.
Will post the pics this week.
PCArms
Silent But Deadly

Post by PCArms »

Echo7 wrote:Mike, haven't taken any pics yet. If you want, I will take the can apart this weekend and snap a few.
Do you want me to mail them to you directly, I don't know if PCArms will mind hosting them??
Cheers.
Email them to me, I don't mind, got lots of space.
Pat
www.ORL-LLC.com
OregonResearchLabs, LLC
Echo7

Post by Echo7 »

I spoke to Gavin yesterday, he would prefer to speak to you himself about the design of his silencer and about any pics being posted.

His email: [email protected]
I can only post pics of the outside of his silencer.
IceHandLuke
Silent But Deadly

Post by IceHandLuke »

What is the overall status on gun ownership in South Africa? I have been reading they are banning lots of stuff and going down the same road as Australia with a long term plan for total ban of all firearms. Or is it still a pretty nice place like it was in the 1970’s and 80’s?
Bring lawyers guns and money

http://www.awrm.org
http://www.freestateproject.org

If you know your history, then you know you are already a member.

Echo7

Post by Echo7 »

The status at the moment with regards to gun ownership is chaos!
Only about 10 people have been granted licences since the new Firearm Control Act came into effect last year. Even though they are not openly saying it, the government would like at total ban on all guns.
Silencers were on the "proposed" list, along with Tasers and long evil knives, but thankfully this was passed up.
The gun industry is its death throes because of this stupid act, thankfully some gunowners have waken up and threatened mass non compliance with the law, if its not re worked somehow.
As to the country, it's still as beautiful and wild as ever. More dangerous than before as well, criminals have become bolder due to an umotivated, short staffed police force. The gummint is more interested in AA policies and racial quota's than merit and skills.
Other than that, its your pretty "normal" African country.
I wish I could get out, and fast!! Any chance of me swopping places with those liberal hippy types who said they would leave the country if Bush was re elected??
Cheers.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

http://iafrica.com/news/sa/450140.htm

JOHANNESBURG
Black gun owners to march in Joburg

Tue, 14 Jun 2005

Black gun owners will march to Gauteng premier Mbhazima Shilowa's office on Tuesday to hand over a document detailing why they should own firearms, their association said.

The document would be handed to Shilowa at 11am on Tuesday, the Black Gun Owners Association (BGOA) said on Monday.

"Black gun owners need firearms for self-defence and are being refused all of their licences without compensation," the BGOA said in a statement.

"Black gun owners demand that the state president intervene in the running of the Central Firearms Registry to ensure proper service delivery and that people who are law abiding get their licences quickly so they can defend themselves."

The BGOA said the Firearms Control Act was used to discriminate against black people.

"...They cannot get licences quickly enough and they cannot afford to pay for the full costs of doing the training, buying a safe and then waiting to be refused a licence for up to a year," the BGOA said.

"If the state president does not intervene in the process and make it easier for black gun owners to get licences and to renew their licences, black gun owners will be told not to re-licence heir firearms and to reject the Firearms Control Act."
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

http://www.sundaytimes.co.za/zones/sund ... 70916.aspx

Firearms amnesty nets 80,000 guns

Saturday June 11, 2005 08:21 - (SA)

Safety and Security Minister Charles Nqakula has announced that 80,147 firearms have been collected so far during the firearms amnesty, according to media reports.

The amnesty period, which expires on 30 June, is not likely to be extended, he said. The amnesty is aimed at reducing the number of illegal firearms in circulation in the country and had been extended from April 1.

Nqakula was briefing the National Assembly's Portfolio Committee on Safety and Security on gun control in the country. "Any firearm that is taken out of circulation saves lives and it stops the commission of crime using firearms," he said.

Nqakula told the committee that the firearms amnesty has also - so far - netted 106 hand grenades, 23 rifle grenades and 24 mortars. "There are other South Africans who gave us anti-tank missiles, anti-tank grenades and aircraft rockets. But where are the launchers?" he asked.

"This is what some South Africans are keeping in their homes or elsewhere," the minister said.
IceHandLuke
Silent But Deadly

Post by IceHandLuke »

Best of luck to you and your family. I read where people are buying compound bows left over right just to have something to defend them from the land grab and scum bags that run wild. I would welcome you in my country any day but the best thing would be to stand and make things right. We had a great Virginian who said "Give me liberty or give me death". I would recommend posting a copy of our Declaration of Independence. That always makes people uneasy when they don’t believe in freedom.

When a government takes a step in removing the ability of its citizens from defending themselves it leads to the last step of slavery every time.

You can pull it from here.
http://www.law.indiana.edu/uslawdocs/declaration.html

God be with you all.
Bring lawyers guns and money

http://www.awrm.org
http://www.freestateproject.org

If you know your history, then you know you are already a member.

Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

suppressors around the world

Post by Zephyr »

Asides from the U.S., which other countries make quality suppressors? I've heard about companies in Finland... Which country makes the best?

And good luck to our South African list member(s) and their fellow citizens :)

Frank
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

- Ernest Hemingway, April 1936
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Re: suppressors around the world

Post by Artful »

ZephyrNewYork wrote:Asides from the U.S., which other countries make quality suppressors?
England, France, Germany, Swiss, Russia, Isreal are some that I can think of - not all allowed for ordinary citizens.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

best suppressors overseas

Post by Zephyr »

Thanks, Artful.

I'd love to go to Finland someday; supposedly there is no suppressor regulation over there. Hmmm, I'm overdue to visit some Finnish friends I met here in the US...

I wonder who makes the best suppressors overseas though. I'd love to find out someday.

Frank
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

Artful
Silent But Deadly

Re: best suppressors overseas

Post by Artful »

ZephyrNewYork wrote:Thanks, Artful.

I'd love to go to Finland someday; supposedly there is no suppressor regulation over there. Hmmm, I'm overdue to visit some Finnish friends I met here in the US...

I wonder who makes the best suppressors overseas though. I'd love to find out someday.

Frank
I don't think we have a definitive best suppressor make here in USA - everyone has their strengths - that's what make it interesting 8)
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

True that, Artful. From what I've learned so far from the list, right now I'm leaning towards both AAC and KAC for my Glocks and Remington.

F

Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

But remember that in some of the countries they are just trying to keep the noise down for the neighbors, not trying for quietest possible - just a good will thing and the prices have to be cheap so that they don't loose too much business - search a net a little and you'll find suppressors so cheap it'll make you wonder what american makers could do for mass production pricing. :?
Mr_Psmith
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mr_Psmith »

Resurrecting thread, hoping Echo7 will post pictures of exterior of his small wiped can.

Thanks.