Mounting a can

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

icebug

Mounting a can

Post by icebug »

Hi folks!
I have a hunting bolt action rifle in .308 caliber w/o open sights.
I'm not really keen to cut a thread on the muzzle, so I'm wandering is there any other efficient/safe way how to mount a can without having the muzzle threaded?

Any tips, diagrams, etc. would be highly appreciated!

Cheers,
d.
WasDustyJacket
Silent But Deadly

Re: Mounting a can

Post by WasDustyJacket »

Not really.
Any sort of QD mount would also need to be threaded on.

It is easy enough and cheap enough to get it threaded then have a thread protector or flash hider on the threads when the can is not.

My thread protector is not stealthy, but if you get one to match your barrel you should be good.

And you can uncrew it and add a can:
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Threading is the only option..There are a number of machinists/gunsmiths that will make you a thread protector so slick that you will be the only one to know its threaded..

We have to assume your asking because you don't like the look of the threads..There is no drawback to theading a barrel other than the cost..If they are not cutting the barrel down then the crown is not even touched.

I just saw the new AAC bolt gun..pretty cool for 595.00..
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

icebug wrote:Hi folks!
I have a hunting bolt action rifle in .308 caliber w/o open sights.
I'm not really keen to cut a thread on the muzzle, so I'm wandering is there any other efficient/safe way how to mount a can without having the muzzle threaded?

Any tips, diagrams, etc. would be highly appreciated!

Cheers,
d.
From the dark recesses of exhausted prefrontal lobes I remember having once seen in Europe a coupling
on the lines of the M1 Carbine flash hider whose front was threaded. [ e.g., see << http://www.keepshooting.com/firearmacce ... -hider.htm >> ]
It was firmly attached and anchored around the front sight, and the front portion threaded.

Also, was there not once on this forum a hand machined brass cylinder that slipped over the barrel with a large notch
cut where the front sight was. It was pushed on, twisted, and locked in place.

Then there have been versions along the lines of a lathe 'cathead'. [ << http://www.americanmachinetools.com/how ... _lathe.htm >> &
<< http://www.chaski.com/homemachinist/vie ... 23&start=0 >> ]
A set of machine bolts would hold it onto the barrel, etc.

BUT! For a .308 round though one should be chary of 'dicking around'.
Best advice has been given and should be followed: leave the conversion to a professional.
Humorously put "Do not attempt at home without a grown up present".