DeGroat NANO on CZ-83 32 ACP RANGE VIDEO

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

jerrytofdallas
Elite Member

DeGroat NANO on CZ-83 32 ACP RANGE VIDEO

Post by jerrytofdallas »

This is a short range video of DeGroat NANO mounted on CZ-83 32acp. We were shooting Fiocchi FMJ 73gr. Mark Hipes did the custom threading and adapter. Weapon functions flawlessly and is dead on point of aim at 25 yds. His contact info is Mark A. Hipes, P.O. box 600142, Dallas, Texas 75360 214-739-5941

View My Looxcie Video

View My Video

View My Video

Last edited by jerrytofdallas on Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
M42K,762SD,416SD,Evo40,ScarH,Cyclops,Aviator,5.7,Prodigy,Stinger,Phoenix,UltraII,Spec2K,TT,T3 AAT Badlander,HEMS2,T9,Warlock,Spectre,Universal,Nano,GT,5.7,OasisR,OBII,MKIIIPro,Comanche,Odessa Osprey
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: DeGroat NANO on CZ-83 32 ACP RANGE VIDEO

Post by Selectedmarksman »

This thumbnail is like the Nano: small, but FULL of AWESOME 8)

Thanks for the vid. That setup looks perfect for my girlfriend, if I can talk her into purchasing her own NFA to avoid storage/legal complications. How much do CZ-83's go for these days?
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
jerrytofdallas
Elite Member

Post by jerrytofdallas »

Selectedmarksman wrote:How much do CZ-83's go for these days?
MSRP - $499.00, I see them at local gun shows for $425 - $475. Lot's of 380acp's but the 32acp's are rare. In my humble opinion the CZ-83 and CZ-75 are two vastly unappreciated pistols. I carry my CZ-83 32acp with the NANO can and two spare 15 rd mags just about everywhere I go plus it's my bedside gun. I own just about every make and model Glock, HK, Sig, Kahr etc but find the CZ's to be my favorite SHTF pistols. Mainly because they always go boom when I pull the trigger, never jam, feel extremely natural in my hand and are the most accurate pistols I own.
M42K,762SD,416SD,Evo40,ScarH,Cyclops,Aviator,5.7,Prodigy,Stinger,Phoenix,UltraII,Spec2K,TT,T3 AAT Badlander,HEMS2,T9,Warlock,Spectre,Universal,Nano,GT,5.7,OasisR,OBII,MKIIIPro,Comanche,Odessa Osprey
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Nicely presented and quite informative.

It was bruited about in 1990 that Dr. Gerald Bell, who
was building a Super Gun for the Iraqis to 'reach out and touch' Israel, was introduced to the merits
of the .32 suppressor, a less then super gun, by perhaps the Mossad.

His story and movie about him starring Frank Langella are interesting fair.

Thanks.
atomchaser
Silent Operator

Post by atomchaser »

Historian wrote:Nicely presented and quite informative.

It was bruited about in 1990 that Dr. Gerald Bull, who
was building a Super Gun for the Iraqis to 'reach out and touch' Israel, was introduced to the merits
of the .32 suppressor, a less then super gun, by perhaps the Mossad.

His story and movie about him starring Frank Langella are interesting fair.

Thanks.
Fixed it for ya'. Intesting character indeed.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Very nice, I may be contacting Mr. Hipes soon.

Thanks for the pics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

Glad you like it Jerry!
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
jerrytofdallas
Elite Member

Post by jerrytofdallas »

chili17 wrote:Glad you like it Jerry!
I love it Chris! Your Dad is a true craftsman and a walking encyclopedia of gun/suppressor information. I could talk to him for hours. Absolutely flawless execution and function. The pictures and video say it all.
FSCJedi
Silent But Deadly

Post by FSCJedi »

WOW! Something like this would be IDEAL to have done to my Walther PPK! I thought getting a suppressor that close to the frame could only be done via internal threads or by lengthening the barrel for threading. This looks great! It lets you keep the traditional/unaltered look of the pistol when the suppressor isn't attached, which is completely what I want! I can see this being in my future...
"I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use it." - Matthew Quigley

Keep your powder dry. Molon labe!
Biggus

Post by Biggus »

Fantastic. Have you tried any other suppressors on the '83?

Good to see someone with a blowback .32 effectively suppressing it.
FSCJedi
Silent But Deadly

Post by FSCJedi »

Biggus wrote:Fantastic. Have you tried any other suppressors on the '83?

Agreed. It really does seem that even though it's a blowback .32, it still suppressed really well with the NANO. I wonder what the .32 meters at?
"I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use it." - Matthew Quigley

jerrytofdallas
Elite Member

Post by jerrytofdallas »

FSCJedi wrote:
Biggus wrote:Fantastic. Have you tried any other suppressors on the '83?

Agreed. It really does seem that even though it's a blowback .32, it still suppressed really well with the NANO. I wonder what the .32 meters at?
Haven't tried any other cans on it yet and don't have any equipment to do scientific measurement and testing with but we shot it all day without ear plugs without any discomfort whatsoever. Hearing safe is a subjective term in my opinion but by most common measures I believe this combo would qualify as hearing safe.

I would add that when we charged the can per the instructions from James with clear wire pulling jell provided with can and used solid 1/4" wipe that there was no discernable 1st round pop or degradation in noise suppression from shot 1 thru 15 of full magazine of 73 gr FMJ Fiocchi clocking 980 fps and 155 ft lbs.

I subscribe to the school of thought that if the shooter does his part with shot placement, caliber is secondary. If you noticed, there was minimum muzzle jump with can. Very controllable and easy to put bullets right where you are aiming. Almost like an extension of your hand and pointing your finger. Good article here: http://shilohtv.com/?p=2720

I have been obsessed with suppressing the CZ-83 32acp with NANO from the day James announced the NANO. I just had a gut feeling this would be a really effective combo and turns out my gut was right. No FRP, no change in poi, extremely accurate & compact 15 rd. package in a caliber that was European law enforcement & spook community standard for 80+ years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_ACP . Doesn't get much better than that :wink: .
Last edited by jerrytofdallas on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FSCJedi
Silent But Deadly

Post by FSCJedi »

jerrytofdallas wrote:Haven't tried any other cans on it yet and don't have any equipment to do scientific measurement and testing with but we shot it all day without ear plugs without any discomfort whatsoever. Hearing safe is a subjective term in my opinion but by most common measures I believe this combo would qualify as hearing safe.

I would add that when we charged the can per the instructions from James with clear wire pulling jell provided with can and used solid 1/4" wipe that there was no discernable 1st round pop or degradation in noise suppression from shot 1 thru 15 of full magazine of 73 gr FMJ Fiocchi clocking 980 fps and 155 ft lbs.

I subscribe to the school of thought that if the shooter does his part with shot placement, caliber is secondary. If you noticed, there was minimum muzzle jump with can. Very controllable and easy to put bullets right where you are aiming. Almost like an extension of your hand and pointing your finger.

I have been obsessed with suppressing the CZ-83 32acp with NANO from the day James announced the NANO. I just had a gut feeling this would be a really effective combo and turns out my gut was right. No FRP, no change in poi, extremely accurate & compact 15 rd. package in a caliber that was European law enforcement & spook community standard for half century. Doesn't get much better than that :wink: .
Do you have a .22LR can to compare the sound too? I use my SWR Spectre for .22 suppression and am quite happy with the sound. Now, I know it's one of the best out there for this purpose, but I'm curious how the .32 suppressed with the wet/wiped NANO sounds compared to a dry .22LR.

My love affair with suppressing the .32acp began with THE spook, James Bond. I later on found out that blow-back guns aren't the greatest for suppression, but this really shows me that it'll work just fine. The Thompson Machine Poseidon may be better by the numbers, but I just don't think it would look right on a compact pistol like a PPK.

Am I understanding correctly that it was your father that did the threading/adapter? Would he be willing/able to thread a Walther barrel? Side note: this is an OLD Walther... 1939 made in the original factory in Thur before it was destroyed. Before people start yelling at me for "destroying a piece of history", I don't have any safe-queens. My PPK is a shooter and one of the best I own. I love her and treat her right, that's why I'm so intent on keeping the stock look when it's not being suppressed, so extending and threading is out of the question.

jerrytofdallas
Elite Member

Post by jerrytofdallas »

FSCJedi wrote: Do you have a .22LR can to compare the sound too? I use my SWR Spectre for .22 suppression and am quite happy with the sound. Now, I know it's one of the best out there for this purpose, but I'm curious how the .32 suppressed with the wet/wiped NANO sounds compared to a dry .22LR.

My love affair with suppressing the .32acp began with THE spook, James Bond. I later on found out that blow-back guns aren't the greatest for suppression, but this really shows me that it'll work just fine. The Thompson Machine Poseidon may be better by the numbers, but I just don't think it would look right on a compact pistol like a PPK.

Am I understanding correctly that it was your father that did the threading/adapter? Would he be willing/able to thread a Walther barrel? Side note: this is an OLD Walther... 1939 made in the original factory in Thur before it was destroyed. Before people start yelling at me for "destroying a piece of history", I don't have any safe-queens. My PPK is a shooter and one of the best I own. I love her and treat her right, that's why I'm so intent on keeping the stock look when it's not being suppressed, so extending and threading is out of the question.
I have all kinds of 22 cans and platforms to mount to but haven't done a side by side comparison with 32 NANO combo yet but I'm inclined to think the 22 dry is still probably a tad quieter. I'll try and get back to the range and video a side by side of various setups.

No Mark Hipes is not my Dad. He's Chili17's (a regular poster on this forum) Dad. I don't know if he could thread your Walther. It all depends on barrel diameter and wall thickness and if there is enough "meat" to thread without weaking to the point of failure. You'll have to ask him.
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

yes, you can thread a ppk in .32
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
FSCJedi
Silent But Deadly

Post by FSCJedi »

chili17 wrote:yes, you can thread a ppk in .32
WIN!!!

I just called your dad and left a message asking such. I look forward to talking with him and getting details (cost, shipping, etc...). Looks like I'm gonna have to order me a NANO...

jerrytofdallas
Elite Member

Post by jerrytofdallas »

This is new video shot with Looxcie minature over the ear camera http://www.looxcie.com/

View My Looxcie Ear Cam Video
FSCJedi
Silent But Deadly

Post by FSCJedi »

jerrytofdallas wrote:This is new video shot with Looxcie minature over the ear camera http://www.looxcie.com/

View My Looxcie Ear Cam Video
Great video. Really gives a good idea of how quiet the suppressor makes the pistol. Thanks! I'd still love to see a comparison between a .22 suppressor and the NANO on the .32 when you get a chance. 8)

Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

FSCJedi wrote:WOW! Something like this would be IDEAL to have done to my Walther PPK! I thought getting a suppressor that close to the frame could only be done via internal threads or by lengthening the barrel for threading. This looks great! It lets you keep the traditional/unaltered look of the pistol when the suppressor isn't attached, which is completely what I want! I can see this being in my future...
The PPK/S barrel is longer than the PPK's [ No s*&t Sherlock! :) ]
and can be substituted in the PPK with the proper press out jig that
is used by factory, but once the design and procedure are understood they can be emulated in iron and screw.

[ << http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=550397 >> ; "Walther barrel replacement requires a special press device to press the barrel out and a new one in.
Trying to drive it out will distort and ruin the frame. You can manufacture a press with two pieces of heavy steel plate, two large threaded rods and some nuts." - Dfariswheel ]

Brownell's used to sell the correct metric tap and die that would perform the task.

On the other hand the thought of one's drilling into the barrel and threading makes one's jewels leap up for safety
as felt in one's first being 'defenestrated' from a perfectly fine aerodynamic metal womb. :)

The resulting attenuation, I have been told, is not worth the effort.

"Chacun à son goût, James" - Q :)
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Addendum:

Jig and Fixture for removing Makarov barrel that can be adapted for PPK barrel removal.

<< http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/n ... ak/v1a.jpg >>

and

<< http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/n ... ak/v3a.jpg >>
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Great info Jerry but I want to see some night vision hooked up to it and a pile of coyotes.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
jerrytofdallas
Elite Member

Post by jerrytofdallas »

jimmym40a2 wrote:Great info Jerry but I want to see some night vision hooked up to it and a pile of coyotes.....
Sorry Jimmy but she's a little small for my thermal scope. Here are some pic's of my hog & yote hunting rig.

I use a AAC SCAR-H SD on Kel-Tec RFB and shoot sub-sonic "Thumpers". Sorry for the poor pics. Photograpy is not one of my skills.

With this setup I can change out back optics without touching EoTech or DBAL-A2 laser and upseting their zero's.
First 2 pics are of EMX Zebra thermal scope with its own recticle behind EoTech and green laser. Great for pigs and coyotes in heavy brush day or night.

These two are of PVS-14 / DBAL-A2 laser - Illuminator which I use for pigs and coyotes in open fields at night.

Last two are of EoTech 4X Magnifier which is for daytime pig shooting in open fields.

jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Now we are talking...................Nice rig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
James DeGroat
Elite Industry Professional

Post by James DeGroat »

The ear cam was pretty cool.
James DeGroat
President
DeGroat Tactical Armaments, LLC.
www.ArmamentSales.com

Specializing in the 7.62mm Minigun, Suppressors, and NFA Weapons/Accessories (including Artillery and Flame Throwers).
jerrytofdallas
Elite Member

Post by jerrytofdallas »

Historian wrote:The resulting attenuation, I have been told, is not worth the effort.
I have always been led to believe the same thing about straight blowback actions and I think it may be somewhat true with 380acp but I'm very pleased with the result on my 32acp. Most definitely worth the effort in my humble opinion but then beauty is in the eye of beholder, or in this case, ear of the listener.

To my eye and ear this combo of NANO and CZ-83 32acp comes as close to the proverbial "Hollywood" representation of a suppressed pistol as any I have seen or owned. When was the last time you saw James Bond with a T-9, Ti-Rant or Osprey screwed on the end of his PPK :wink:

James DeGroat has designed a pretty amazing little can with his NANO. Even mounted to my Glock 26 it's amazingly quiet with Special K's and a little gel. I haven't had any cycling problems on any of my weapons and I have tried it on a bunch.