SRT Arms Suppressors?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Scotty G

SRT Arms Suppressors?

Post by Scotty G »

Hi Gang,

New to the forum; hello to all!

I ran a search and came up empty on this topic, so I'm asking... Does anybody here have experience with SRT Arms in Phoenix, Arizona? I'm considering one of their suppressors as my first one, as a co-worker recommended one highly. Materials versus cost are excellent, and Doug seems to be a very straight and honest shooter on his web site.

I'm going to run a 7.62 can on 7.62, 6.8, and 5.56.

Thanks for any input you can give me. I appreciate it.
Scotty G
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Re: SRT Arms Suppressors?

Post by Sigproshooter »

Scotty G wrote:Hi Gang,

New to the forum; hello to all!

I ran a search and came up empty on this topic, so I'm asking... Does anybody here have experience with SRT Arms in Phoenix, Arizona? I'm considering one of their suppressors as my first one, as a co-worker recommended one highly. Materials versus cost are excellent, and Doug seems to be a very straight and honest shooter on his web site.

I'm going to run a 7.62 can on 7.62, 6.8, and 5.56.

Thanks for any input you can give me. I appreciate it.

I have a Shadow and a Hurricane q/d. Both are excellent cans.

Check out unbiased Mil-std metered numbers at NFATALK.com free to compare. Both my SRT cans are on there.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
Skunk
Silent Operator

Post by Skunk »

I have 4 SRT suppressors in 22rf, 22cf, 30 cal, and 9mm, as well as several other brands.

The SRT's are excellent cans, I very satisfied with them
AllenArms
Silent But Deadly

Post by AllenArms »

We have and have sold a few of there integral 10/22's. They sounded great and preform very well. Doug is a great guy.
Randall Durham
NFA SALES
Allen Arms Inc.
1210 Poinsett Hwy
Greenville,SC 29609
Ph-864-250-2007
Fax-864-271-0806
[email protected]
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

Their Hurricane performed very well in testing and I plan on getting one the the future. Also their 9mm integral upper is the s--t.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
Scotty G

Post by Scotty G »

Thanks very much, guys. More opinions and reviews are welcome.
Scotty G
Louis
Silent Operator

Post by Louis »

I have an SRT: Comanchi (22LR), Shadow(308), Hurricane(223), Shadow(300Mag), Shadow(338Lapua), Comanchi(17HMR), Odessa(22LR), Custom suppressor(32ACP),Special order XL HUrricane for a 22-250AI, Integral Rugar MKII(22LR), Integal Rugar rifle(44Mag) To say I like SRT is an understatement.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it."- John Galt("Atlas Shrugged"-Ayn Rand)
Scotty G

Post by Scotty G »

Again, thank you! Can you guys list your shooting backgrounds? Civilian, military, civvie competition, etc.? Just to give the feedback some more color. Thanks.

I'd put more weight on feedback from guys that have shot these cans in their everyday "work" (professionals with an American flag on their green/tan/camo uniform) or civvies that have a lot of experience with cans. All feedback and personal experience is appreciated!

What did you find POI shift to be on what platform?

What was easy about adopting this hardware?

What would you improve?
Scotty G
Dan
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dan »

SRT makes some good cans. I have the extended shadow 300 win mag can. It is really solid, but heavy. Get one of the TI cans he makes.

A rifle caliber can is not the best for a first can. Start with a 22 or 9mm.
Scotty G

Post by Scotty G »

I don't own a .22 or a 9mm! :D
Scotty G
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Scotty G wrote:I don't own a .22 or a 9mm! :D
So buy the 22 suppressor then buy a host :)

Honestly though, while SRT has a great reputation and I'm sure the quality is top notch. I wouldn't buy ANY rifle can right now. It's SO close to SHOT and I expect at least two mfgs to be announcing new rifle cans and line ups.

I would WAIT.
Scotty G

Post by Scotty G »

este,

Thanks, I know waiting is good advice. I've been thinking about a .22LR for my girlfriend and I, but she shoots my .40, .45, and both ARs quite well. :D

As for waiting, my requirements don't push any envelopes that would make waiting all that important to me. I'm pretty decided on getting a .30 can for my upcoming XCR-M, and my 6.8 SPC and 5.56 already on hand.

Having said that, what's the word in suppressor-world on anything new or advanced?

I don't need the best-est, most-est, etc. A solid suppressor for a good price meets my needs, and I haven't found anybody that hasn't had something good to say about SRT yet. Best of all, he's local.

More input is always welcome. Thanks to everyone so far!
Scotty G
Rusty_Shackleford

Post by Rusty_Shackleford »

Dan wrote:SRT makes some good cans. I have the extended shadow 300 win mag can. It is really solid, but heavy. Get one of the TI cans he makes.
His TI cans are simply great. As for heavy, *any* manufacturer's stainless cans are heavy. It's a function of the materials.
Dan wrote: A rifle caliber can is not the best for a first can. Start with a 22 or 9mm.
That makes no sense to me. This isn't like buying your first gun. A suppressor makes ANY firearm more pleasant to fire. They are not harder or easier to use depending upon caliber, rifle vs. pistol, or experience with suppressors. It's also not like other firearms in that you can start small, get experience and sell it off and upgrade later. Suppressors, unlike guns, have a comparably low resale value, holding half or less of their original purchase price, and NONE of the $200 tax stamp. As such, get the suppressor for the firearm you plan to shoot suppressed the most. I have suppressors for every platform I shoot, but my first was for a .338 Lapua! The reason for it should be obvious if you've ever fired one of these rifles. The recoil reduction is unmatched by any brake I have ever tried, and sound reduction - well, that's a no-brainer. The fact of the matter is, I never saw a need for a .22 suppressor until I got one for the Lapua, then the '.06, then the .45 ACP, then the...... you get the idea.
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

Rusty_Shackleford wrote:
Dan wrote:SRT makes some good cans. I have the extended shadow 300 win mag can. It is really solid, but heavy. Get one of the TI cans he makes.
His TI cans are simply great. As for heavy, *any* manufacturer's stainless cans are heavy. It's a function of the materials.
Dan wrote: A rifle caliber can is not the best for a first can. Start with a 22 or 9mm.
That makes no sense to me. This isn't like buying your first gun. A suppressor makes ANY firearm more pleasant to fire. They are not harder or easier to use depending upon caliber, rifle vs. pistol, or experience with suppressors. It's also not like other firearms in that you can start small, get experience and sell it off and upgrade later. Suppressors, unlike guns, have a comparably low resale value, holding half or less of their original purchase price, and NONE of the $200 tax stamp. As such, get the suppressor for the firearm you plan to shoot suppressed the most. I have suppressors for every platform I shoot, but my first was for a .338 Lapua! The reason for it should be obvious if you've ever fired one of these rifles. The recoil reduction is unmatched by any brake I have ever tried, and sound reduction - well, that's a no-brainer. The fact of the matter is, I never saw a need for a .22 suppressor until I got one for the Lapua, then the '.06, then the .45 ACP, then the...... you get the idea.
I think a lot of us shoot .22 LR more than anything else. Which is probably why it was suggested, cheap shooting. I know I use my .22 cans the most. I'd sure love to have a .338 Lapua w/can though,,, :D

Plus some people seem to be really put out, that rifle cans don't actually sound like Hollywierd movies. .22 LR can is closest,,, :lol:

Yes, SRT does make good cans,,,
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

Rusty_Shackleford wrote:The recoil reduction is unmatched by any brake I have ever tried

I must disagree, as the brake on the AR-50 works better than a Cyclone from the 2 shots of 50 bmg i have taken- one with brake, one with can

on any "small" caliber, 308 on down, recoil isn't ever an issue, and the extra weight of the can might make up for the inability to reverse the direction of the gas (fluid momentum).

This brings up the point, that on normal caliber us poor folk can afford to shoot, a silencer is pretty much as effective as a brake as far as recoil reducing goes, but on larger calibers, efficient brakes still win.
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
hatidua

Post by hatidua »

I have the Shadow-Ti (.30) and have been happy with it, and the rapid response I get when I contact SRT with any questions.
Rusty_Shackleford

Post by Rusty_Shackleford »

Bowen1911 wrote:
Rusty_Shackleford wrote:The recoil reduction is unmatched by any brake I have ever tried

I must disagree, as the brake on the AR-50 works better than a Cyclone from the 2 shots of 50 bmg i have taken- one with brake, one with can

on any "small" caliber, 308 on down, recoil isn't ever an issue, and the extra weight of the can might make up for the inability to reverse the direction of the gas (fluid momentum).

This brings up the point, that on normal caliber us poor folk can afford to shoot, a silencer is pretty much as effective as a brake as far as recoil reducing goes, but on larger calibers, efficient brakes still win.
All I can tell you is that's not my experience. The sole purpose of a can is to slow the escaping gases as much as possible and cool them to prevent their rapid expansion to produce sound. Perhaps my Lapua isn't big enough :mrgreen: (and yes, I intend to use this to justify rectifying that situation to my wife someday) but it's also not the point of my post. My point is that if your host is not a .22, it makes no sense to get a .22 can as your first can. If you have a Lapua, a BMG, or a "lowly" .223 that you shoot..... get a can for what you have as your first can. Granted, they are NOT Hollywood quiet, and one should not expect such. However, if you do expect that, and get a .22 can as your first can - and that can reinforces your expectation, you are setting yourself up for one hell of a disappointment when you suppress a larger rifle. That's all I'm saying - get a can for the host you have, not the other way around.