2 questions, YHM acme thread and Cast bullets

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

akajun

2 questions, YHM acme thread and Cast bullets

Post by akajun »

Does anyone know the acme thread sizes and pitch of the the threads on the YHM line of suppressor mounts? not th threads inside the mount that screw on the barrell, but the larger external acme threads that the suppressor screws to. I am specifically looking for the .308 mount and the .223 as well

Also, what, if any are the effects of shooting cast bullets in a suppressor. Specifically large slow calibers such as .44 mag, 45-70. 38-55, 45 colt? I know lube buildup may be a problem, as may leading, but a lot of that can be controlled by using a good alloy and hard lubes, polymer coatings, moly. I imagine that it would be similar to a .22 can in that it would need to be disassembled for cleaning.

The reason I ask on the second question is that in LA, they now allow night hunting for hogs with suppressors. Earlier this year I shot 6 hogs with 4 shots with my 45-70 handi rifle with 300gr lead slugs which went through one hog into the other, killing both. I have another load with a 400gr bullet and a load for my 38-55 handi rifle that is barely supersonic which I think would be similarly devastating and matching that up with a suppressor, I could really put a dent in the hog population that destroys my property.
akajun

Re: 2 questions, YHM acme thread and Cast bullets

Post by akajun »

Anyone?
maddyn

Post by maddyn »

Can't say without a doubt what the thread count is, but from looking at the picture, it's about 4-6 TPI
akajun

Post by akajun »

YEah I was guessing in that range as well, just hoping someone here had one and could put a mic on it and give me a diameter and thread count.

Also hoping someone had some experince with cast bullets in a suppresor.
JohnnyO
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyO »

ACME 8 TPI
Major dia.= 1.030
Minor dia.= .940
akajun

Post by akajun »

Thanks Johnny, is that the 7.62 or the 223, or are they the same?
JohnnyO
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyO »

There all the same.