Anyone firsthand experience with Aviator?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Bargsbeer
Silent But Deadly

Anyone firsthand experience with Aviator?

Post by Bargsbeer »

I'm looking to get to a .22 Ca, Already have a EVO 9 (don't shoot much anymore due to the availability of Subs)
From what I'm reading the Aviator is the quietest but also quite long at 6" I don't mind spending the money.
Just looking for first hand experience...opinions...etc.. My host weapon is leaning towards a P22 or Ruger

Thanks
I used the evil Quicken Will maker..... And my form 4 was approved
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone firsthand experience with Aviator?

Post by Chondro »

Well everyone knows I'm gonna jump in..Check the video at then end of the list of cans..

Kodiak if you want to shoot 5.7 or Hornet down the road as well..TL if you just want the quietest and the best..Essence is for when you become an addict..

http://libertycans.net/rimfire_portal.html
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

Lawless had one ask him.... :P
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
FA Gunner
Silent Operator

Post by FA Gunner »

I can't really compare my Aviator to anything else since it is the only 22 can I have. But on my Buckmark with a 4" barrel it is a pleasure to shoot. The first time I shot it, I was wearing some electronic muffs and was like this thing is loud, until I took the muffs off and realized that the muffs were really amplifying the sound of the gun. I was shooting at some metal spinners and the sound of the impacts were much louder than the sound from the gun. Only thing is that it is not a take apart can if that matters to you. I'm going to try the Outer's foul-out on it to see how that does with it, since the foul-out 3 is supposed to be safe on AL. I got a great deal on my Aviator and I am really happy with it and my buckmark.
black-sheep
Silent But Deadly

Post by black-sheep »

It was my first 22 can. I like it alot.Next was the prodigty witch is shorter,lighter and take apart yet it dose not sound as good as my avaitor. I can't wait to get my new essence.
ImageImageImage
M16MANIAC
Silent But Deadly

Post by M16MANIAC »

I have a pilot, element and a aviator.
The aviator gets the most use.

As far as sound reduction it will be hard to beat the aviator and with the right adapter the can is quick attach.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

black-sheep wrote:It was my first 22 can. I like it alot.Next was the prodigty witch is shorter,lighter and take apart yet it dose not sound as good as my avaitor. I can't wait to get my new essence.
ImageImageImage
Dude sweet Rugers..Essence? Did I just find my clone? :lol:

What made you decide on that one?

black-sheep
Silent But Deadly

Post by black-sheep »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59961&hilit=essence+liberty
And then someone on here just will not stop going on and on and on and on...
Now just to find a good deal on another 22/45 mabe with 1911 grip pannels
and yes the tacsol 10/22s are factory sbr's some more friends!

ImageImage
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

i've heard it on a ruger 10/22 indoors, w/o hearing protection, and i was fine. the subsequent shots were quieter.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

black-sheep wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59961&hilit=essence+liberty
And then someone on here just will not stop going on and on and on and on...
Now just to find a good deal on another 22/45 mabe with 1911 grip pannels
and yes the tacsol 10/22s are factory sbr's some more friends!

ImageImage
I think I might know the irritating basterd your talking about.. :roll:

Dude that 10/22 pistol there is a brilliant idea!! Never saw one like that..You just do that yourself?

I guess if you just buy a charger its already a pistol and you can do as you like..

I'm never going to get to a bolt gun at this rate.. :cry: This forum is a giant money pit of ideas.. :evil:

JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

OP- couple things- 147gr 9mm should be easy to find nowadays...

and Second, the Aviator is a nice can- very very quiet.

BUT, a couple things- it is sealed, limiting the amount of maintenance you can do which may end up a concern over time with .22LR. It's been discontinued for over a year now, if you can get a smokin' deal on it it it'd be worth it.

In short, if you shoot a ton, you might be better served by a serviceable .22 can that you can clean out easily.
Also, at this time of year, you might want to wait until the SHOT show in january to see what comes out.

YMMV
Kick Ass Design
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

One thing that would help our FanBoy dealers myself included is if the stuff is end of life no longer available then get it off the website and out of the catalog, it was around August before I could get a 2010 catalog, the Aviator is in the catalog and on your website.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
Rusty_Shackleford

Post by Rusty_Shackleford »

David Hineline wrote:One thing that would help our FanBoy dealers myself included is if the stuff is end of life no longer available then get it off the website and out of the catalog, it was around August before I could get a 2010 catalog, the Aviator is in the catalog and on your website.
I second that! I didn't know they were discontinued, so I bought one from a dealer that, I guess, had one left in stock. I am awaiting the paperwork from ATF as we speak, but had I known these were discontinued, well.......
wreckdiver
Silent But Deadly

Post by wreckdiver »

[quote="J
In short, if you shoot a ton, you might be better served by a serviceable .22 can that you can clean out easily.

YMMV[/quote]

What would be considered a ton? I bought my Pilot before the whole take apart can rage exploded. Obviously, my next .22 can WILL be take apart, but what kind of life expectancy can I realistically hope for. I'm conservative with it now and only put around 1000 rounds per year through it.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

To the Op the Ruger's are real pistols that can be passed down..P-22 are stupid quiet hosts that are a must have but a disposable pistol..Most all of us have to have both but if its only one then its the Ruger IMHO..

One of the things I've noticed playing with all the different hosts and ammo is that a really good smooth barrel leaves less lead in the can..

I think the better question is not so much when the can is filled but when the buildup really takes its toll on sound reduction..That number I'm afraid is pretty low..Unless you have two of the same model to shoot side by side it will be hard to notice. You'll just get used to it..

JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

wreckdiver wrote:What would be considered a ton? I bought my Pilot before the whole take apart can rage exploded. Obviously, my next .22 can WILL be take apart, but what kind of life expectancy can I realistically hope for. I'm conservative with it now and only put around 1000 rounds per year through it.
1000/year is not a heavy shooting schedule for 22. you'll be good to go for many many years.

It's also not like a lightswitch, it will be a very gradual thing over time. The Aviator will be very quiet for a long time- we have demo ones that have thousands and thousands of rounds and are still fine performers.
Kick Ass Design
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

David Hineline wrote:One thing that would help our FanBoy dealers myself included is if the stuff is end of life no longer available then get it off the website and out of the catalog, it was around August before I could get a 2010 catalog, the Aviator is in the catalog and on your website.
Hi David, I understand what you're saying. Te aviator was not in the 2010 catalog, and the Aviator is on the website until parts are gone.

The 2010 catalog was available for download on the site right after SHOT, not sure why it took us so long to get you some. Shoot me an email in January and I'll be sure to get you a couple copies right away.

I'll also do what I can to get a "Full line" list/key posted on here and our blog to show the status of all existing and any new silencer models, including changes/etc. This of course will wait until SHOT as well for the public.

By "discontinued",i mean that we do/did not plan to make any new parts, but there were/are parts in inventory to keep making them as needed for awhile.

David- feel free to shoot me an email if you've got any specific model questions or anything, or if you ever need catalogs, or specific PDFs/etc, let me know, I really will do anything to help our fans. i appreciate it,

Jason
Kick Ass Design
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

if you're building a better or stainless Prodigy, i'm not going to be a happy camper b/c i've been waiting 6 months for mine. but this is how the games being played today. changes are happening faster and faster.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

kaotic504 wrote:if you're building a better or stainless Prodigy, i'm not going to be a happy camper b/c i've been waiting 6 months for mine. but this is how the games being played today. changes are happening faster and faster.

Ha, you're fine with the PRODIGY, your's will be the latest. It is a killer performer.
Kick Ass Design
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

JasonAAC wrote:
kaotic504 wrote:if you're building a better or stainless Prodigy, i'm not going to be a happy camper b/c i've been waiting 6 months for mine. but this is how the games being played today. changes are happening faster and faster.
Ha, you're fine with the PRODIGY, your's will be the latest. It is a killer performer.
And to eliminate any early fears or rumors:

• The 18T mount and devices are/will be still available.
• The MITER mount and devices are/will be still available.
• The 51T mount remains the top-end mount and will continue to be.
Kick Ass Design
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

JasonAAC wrote:

sweet! latest? i didn't think there were any changes. i was taking a look at them back in March.

so it looks like the only thing on my list so far after SHOT is the 762-SDN. oh, and a 300BLK barrel.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

I stand corrected on the catalog, I looked and no Aviator.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.