Best Bolt Gun to Suppress for .308

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Veritas
Silent But Deadly

Best Bolt Gun to Suppress for .308

Post by Veritas »

Well, I was initially going to suppress my M1a, but after extensive "research" on here I have decided against it. It is too loud and there is far too much blow back.

SO, I need to come up with the best Bolt action rifle to use to suppress, I love the .308 round so am looking in that realm.

.338 lapua is a possibility but due to price may not be worth it.

The purpose of this gun is long range target shooting

I have been looking at the Rem 700 with an AICS stock and for suppressor the Sandstorm, unless silencerco comes out with a .308 rifle suppressor, which they may after shot show!

Thoughts?
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best Bolt Gun to Suppress for .308

Post by kaotic504 »

i think any bolt action is going to be good b/c you manually cycle the action yourself. i'd stick w/ the Rem 700, heck get the AAC SD version.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

I think this is what I would do as well, if I were doing it again....it will already be set up and ready to go. If it isn't available and you don't want to wait, the SPS Tactical would be next best choice on the 700 platform, imo. You would need to get the barrel threaded. The Savages with acccu-trigger shoot good too....I'm no expert, but I'm thinking Savage concentrated their efforts more on the barrel than the action, and Remington did the opposite. Either one will give you a good shooter, but I lean towards the 700.
STL/N.E.R.D.S.
Silent But Deadly

Post by STL/N.E.R.D.S. »

I like the Rem 5R's, they are a great shooting weapon and tough to beat in a given price range. The FN's are nice too for a little less coin,come with a mag and have a nice bolt and safety, that being said, I like my Tikka T3, smooth as silk, cost a bit more, but has a threaded barrel, and is mag fed. believe it or not the Rem with 5r milspec barrel shoots as well as the Tikka. I still like the layout of the Tikka the best for ergonomics, you could fix that on either of the other 2 with an AICS sys. but then you have to lay out more $$
They all have their assets, try and lay into one and get some trigger time to see what's the best fit...
Rem 5r prior to threading
FN with 16.5" barrel, work by Noveske
Tikka with AAC Cyclone
Veritas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Veritas »

I am a HUGE FN fan, how do you like your SPR?

It did cross my mind but I dont believe I would be able to fit an AICS stock to it...
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Niftiest setup I've seen is a .338 Norma Mag fitted with a Jet suppressor. Targets at ranges over a kilometer were simply amazing! That is a ballistician that can shoot too!

Mike
STL/N.E.R.D.S.
Silent But Deadly

Post by STL/N.E.R.D.S. »

The FN has a slick action, not as slick as the Tikka, but nice for an off the shelf weapon, accuracy is good with the edge going to the Tikka and Rem 5R. I haven't developed a load for this rifle yet and currently use the Tikka loading , 42gr. IMR 4895 and 168gr BTHP. The mag is decent and a pleasure to have in a bolt gun, especially when used with a can, sub and super use, I don't use too many sub loads, but different pills and speeds definetly. They have a 1 in 12 twist, so I'm staying super with this rig.
A little info on their heritage ,In October, 2007, FN Herstal announced that it would produce Pre-'64 Winchester Model 70 rifles at its facility in Columbia, South Carolina, where it currently manufactures the M240, M249, and M16 for the United States military, as well as its SPR and PBR lines, which are, in fact, variants of the Pre-64 Model 70.
So if you like the controls of a Win. 70 series you will like FN's . The overmolded stock is sticky, real sticky, you won't drop this thing, it's not uncomfortable, with some work ( stock ) it would be a fine addition to your collection.
Last edited by STL/N.E.R.D.S. on Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
pioneer
Silent Operator

Post by pioneer »

I am currently running a Rem 700/5R in a AICS 2.0 chassis. If I had to do it all again, I wouldve gone and spent money on a custom receiver( Surgeon/Lawton/etc) and purpose built barrel like shilen or hart in 5R. Yet still in the AICS 2.0 chassis. Its our nature to modify stuff to suit our own needs. Just looking at what I've put down and tinkering..... save yourself the initial investment.
Bandit
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bandit »

Veritas wrote:I am a HUGE FN fan
+1 here.
The Winchester action is way better than the Remington.
Won't go bang when you touch the bolt handle.

I'm building a rifle this winter. Got my stock just waiting on the heavy barrel that I will use to mount a can on.
Way better trigger and the recoil lug is part of the receiver.
CDNN has the complete receiver group for $349. + S&H.
If you're not part of the solution, you're not only "part" of the problem but, you "are" the problem.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

aac blackout with a cyclone. you may have to re-stock it but as a starting point and relatively cheap on the wallet i dont see why not.
NP
Veritas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Veritas »

delta9mda wrote:aac blackout with a cyclone. you may have to re-stock it but as a starting point and relatively cheap on the wallet i dont see why not.
Isnt the aac Blackout a .223?

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I am gonna have to test out a FN SPB and a Rem 700 and see which I like better. I will look at a Tikka, but just do not know enough about them to drop the cash on them.
Tuukka
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tuukka »

The Tikka rifles provide excellent accuracy for a very reasonable price.

We have a number of Tikka and Sako rifles that we use in product testing quite extensively.

Take Care!

Tuukka Jokinen
Ase Utra sound suppressors
Ase Utra sound suppressors / www.aseutra.fi
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

delta9mda wrote:aac blackout with a cyclone. you may have to re-stock it but as a starting point and relatively cheap on the wallet i dont see why not.
The available rifle is the Remington 700 AAC-SD. It is a really good deal. .308.
Kick Ass Design
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

I choose Reminton 700 action, for several reasons most important is history of mass market avilability of aftermarket part for it. Check out what choices you have for a Tikka for aftermarket parts to change your gun... But I agree with kaotic504 "any bolt action is going to be good b/c you manually cycle the action yourself. i'd stick w/ the Rem 700, heck get the AAC SD version."
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Rate of twist is a HUGE factor!

If you ever plan on shooting any subsonic go with 1:8 if the barrel is going to be 18" I would go 1:8 anyway. I would not go slower than 1:10.

Unfortunately, all my 308's are 1:12 (4) or 1:11

The only one that makes sense to re barrel is my GAP. I might send it back and have a 18" 1:8 as I want to have it converted to mag fed bottom metal as well. It's a shame as I only have less than 150 rounds through it. (Mike Rock 5R)
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
dukebrown

Post by dukebrown »

I saw the talk here about the action and it's strength. Is there anything wrong with suppressing a Savage 110?
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

dukebrown wrote:I saw the talk here about the action and it's strength. Is there anything wrong with suppressing a Savage 110?

No.. It's just fine. Many on the Snipers Hide have built very accurate rifles biased on the Savage Accutrigger Action.

Again... Rate of twist is very important.
Veritas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Veritas »

For rate of twist do you have a rate based on length? or an equation where I could do the math to find what is most suitable?

I would typically go with a longer barrel since they are generally more accurate, I would like to shoot either 165gn or 185gn .308's. I know that barrel length, twist rate, and bullet weight, would all fall into the equation.

Rem 700's come in:
20"
22"
24"
26"

I wonder what would be the best twist ratio for a 26" shooting 185gn.

Again, thanks everyone for the feedback! Very helpful information.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Veritas wrote:For rate of twist do you have a rate based on length? or an equation where I could do the math to find what is most suitable?

I would typically go with a longer barrel since they are generally more accurate, I would like to shoot either 165gn or 185gn .308's. I know that barrel length, twist rate, and bullet weight, would all fall into the equation.

Rem 700's come in:
20"
22"
24"
26"

I wonder what would be the best twist ratio for a 26" shooting 185gn.

Again, thanks everyone for the feedback! Very helpful information.
Not true .. actually a longer barrel can be more of a problem as barrel whip is more pronounced. A shorter barrel is stiffer. Many customs that shoot very small groups have 20 in or shorter barrels.

Twist is RPM to bullet length dependent. Read the Many page Blackout Rifle thread where Robert and I go into all the detail of the twist and barrel length issues. I will try to find it and link it here.

Barrel length gives you velocity and as such spins the bullet faster.

Short barrels are nice for a few reasons. Stiffer, easier to handle, sub sonic bullets tent to have higher velocity spread with a longer barrel. Silencers add length so a shorter barrel is nice with your silencer on. If you plan on shooting sub sonic 308 an 18" 1:8 is the way to go. 1:8 is not over stabilized in a 18" barrel in a 308 if you plan on shooting bullets of over 175 gr.

The "Optimum" twist to barrel length of 24-26" for a 175 gr SMK in a 308 is 1:11

Make it shorter and shoot heavy bullets as a regular diet a 1:10 makes more sense. (many 308's are now going with 1:10) 1:10 is really better than a 1:12 or even 1:11 IMHO .

Cut it to 20" or less and I think a 1:8 is better especially if you are not going to shoot primarily 175 gr bullets or less ... Think back of the differences in a 308 and a 30-06 the 308 was 180 gr and under with barrels of 20" so a 1:12 worked well... the 30-06 was up to 220 and was 1:10 .. 110 and 125's were handloads for the most part.

A 1:10 will work well for most .. a 1:8 would be for 18" with heavy bullets and or for subsonics

ETA Found it: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=52230

Lots of good reading.. I posted some RPM data for different barrel lengths..

The AAC 308 blackout rifle did not come to fruition but AAC DOES have the threaded barrels for the M700 made in 18" 1:8 twist Last page in thread has pur info.
DCloudy777
Silent But Deadly

Post by DCloudy777 »

Remington 600 "Scout" FTW :mrgreen:

DanO