dipping aluminium suppressors ?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

dipping aluminium suppressors ?

Post by usp_tactical_45 »

is their a dip for these suppressors, i have a cruddy aac defender and i let it soak in slip 2000 carbon killer and it didnt seem to do a whole lot.

i though about just soaking the suppressor in MEK or something for a day or two but though i should ask first, what about ultrasonic cleaning with slip 2000 ?
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Re: dipping aluminium suppressors ?

Post by m1garand30064 »

LOL still dealing with that defender ey?

Sorry there is not much you can do with aluminum other than using a pick of some sort to get off the crud.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

m1garand30064 wrote:LOL still dealing with that defender ey?

Sorry there is not much you can do with aluminum other than using a pick of some sort to get off the crud.

i ran a nylon brush threw it then later on ran a steel brush threw.... nothing seems to really get it off, i dont see why i couldnt use MEK or even just soak it for like a week in water surely eventually that stuff would have to soften up and fall off and out
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Carb cleaner and/or gasoline, plus motor oil or olive oil. Scrub vigorously with wire brush. Some light scratching may result, but it will not affect function.
Let me know how it goes.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Post by glocker17 »

The reality is...... No dip seems to do a whole lot to get the crud off of AL, without harming the AL. I would shoot it 1st and see how it sounds, might be fine. Otherwise, you will have to get it apart and blast the baffles to really get it clean.
fastfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by fastfire »

I mix 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and vinegar.
Use a water bottle just big enough to fit the can in, threads up.
Then pour the mix in, let sit over night.
You wont believe all the crud that comes out of it.(it will bubble a lot)
Rinse with water and blow off with compressed air and your done.
If you think it's not clean soak it again.
dj_fatstyles
Silent But Deadly

Post by dj_fatstyles »

fastfire wrote:I mix 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and vinegar.
Use a water bottle just big enough to fit the can in, threads up.
Then pour the mix in, let sit over night.
You wont believe all the crud that comes out of it.(it will bubble a lot)
Rinse with water and blow off with compressed air and your done.
If you think it's not clean soak it again.
this would work but if you use it on alum it can eat away at your can. mix up a small batch and try it on some aluminum foil. see what happens to the foil. good ol' fashion elbow grease and headlight fluid will work wonders.
SWR Spectre
SWR H.E.M.S. 2
Gemtech SOS-45
Silencerco SS Sparrow
Gemtech Outback IID
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

pretty sure i did say this was aluminum the normal dip wont work
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

what about 50/50 of automatic transmission fluid and mineral sprites ?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

usp_tactical_45 wrote:what about 50/50 of automatic transmission fluid and mineral sprites ?
Haven't tried this combination but i will try it tonite.

So you pulled the guts out of the Defender? There are a few things you can try depending on how cruddy they are.

Can you post a picture of the core so we can see?

-B
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

Bendersquint wrote:
usp_tactical_45 wrote:what about 50/50 of automatic transmission fluid and mineral sprites ?

So you pulled the guts out of the Defender? There are a few things you can try depending on how cruddy they are.

-B

the defender to the best of my knowledge is sealed, i did take the back locking end off though and i took the "key out"

iam soaking my defender in that crap as we speak and wow the sludge coming out will make you sick
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Be aware that that sludge has lead in it as well so be sure to not get it on your skin as the lead can be absorbed directly through the skin.

I was going to try it but a chemist friend strongly suggest against it. He said I would be better USING THE DIP than this combo.

-B
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

Bendersquint wrote:Be aware that that sludge has lead in it as well so be sure to not get it on your skin as the lead can be absorbed directly through the skin.

I was going to try it but a chemist friend strongly suggest against it. He said I would be better USING THE DIP than this combo.

-B

according to gemtech this is the best way to clean to aluminum suppressors .... i do wear rubber gloves so... iam pretty impressed with the cleaning action going on

i also mixed this up in a glass vase
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

If the Aluminum is anodized you'd be surprised how regular soap and water will wash out burn and unburned powder residue.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

Hush wrote:If the Aluminum is anodized you'd be surprised how regular soap and water will wash out burn and unburned powder residue.
the baffles arnt anodized...
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

usp_tactical_45 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

-B

the defender to the best of my knowledge is sealed, i did take the back locking end off though and i took the "key out"

iam soaking my defender in that crap as we speak and wow the sludge coming out will make you sick

Are you saying that the 50/50 mix of ATF and Mineral Spirits is dissolving the lead/powder fouling or the 50/50 Vinegar/peroxide?

I don't understand how oil and mineral spirits would do anything to PB. I could see how it might mix with powder fouling that was from lubed lead .22 bullets But not lead ...

Keep us posted..

PICS???
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

I suspect you'll probably never buy a used can again.

You know, Liberty opens and re-cores cans often. I would think if you sent it to him, at the very least he could open the can, fix that other issue you have, then it would be a lot easier for you to clean it. I would NOT use the 50/50 dip. Best case, you could get it re-cored to sound better and be take-apart, etc.

Plus, if you do get it open, you could anodize the baffles while you were at it.
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

este wrote:I suspect you'll probably never buy a used can again.

You know, Liberty opens and re-cores cans often. I would think if you sent it to him, at the very least he could open the can, fix that other issue you have, then it would be a lot easier for you to clean it. I would NOT use the 50/50 dip. Best case, you could get it re-cored to sound better and be take-apart, etc.

Plus, if you do get it open, you could anodize the baffles while you were at it.

they dont do center fire pistol re-cores so thats out... .i tried the solution 50/50 atf and mineral spirits and it seemed to do a good job their was a lot of flaky carbon at the bottom of the jar when i woke up this morning.

the defender has been fixed, the key inside i fixed, i also upgraded the duel locking latch springs, i would love to send pix of the inside but it looks almost like the inside of every other suppressor. the baffles do not come out so what do you want me to do ?

edit: also forgot to mention to every one my experience shooting this suppressor, I shot to unsuppressed rounds then snapped the suppressor on and ( dry ) shot two more its about as loud as an evo 45 dry ( i have one for my usp tac so ) or maybe just a hair louder hard to say... the recoil how ever seamed to be a bit harsher and i was told thats because of the ... i think its called direct blow back or something... their obviously is no gas adjustment on usc's or ump's. you can feel the bolt clank backwards and even kinda hear it moving when your on the gun, 5 feet away from the gun it sounds just about like shooting my usp tac with evo ( dry ) on it. I also tried to shoot the suppressor wet, how ever i dont think i got much if any melted snow ( its all i had ) into the baffles, their is a long "throat" in this suppressor the wet media has to get past the locking device then past the key thats inside to hit into the first baffle so i think most of my snow only made it into the locking area which is no good because the barrel was sitting over it, next time i get a chance to shoot it i will take my pulling gel with me and squirt it down in their and then take a little wooden rode to spread it down into the baffles, i will report back to see if it is quieter and possibly less recoil when i get a chance to try it.

this is my first carbine/rifle suppressor so I am not sure if what i experienced was normal or not, I am not sure if I am impressed with the defender or not i only shot like 15 or 20 rounds out of it, i can say how ever the defender did its job, i didnt get my ears rung and to me for 100 bucks its already paid me back, i also have not shot it and tested the on/off accuracy of it yet either that wont happen till the transfer is done.

I have been so busy tweeking the defender and when i get to the dealers shop i for get all my plans to take pictures, i promise next time i go i will get as many as i can for you guys

i do wish liberty would try and least look at this for a re-core any way what will anodizing do to the baffles ? make it less likely for crud to stick ?
Last edited by usp_tactical_45 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

actually iam vary happy with my used defender and ya if i could get a 308 can used at a good price i would jump on it no problem as long as their are no baffle strikes
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

usp_tactical_45 wrote:

actually iam vary happy with my used defender and ya if i could get a 308 can used at a good price i would jump on it no problem as long as their are no baffle strikes
usp_tactical_45 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
usp_tactical_45 wrote:well i broke it loose no problem
Well, where are the pics so we can make our own Defender?

-B

I decided not to document fixing my defender since no one is really interested in them. I did fix the defender and i put the cap back on with blue loctite for any further cleanings or repairs

I did shoot the defender today and to be honest iam not all that impressed
So now you are very happy with your used Defender?

For $350 for a used DAMAGED can I would need to be thrilled with the performance. Have you looked into recoring it yet?

-B
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

I am happy with it, i am not like aac tirant impressed with it. the damage to the suppressor well i wouldnt even call it damage their was nothing wrong with the baffles or core or locking unit. the key inside the defender was bent. the key comes out so i just took it out cut the key off and put a new one on it was about a 30 min fix... key or no key it didnt effect the defenders performance.

if their is no key then your suppressor will rotate on the hk umps flange the key just keeps it from spinning.

also not sure if your good at reading but i did state that liberty will not recore center fire suppressors no pistols no rifles no recores unless its a 22 lr
jdj
Elite Member

Post by jdj »

usp_tactical_45 wrote: also not sure if your[sic] good at reading but i did state that liberty will not recore center fire suppressors no pistols no rifles no recores unless its a 22 lr
They did a .22 can that is large enough to be a 9mm:

http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2099

Did you ask them if they would re-core it?
"I regard virginity as a correctible perversity of no interest" - Lazarus Long (Time Enough for Love), Robert A. Heinlein
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

jdj wrote:
usp_tactical_45 wrote: also not sure if your[sic] good at reading but i did state that liberty will not recore center fire suppressors no pistols no rifles no recores unless its a 22 lr
They did a .22 can that is large enough to be a 9mm:

http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2099

Did you ask them if they would re-core it?
how else would i know they wont recore my can ?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

usp_tactical_45 wrote:I am happy with it, i am not like aac tirant impressed with it. the damage to the suppressor well i wouldnt even call it damage their was nothing wrong with the baffles or core or locking unit. the key inside the defender was bent. the key comes out so i just took it out cut the key off and put a new one on it was about a 30 min fix... key or no key it didnt effect the defenders performance.

if their is no key then your suppressor will rotate on the hk umps flange the key just keeps it from spinning.

also not sure if your good at reading but i did state that liberty will not recore center fire suppressors no pistols no rifles no recores unless its a 22 lr
Actually I can read well, just didnt recall you saying that Liberty won't recore your can.

There are other options for getting it recored.

-B
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

Bendersquint wrote:
usp_tactical_45 wrote:I am happy with it, i am not like aac tirant impressed with it. the damage to the suppressor well i wouldnt even call it damage their was nothing wrong with the baffles or core or locking unit. the key inside the defender was bent. the key comes out so i just took it out cut the key off and put a new one on it was about a 30 min fix... key or no key it didnt effect the defenders performance.

Actually I can read well, just didnt recall you saying that Liberty won't recore your can.

There are other options for getting it recored.

-B

i was unaware of these other options, i though liberty was the only one in the game for recores