YHM Phantom 'Maintenance and Cleaning'

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

gr8smiles
Silent Operator

YHM Phantom 'Maintenance and Cleaning'

Post by gr8smiles »

Picked up my 1st suppressor last week. Gave it a thorough workout this weekend with probably 300 rounds of .22 rimfire. It is the Phantom in 5.56, but I have several mounts and tried it on several .22 rifles and pistols. The pistols were amazingly quiet and the rifles were pretty quiet too. I tried different combos of ammo and guns and really am excited about these. I have several others waiting on Form 4 approval now and they should be here in a few weeks. My question:

Since I can't take the Phantom apart, what do I need to do regularly or periodically to maintain and clean it. I have sprayed it out with 'gunscrubber' and then sprayed it out with rem oil or the like. Anything else I should be aware of? The others that I have coming I will be able to take apart.

MIne is the stainless Phantom.

Thanks
Last edited by gr8smiles on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyrodder

Re: YHM Phantom 'Maintenance and Cleaning'

Post by flyrodder »

I have a stainless Phantom in 7.62 and around 1000 rounds of 5.56 and .308 rounds through it. I have soaked it with Hoppes No. 9 (plugging the ends with rubber stoppers) overnight once and then drained and blew it out with compressed air. Very little material came out - the solvent was barely discolored.

My Mite can for my 22's can be disassembled, though, and within 100 rounds it is a mess and is difficult to unscrew. Just as with the actions, 22 rimfire ammo is obviously much dirtier than centerfire, and you get a lot of lead spatter in the can (my Class III dealer "welded" his Mite closed by not cleaning it, and when he sent it to YHM it weighed 7 ounces, as compared to the original 3 ounces). My experience with gun scrubber is that it does not remove the lead or even all the powder residue. If I wipe the are with Hoppes after using gun scrubber I still get more residue off.

I would be reluctant to shoot 22 rimfire through a can that you could not disassemble, but would think that soaking the can overnight with a reliable solvent and blowing it out with compressed air would be effective.

Good luck!
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

As I understand things, the gunscrubber should help clean the carbon out, but not lead buildup. The 22 rimfire stuff will give you an internal lead buildup that is a subject of great discussion relative how to remove such buildup from sealed cans. I have shot a few 22 rimfires through my 7.62 YHM, always followed by a bunch of centerfire rounds. I suspect one would have to shoot several thousand rounds of rimfire through any can before degredation of performance is noticed. As a note though, the vaporized lead buildup seems to be a mechanical removal exercise.

For the right amount of money, I suspect YHM will take the can apart and clean out any lead buildup for you...
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
dvanncvann
Silent But Deadly

Post by dvanncvann »

Use "the dip." Just do a search and lots of info will come up.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end......
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

One guy I know runs copper plated 22LR thru his 556 can. He says it helps reduce the lead issue with 22 LR ammo.

Why not just get a 22 LR can?
They weigh a lot less that the sealed centerfire cans. They can be cleaned out too.
NRA Benefactor Member
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

every few hundred rounds of .22lr dump a couple of mag of .223 through it and it will blow/brake out all the .22 crap
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
gr8smiles
Silent Operator

Post by gr8smiles »

Am I doing something wrong, when I search 'dip'....nothing comes up???
dvanncvann
Silent But Deadly

Post by dvanncvann »

gr8smiles wrote:Am I doing something wrong, when I search 'dip'....nothing comes up???
search "peroxide"
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end......