My New Savage MkII FVSR

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

1mobum
Silent But Deadly

Re: My New Savage MkII FVSR

Post by 1mobum »

Mine is the 28702.
Sorry pics suck but wifes camera and can't ask her to take pics of a gun she doesn't know about yet :mrgreen:

Here is my Tac-Sol 10/22 barrel compared to the threads on the Savage

Here is gap I was talking about, this is threaded as far as it will go.

And finally here is side shot to show scope clearance

Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Ok, so you got the one directly from Savage.

Man, that rail gives you a ton of scope clearance...but how is your cheek weld with it up that high? Mine is pretty close to being too high with the lowest mounts possible.

And man, the threads go forever on this barrel :lol: Have you had a chance to take it out shooting some more yet?
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

You need shims or a spacer. You're bottoming out on a baffle or something. .22lr threads aren't always that long, for a 9mm can, you'd probably be fine.
1mobum
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1mobum »

Wahnsinn wrote:Ok, so you got the one directly from Savage.

Man, that rail gives you a ton of scope clearance...but how is your cheek weld with it up that high? Mine is pretty close to being too high with the lowest mounts possible.

And man, the threads go forever on this barrel :lol: Have you had a chance to take it out shooting some more yet?
Had my local gun shop order it and had it two days later.

The rings are Burris Zee Signature 1" med, and scope is Mueller 8.5-25x44AO Mil-Dot. It is actually the scope off my 10/22, on the Ruger the scope barely clears the top of the barrel. I can get flip covers on but prob couldn't slide a dollar through after that. Just used it to show what kind of clearance was possible on the Savage. Cheek weld not really bad might just leave it on there.

No chance to put it on paper yet, hopefully this week sometime at lunch I will run to the range with it and try to get scope where it needs to be. Range is only 25YRD-boo.
1mobum
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1mobum »

kaotic504 wrote:You need shims or a spacer. You're bottoming out on a baffle or something. .22lr threads aren't always that long, for a 9mm can, you'd probably be fine.

I know it scares me to shoot it this way just threw it on there for a picture. In case someone else runs this set-up,
main reason I am not at the range now with it. I put my Tac-Sol thread protector on there and was then about the same length as the Tac-Sol barrel but looks like s--t. Will have to figure out something for sure I am itching to play with this thing and outside is too cold to really appreciate it.
Phil McCrackin

Post by Phil McCrackin »

Just got mine and it is as pictured on the Savage site, can't wait to shoot it. Bought a Boyd's "tacticool" stock in green, am going to put my leupold MRT 3.5-9 on it with Warne med. qd rings. My threading was perfect and is the same as on my threaded Ruger MkII, paclite, 10/22 etc.
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

I have called 5 shops around me and no one says they can get this gun! Where the hell should I get it from?
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Davidson's at least shows it now, just out of stock. So put a stock watch on it.
Phil McCrackin

Post by Phil McCrackin »

People were confused by the one on the Savage site and the one offered by Lipsey's. Lipsey's had Savage make a run of 16.5", black stocked, threaded rifles with those two little mounts, this one (Savage no. 28704):
http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx? ... exclusives
Those sold good and Savage came up with their own FVSR, the one that is on their website, just released around Shotshow time (Savage no. 28702):
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR

Make sure you specify 28702 as I think they are the same price but you get more with the Savage FVSR. Savage took what they made for Lipseys and added a tactical bolt knob($?), full length 20moa EGW rail ($39), and barrel flutes ($?). I paid $273 delivered for mine and it was well worth it, considering the upgrades and cost of threading.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Yup, the Savage version is the way to go. I'm iffy on the rail, it looks high, so maybe some super low rings will make it better.

Aside from that, it's the s--t :D

But yes, definitely make sure you give them the right item number. Or check out Davidsons. They've got both versions, the TRR as well...but also out of stock.
Phil McCrackin

Post by Phil McCrackin »

The problem with a lower rail is you're going to need higher rings so the ocular and objective, particularly the objective, clears the barrel. On this mount medium rings are about perfect for my scopes, but if the rail was the low one I would have to go with high rings. That's a no go as both of the scopes I will be using have qd rings and are set up with eye relief to go on this rifle, or my 10/22 or my M1A with ARMS18 mount.
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

i have the TRSR, it's the longer barreled version w/ the Tacticool stock. i have the short rails, and i use Leupold med/std rings with my Burris 3x9 optic. it's perfect. if i had the EGW rail, i'd probably get low rings as that rail looks to raise it. i don't think i need the 20moa rail, i'm not shooting that far with it. going 100yrds max, maybe one day 200yrs but most likely not any further.
Phil McCrackin

Post by Phil McCrackin »

I can't change rings but I can change rails. EGW makes the regular rail and this one, the 20 MOA high rail. With the Boyd's "Tacticool" stock it's fine with this setup as well, for me at least.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Phil McCrackin wrote:I can't change rings but I can change rails. EGW makes the regular rail and this one, the 20 MOA high rail. With the Boyd's "Tacticool" stock it's fine with this setup as well, for me at least.
Are the threads on your model as long as the OP's? If so that sucks someone needs to tell savage that .4 is where its at.
Phil McCrackin

Post by Phil McCrackin »

yamatitan wrote:
Phil McCrackin wrote:I can't change rings but I can change rails. EGW makes the regular rail and this one, the 20 MOA high rail. With the Boyd's "Tacticool" stock it's fine with this setup as well, for me at least.
Are the threads on your model as long as the OP's? If so that sucks someone needs to tell savage that .4 is where its at.
as posted about four up, my threads are proper length, same as everything else I've got threaded for my AAC Element.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Phil McCrackin wrote:
yamatitan wrote:
as posted about four up, my threads are proper length, same as everything else I've got threaded for my AAC Element.
Dang I read the whole thread and must have missed it. Thanks for the info I have to get me one of these now.
1mobum
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1mobum »

Wahnsinn wrote:Yup, the Savage version is the way to go. I'm iffy on the rail, it looks high, so maybe some super low rings will make it better.

Aside from that, it's the s--t :D

But yes, definitely make sure you give them the right item number. Or check out Davidsons. They've got both versions, the TRR as well...but also out of stock.

I just threw some Burris Low XTR 30mm rings with a Mueller APT 4.5-14x40AO I think it looks better than my other Mueller that came off my Ruger. Will try to get some pics up by tomorrow hopefully. Still not a cheek weld but more of a chin weld but it doesn't bother me.
Also cleaned up my threads on the Spectre, ton o s--t came out but still won't thread all the way. Just received my spacers from silencerstore.com so will hit pics of everything as an example.

Still too damn cold to shoot outside and be effective. I had one day when I got it that was like 50-60 degrees sounded amazing.
1mobum
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1mobum »

Gonna try to get some range time this weekend at the local indoor range. Need to adjust eye relief and sight in have everything kinda loose right now.

clearance of bolt is pretty close but I have no issues maniplulating it

Spectre with spacer
Last edited by 1mobum on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

Do you have a spare spacer you wan to sell? I'd be interested.
1mobum
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1mobum »

kaotic504 wrote:Do you have a spare spacer you wan to sell? I'd be interested.
We can figure something out I paid $15 for 3 and planned on using only 2, but no idea where the hell I put the other 2.
I have it in the safe or night stand.

I did get to the range last night and sighted in the scope. This thing is damn impressive for a $300 rifle. Used one of those 8in shoot and see targets got it where I wanted. Before leaving I put 5 quarter sized targets on the back, 5 shots 5hits.
LonghunterCO
Silent But Deadly

Post by LonghunterCO »

Phil McCrackin wrote:People were confused by the one on the Savage site and the one offered by Lipsey's. Lipsey's had Savage make a run of 16.5", black stocked, threaded rifles with those two little mounts, this one (Savage no. 28704):
http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx? ... exclusives
Those sold good and Savage came up with their own FVSR, the one that is on their website, just released around Shotshow time (Savage no. 28702):
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR

Make sure you specify 28702 as I think they are the same price but you get more with the Savage FVSR. Savage took what they made for Lipseys and added a tactical bolt knob($?), full length 20moa EGW rail ($39), and barrel flutes ($?). I paid $273 delivered for mine and it was well worth it, considering the upgrades and cost of threading.
FYI- LonghunterCO next .22lr Rifle.
Phil McCrackin

Post by Phil McCrackin »

I love mine. Have a Boyd's Tacticool green stock on it, which I am going to do a little devcon plastic steel bedding on (good stuff) just for the hellovit. Am going with a new lower EGW 0 MOA rail. Have a Leupold 3-9 illum reticle MRT on it with Warne QD med. rings (so my scope will interchange on my other rifles w/o messing with rings, just rezero). A couple days ago I put the thwack on a tree rat at about 75 yds. All I heard was the ting of the firing pin and the thwack of that Aguila 38 gr. HP on target. I'm very well pleased with this Savage; you get alot of .22 for the money with it.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Never mind, I take it back....I didn't read far enough.

I'm glad I had them order the '702, I was wanting the large bolt knob.
dae.edorian
Silent But Deadly

Post by dae.edorian »

Savage must've gotten the message regarding the threading on these rifles, because I just picked one up (28702) and it has 0.5" of threading.
LonghunterCO
Silent But Deadly

Post by LonghunterCO »

dae.edorian wrote:Savage must've gotten the message regarding the threading on these rifles, because I just picked one up (28702) and it has 0.5" of threading.
I am not sure what silencer you are running but .40" is the typical thread for .22lr silencer. You will probably need a spacer.