.338 win mag worth making a long range precision rifle?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Jon89

.338 win mag worth making a long range precision rifle?

Post by Jon89 »

I have a Weatherby Vanguard that my dad won in a raffle his last trip to Alaska (it is now mine as he will no longer pick up guns). It has a burris 3x-9x scope no idea what kind of rings are on it. I shoot it pretty accurately out to about 200 yards 1 inch groups give or take a little. these are estimates as i don't have a range finder so i am stuck with a pace count and never bring a ruler to the range with me for groupings. I have recently been thinking about putting together a rifle that will allow me to hit 800 yards. Wondering if anyone on here has a 338 win that they shoot these ranges at and their thoughts on the caliber? I have done a little research and can't find much on a 338 win mag. I know that it will reach 800 yards but can't decide if the cost of ammo out ways the cost of a new rifle all together. Note i don't need something that is going to shoot half inch groups at that range just something i can keep inside 2 or 3 inches. It will probably be a couple months before i decide to do anything I just want to get some options so i can start saving accordingly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jon
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Re: .338 win mag worth making a long range precision rifle?

Post by Wicked »

It's not a top 10 cartridge or rifle for long-range shooting. But, if you already have the rifle and it's a 1moa shooter to 800 (8" @ 800yds) - then don't bother searching for answers to problems that aren't problems.

What & how are you shooting at 800? How much will you shoot? How comfortable are you with the recoil level? Do you reload? You would have to shoot a bunch to make buying another rifle offset the cost of handloaded ammo.

If you decide to keep it, then for starters I might suggest dropping some coin on really good glass, 20 moa base and rings. Then if you later decide to scrap the 338, you will still not be out any money and be that far ahead on something new.

Also, look over on snipershidedotcom. Lots more long range guys there and they will give you better advice.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
Jon89

Post by Jon89 »

I have not shot at 800 yards yet... I was just wondering if it is even worth it. i shoot about a box of ammo every couple of weeks. 10 rounds a week to be exact. The recoil is not an issue for me i really enjoy the round. but at 45 dollars for a box i can't afford to shoot it as much as i would like. I will start reloading here in about a month or so once i get everything i need. I had planned on starting with building up the rifle then getting my glass but i guess that makes more since to buy the base and rings first. I will check over on snipershide thanks for the help.

Jon
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reload ... relodata/5

Look at both the 338WM and 338 Lapua and compare.

300gr SMK with a .768 BC

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm? ... llettype=0

The 338WM will push a 300gr SMK damn near 2500fps out of a 24.5" barrel.

The 338 Lapua will push the same bullet up to 2700fps with a 27.5" barrel.

Obviously the Barrel length is not apples to apples, so this makes the WM even look better considering. It's been called the poor mans lapua for a reason. 10% less power, 30% less powder, and a fraction of the cost to reload. Because of this the WM barrel will last forever in comparison to the Lapua having a reputation for burning barrels in 1000rds or less.

Then plug in the figures into http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jb ... mp-5.1.cgi

At 800yrds the WM is only 22MOA of drop, 1777fps, and 2103ft.lbs on target! With only 1mil in a 10mph wind.
At 1000yrds 30.9 MOA, 1621.5fps, and 1751ft.lbs.
At 1590yrds you reach 60MOA which is at most peoples end of dial on scope even with a 20 MOA rail.
But at 1590 is when the bullet finally reaches 1100fps and may begin to go transonic, still carrying 800ft.lbs and is about 4times more power than a 38special point blank.

So to answer your question yes, the 338WM will destroy elk all day long at 1000-1200yrds.

I personally hand load 250gr TTSX Barnes at 2600fps for elk, and 300gr SMK for long range fun. I really only got my rifle finally dialed at the beginning of last fall, so this summer I'll have a lot more time to see what I can really do at distance.

I put one of the solid alum bedded Knox stocks on my 98 Mauser Kimber and it took ALL of the recoil away. Now it shoots like a 308 even with the heaviest loads. Best investment to tame the beast yet. And a real pleasure to shoot.

Reloading your own is the only way to make the round affordable, and get the full accuracy potential out of the gun.

Let me know if you need more help.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
Jon89

Post by Jon89 »

Thanks for all the help Davo5o I very well might take you up on that offer for help once i get further along in the build. I appreciate all the advice I get from this site you guys are awesome real class.

Jon
RyanB
Silent But Deadly

Post by RyanB »

.338LM has a 3000 round barrel life and easily about 2800 fps or more when loaded to 3.75" or so.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

RyanB wrote:.338LM has a 3000 round barrel life and easily about 2800 fps or more when loaded to 3.75" or so.
Depending on the barrel and how hot you shoot it. High rate of fire will burn them up quick. I've read plenty of people say they've burned them up after 1200-1500rds, so your milage may vary.

Sure you can push the 300smk up to 2800, but that's over max pressure. You can also load a 338WM wayyyy over spec if you want to as well. Give it a 27.5" barrel, and then we can really start to compare the caliber apples to apples.

Fact is, everyone thinks the Lapua is some super special hot s--t round, which in reality is very inefficient.

To each there own.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
RyanB
Silent But Deadly

Post by RyanB »

The major problem with the .338 is that SAAMI ammunition is loaded to 3.6 and with 300gr bullets it should be closer to 4 inches. And of course it is inefficient, adding powder gets you a one percent increase in velocity for every four percent increase in powder. IIRC.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

RyanB wrote:The major problem with the .338 is that SAAMI ammunition is loaded to 3.6 and with 300gr bullets it should be closer to 4 inches. And of course it is inefficient, adding powder gets you a one percent increase in velocity for every four percent increase in powder. IIRC.
338 Lapua Magnum should be loaded to 3.883 with the Sierra 300 MK if you want full neck support. 3.900 is what I would load to - a little velocity boost and a bit of donut avoidance.
oneeyedmac

Post by oneeyedmac »

The 338WM is a good round and can be made to be very accurate and it will certainly take care of business at 800 yards. You have to hand load to save some money and wring the most accuracy you can out of your rifle and it doesn't cost too much to get set up. If you want a round that will out perform the 338WM but don't like the 338LM have a look at the 338 Edge.
Deus Beatus