Dang hollywood makes it hard to impress friends.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Dang hollywood makes it hard to impress friends.

Post by gixxerbill »

Shot my ar with my new phantom on it and my friend thought it wasn't that great. I told him it wasn't subsonic ammo and it was ALOT more quiet than shooting the ar without the can. He said it should sound like hollywood. I don't think any can could sound like hollywood with an ar shooting regular ammo is there?

And if you do use subsonic .223 ammo it won't cycle right?
ick
Silent But Deadly

Re: Dang hollywood makes it hard to impress friends.

Post by ick »

sounds about right. I have a GSG5 that fires 22lr that is pretty quiet, but that certainly isn't 5.56.
-----
Ick
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

ick wrote:sounds about right. I have a GSG5 that fires 22lr that is pretty quiet, but that certainly isn't 5.56.
which can do you have on it?
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Gemtech GSG5, which is a 5.56 can. That provides A LOT of volume to muffle gasses.
-----
Ick
Nighthawk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nighthawk »

I have the same 556 Phantom suppressor and it's a good can. No 556 can will sound Hollywood quiet, that's just the nature of the beast when shooting supersonic ammo.

If you want Hollywood quiet you'll want a 22 suppressor shooting subs from a bolt action rifle. I have a Spectre I shoot on a Marlin 22 bolt action and it's scary quiet when shooting subs.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

that's to be expected.

when you shoot something like a bolt-action .22 silenced, it's quieter than "Hollywood quiet."

shooting my CZ 452 with my kodiak TL is probably up there with my all-time-greatest-fun shooting experiences. it reminds me of the first time I shot a BB-gun. so much fun to be had..... it's almost a fun overload.
https://pewscience.com
PEW Science
Professionally Engineered Weaponeering
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

Yep, .223 and .308 cans arent impressive in the least given their price and the nature of their supersonic platform. Many first time buyers of .223 cans are very disappointed when they get their stamp and try out their spendy investment and wish they demo before buying :cry: . Only a good .22 rimfire can and a few 9mm & possibly Osprey & Tirant 45 are gonna approach the Hollywood fantasy. BTW, how can Hollywood legally have silencers for movie making in the state of California when they are illegal :? ? Or are they fake cans with no baffles? Another example of gubbermint-big business cronyism?
Veritas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Veritas »

The Osprey 45 is hearing safe, but nothing is near hollywood "psheww"

Lets put it this way, I love shooting it without hearing protection, but anybody within 30 feet of me absolutely know that was a gun shot...unless they are deaf...
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

vertias, indeed on a semi pistol platform. Try your Osprey on a rifle platform like a Ruger 77/44 :mrgreen: Its quieter than any pelletgun I've owned
brazos609
Silent But Deadly

Post by brazos609 »

How about this. I had a guy who wanted to buy a suppressor so I went over to his place to demo an original AAC Ranger I had on a 11.5" barrel, it was the first mounted suppressor I grabbed out of the safe. When I got there he was out back shooting a 20" AR15 with no hearing protection on. I just stood back with my fingers in my ears. I mentioned hearing protection but he said it wasn't that loud, maybe something to the effect of "it's not a 7Mag or anything." I handed him the 11.5" with the Ranger and he fired it and then said "Well that didn't make any difference at all." I tried to explain the difference in the blast of an 11.5" vs the 20" but it was lost on him so I just took the Ranger off the 11.5" and decided to let he hear the difference the Ranger had made. I told him he needed hearing protection but he waved it off. After firing one round out the 11.5" he decided the Ranger made a difference. H has now bought five rifle suppressors.
GoingQuiet
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoingQuiet »

Take off the can, take his earplugs, do a mag dump and then ask him how he thinks how well they perform.
GoingQuiet.com
07 FFL / 02 SOT
Melbourne, FL
NFA Sales & Transfers, Silencerco Stocking Distributor, AAC, SigSauer, Gemtech, Rock River Arms Stocking Dealer
[email protected]
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

spoken like a salesman :mrgreen: If you really want true quiet the easiest way is a quality 22 rimfire can like the Sparrow, Spectre or Element on a bolt rifle or single shot with subsonic ammo, period.
Dan
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dan »

It isn't safe but if you fire a round into the dirt with a distance of 3 feet or so everyone will be shocked at how quiet it is.

The projectiles will still be going way supersonic but will be unable to make a sonic crack.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Dan wrote:It isn't safe but if you fire a round into the dirt with a distance of 3 feet or so everyone will be shocked at how quiet it is.

The projectiles will still be going way supersonic but will be unable to make a sonic crack.
Just fire at the earth in front of you ;)
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

GoingQuiet wrote:Take off the can, take his earplugs, do a mag dump and then ask him how he thinks how well they perform.
lol that is what I should have done. :lol:
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Tell him YOU cant change physics, but Hollywood can. :wink:

.22lr, 9mm are more impressing to those not in "the know"
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
Bargsbeer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bargsbeer »

I live in a residential neighborhood. I had a friend once, when I got my EVO-9 a few years ago. I took him out in the back yard and popped 10 rounds or so off with the silencer. He wasn't that impressed. Jokingly I dared him to remove the can and fire one single shot into the ground and then wait see how long it takes the cops to show up....... There is a significant difference.
I used the evil Quicken Will maker..... And my form 4 was approved
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

Bargsbeer wrote:I live in a residential neighborhood. I had a friend once, when I got my EVO-9 a few years ago. I took him out in the back yard and popped 10 rounds or so off with the silencer. He wasn't that impressed. Jokingly I dared him to remove the can and fire one single shot into the ground and then wait see how long it takes the cops to show up....... There is a significant difference.
what is a evo 9?

i don't know why people freak out about shooting suppressed guns in a backyard as long as you shoot into the ground.
Bargsbeer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bargsbeer »

gixxerbill wrote:
Bargsbeer wrote:I live in a residential neighborhood. I had a friend once, when I got my EVO-9 a few years ago. I took him out in the back yard and popped 10 rounds or so off with the silencer. He wasn't that impressed. Jokingly I dared him to remove the can and fire one single shot into the ground and then wait see how long it takes the cops to show up....... There is a significant difference.
what is a evo 9?

i don't know why people freak out about shooting suppressed guns in a backyard as long as you shoot into the ground.

EVO-9 is one of AAC long running cans. I rarely shoot in the backyard.
I used the evil Quicken Will maker..... And my form 4 was approved
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

if you shoot straight up into the air in an open field, there is nothing for the sonic boom to echo off of, and therefore you can hear the actual suppression of your silencer.

but- I don't endorse that behavior, even though its been proven that a gun fired straight up in the air with a <300 ish grain bullet has virtually no chance of being lethal.

if you don't do it, that would still probably be best, unless you can arc it into the ocean
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

The terminal velocity of virtually everything that size... from a 22 caliber to a 308... is approximately 100 miles per hour.

I would not want to be struck by any object traveling at 100 mph.

If you purposely fire your rifle in the air for no valid reason you are being an irresponsible gun owner.
-----
Ick
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

300 AAC BLACKOUT (AKA 300 Whisper®) suppressed is way more impresive than Hollywood... 8)
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

ick wrote:The terminal velocity of virtually everything that size... from a 22 caliber to a 308... is approximately 100 miles per hour.

I would not want to be struck by any object traveling at 100 mph.

If you purposely fire your rifle in the air for no valid reason you are being an irresponsible gun owner.
ok you and bowen have got me wondering who is right. mythbusters or should we just go out to a field and shoot a auto ar in the air and everybody just wait around to get hit by the bullets coming down. kind of like the arrow challenge in the movie "GrownUps"
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Bowen1911 wrote:if you shoot straight up into the air in an open field, there is nothing for the sonic boom to echo off of, and therefore you can hear the actual suppression of your silencer.

but- I don't endorse that behavior, even though its been proven that a gun fired straight up in the air with a <300 ish grain bullet has virtually no chance of being lethal.

if you don't do it, that would still probably be best, unless you can arc it into the ocean
The effect is exactly the same as that of firing straight down into the ground.

Also, firing straight up in an empty field on a windless day, the bullets will NOT fall straight back down. Some fall nearby at some distance, some farther off, but none fall straight back down. At least out of 50 or so shots, all fired straight straight up.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I think mythbusters used a 9mm handgun round and concluded that a 9mm round would fall at 100 mph. Whilst that round might not enter your skull it would leave a heck of a whack on your head. I think that was assuming you got hit broadside.

If you happend to be laying down and it hit someone in the eye... too bad for them I guess. The probability might be small, but why run the risk?

Furthermore they concluded that firing a rifle at an angle would allow the bullet to travel a further distance and possibly still maintain the proper spin to apply the full 100 mph pressure at the tip, causing more damage than simply a falling bullet spinning wildly.

Any way you slice it, sure doesn't seem like a wise idea.
-----
Ick