What silencer company is the most responsive to customers?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Re: What silencer company is the most responsive to customer

Post by stevejobs »

What did Silencerco do for psp7 to make him shoot his wad? Just wondering what service was provided that the others lack. I called AAC once, talked to Mers, no problem. How often do you have to call a manufacturer anyway? If it's a good product, very little.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Ok. I'll bite. Great service is great service. But how about if the product works flawlessly the first time...and for a long time...and never NEEDS service? Doesn't that count for something? Having a product that simply works is even better than having to avail yourself of customer service. Exhibit A: AAC Cyclone: works great, always. Never had to use customer service: Exhibit B: Another suppressor, purchased from a new company. Had some "teething" issues. Sent back to manufacturer who cheerfully fixed problem at their expense.
Both good companies...but would rather have never had the problem in the first place requiring service.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
trey_phish83
Silent But Deadly

Post by trey_phish83 »

JasonAAC wrote:
trey_phish83 wrote:the only thing i'd ever consider is asking aac how to get my evo-9 booster out, i can't physically do it with my two hands. but i don't care that much, it still does the job, i just can clean it.
1. Unscrew the back cap.
2. soak the can overnight, bottom down in 3-4 inches of KROIL or CLP
3. next day, wiggle the end of the piston around to loosen it up and pul it out.
4. iv have great luck taking the barrel out of my gun, threading that into the piston after the soak and using the barrel to pull the piston out.
5. then get in there with some scotchbrite and solvent and clean the inside of the booster housing out.
haha thanks for the quick response,

i can't get the back cap off. i'm a bit of a pussy. i put the tool provided in a vice and held down the suppressor with my hands and tried to romove it that way, but no luck, and i don't want to damage it either.

*thats pretty good customer service
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

psp7 wrote:david, I hear what you say, but to me centerfire rifle cans are worthless. I only care about subsonic rimfire and centerfire pistol cans that are ACTUALLY QUIET :mrgreen: Leave .223 and .308 cans to the military :)
I would not say worthless.

Of the 3 ... Prodigy, 45 Osprey, Evo-9, and a Cyclone-K, the Cyclone has the most round count. (223, 308 & 260 Rem), followed by the Prodigy

I find the AAC Cyclone is as far from "useless" as you can get. It is versatile and plays a role in 30 subsonic at movie quiet, and then on my 308 and 260 with full power to reduce the muzzle blast and recoil, and finally on my AR-15 and M16A1 platforms. It will make Wolf ammo run full auto flawlessly due to to the increased gassing, (even the bolt hold open after the last shot works!)

My Cyclone is the single MOST useful silencer I own.. Well maybe until the Mystic and SS Sparrow arrive..

Dave.... Re.. Evo-9... Have you soaked the base of the can in Kroil yet? I have some you can use if you don't have any... I bet if we put the base in 1" of it in a glass in 2 days it will come out OK. PB blaster is supposed to be good too. They have it down the road at Tractor supply if you want some.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
trey_phish83
Silent But Deadly

Post by trey_phish83 »

come springtime we will experiment john. i don't wanna be fuming up the house without having the ability to open up the windows.
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

trey_phish83 wrote:
JasonAAC wrote:
trey_phish83 wrote:the only thing i'd ever consider is asking aac how to get my evo-9 booster out, i can't physically do it with my two hands. but i don't care that much, it still does the job, i just can clean it.
1. Unscrew the back cap.
2. soak the can overnight, bottom down in 3-4 inches of KROIL or CLP
3. next day, wiggle the end of the piston around to loosen it up and pul it out.
4. iv have great luck taking the barrel out of my gun, threading that into the piston after the soak and using the barrel to pull the piston out.
5. then get in there with some scotchbrite and solvent and clean the inside of the booster housing out.
haha thanks for the quick response,

i can't get the back cap off. i'm a bit of a pussy. i put the tool provided in a vice and held down the suppressor with my hands and tried to romove it that way, but no luck, and i don't want to damage it either.

*thats pretty good customer service
PM sent trey
Kick Ass Design
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

trey_phish83 wrote:idk about the other folks here, but i've never had to call the manufacturer.
Same here.

As noted by Jason from AAC, you don't hear from the satisfied customers too much.

I currently own two silencers. A SilencerCo Sparrow and a SWR Trident. To both of those companies I'd like to say thanks for providing me with quality products that haven't warranted a single call for customer support.

All that being said, WTF is it with all the whiny ass douchbags in the silencer world? I've been a member on numerous forums and never have I encountered so many vindictive bitches that will whine all day long about the tiniest little imperfection in a company or it's product. :roll:
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
Jonas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jonas »

stevejobs wrote:What did Silencerco do for psp7 to make him shoot his wad? Just wondering what service was provided that the others lack. I called AAC once, talked to Mers, no problem. How often do you have to call a manufacturer anyway? If it's a good product, very little.
I've emailed a few tech questions to AAC over the years, and always received a prompt answer. I've never had to send anything back because my cans work perfectly!
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

I sent a email to Mike Mers at around 9 at night when my element didnt include a disassembly tool. He had emailed me back to confirm I need the disassembly tool and not the pusher tool that is not included. I confirmed that and he had one sent out 2nd day air to me within a hour and even included some free goodies. I cant complain about service like that.
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

I've never had a problem with my SWR cans so I can't say how their CS is.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

I have a couple of comments...

First of all, I like several companies that are named in this thread.

Secondly, I want to improve CS, and everything else at AAC. I will never be satisfied with our company. To me, we could never do enough for our customers.

Lastly, we make more silencers than every other company combined in this thread. Although many companies listed make great products, let's continue this discussion when they are selling more than a few hundred silencers per year or offer more than 2 products. You know...after the honeymoon.
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
Jonas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jonas »

SilencerCo fanatics are weird. It's one thing to prefer a brand but to outright trash another maker because they've been around longer or have more sales is absurd. Damn near every suppressor thread on AR15.com turns into SilencerCo VS AAC.
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gary_SilencerCo »

We love NFA guys period. Every customer for one of us, is a potential customer for all of us. I like that.
Every thread does seem to turn into AAC vs Silencerco, or some other manufacturer. Ford vs. Chevy, greenbay vs whoever (sorry , i am sooo not a sports guy). We are all growng and Silencerco has our share of growing pains, but we appreciate product from all manufacturers.

There is an M4-2000 on my desk right now and I love it. There is a Raider in my safe at home and I love it, cause it was my first can. I dearly love the Spectre on my .17hmr, there is a .30 phantom on a .308 bolt gun at home that is stupid quiet with subs and I love it. I really love the Osprey on 300 AAC blackout with Subs right now and hope AAC knocks it out of the park, and that remington cant make ammo fast enough. I can go on and on.

Everybody makes cool s--t and I love options.
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
pierre1631
Elite Member

Post by pierre1631 »

Jonas wrote:SilencerCo fanatics are weird. It's one thing to prefer a brand

Never seen a Chondro post........ :D
Silent Industries
FFL/SOT
Madison, AL
256-783-5309
"Not the biggest- Just the best!"
Proud AAC SWR Silencerco Stocking Dealer
In einer Welt der Kompromisse Einige Männer Dont.
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

I probably shouldn't but I'll bite, as I still have open wounds from this fiasco: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=58637

My very first can was a 762SD, and I found out 2 months into waiting for my form 4 that they were indeed coming out with 51T mounts. My discontent really did not set in until after I received the silencer. On my POF 415 18 inch gun the silencer backs off really bad. I have had AAC change the springs TWICE and changed the mount to no avail. Seeing as how poorly this whole situation was handled I really am just shocked that they would not offer some sort of trade in or discount for those of us with an 18T silencer wanting a ratchet mount can. If upgrade is impossible this just seems like the logical thing to do.

Now contrast that with the other can that I bought after the 762sd, the 22 sparrow. About 3 months after I received the silencer I find out that they are coming out with a new model, and in contrast with AAC they are offering an upgrade program. I'm happy to pay the fee to upgrade the silencer. Some can debate the price they are charging, but to me it speaks volumes that they are even giving us that option. I also should add that even evil gemtech is offering the same service for their outback customers. https://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/OUTBA ... -6p456.htm

I have yet to see any similar program being offered from AAC. I am about to get a pistol can, and it is looking like they are not even willing to let current TiRant owners pay to switch out an end cap to make their "old" ones user serviceable. So as an objective customer, which one should I chose? The can from the company that seems to think it is OK to pull a bait and switch on customers and does not seem to take into account how involved and expensive it is for us to buy these products? Or should I buy from companies who's policies sympathize with what we civilian customers have to go through?

I'm 28 years old and I am very addicted to this hobby and I am pretty successful in my job. I will be buying a lot of cans in my lifetime, and my friends who are also big gun enthusiasts will be following my lead. My next pistol can will be the SilencerCo Osprey and I am looking now at centerfire cans that will stay on my freaking gun. I'm looking at Ops Inc and I will be very interested to see what Silencerco has coming out.

I'd also just like to say that Mike Mers and John have treated me very well and this is certainly not directed at them personally. I do believe they were kept in the dark and I have nothing but respect for them. Mers has helped me out and is an excellent customer service representative, but I feel like his hands are tied by his company's polices. I believe if he had full authority to do as he pleased those of us who felt slighted would have been made right, and I would not have to go on these rants on interweb message boards and to friends asking me for advice on which silencer to buy.

Maybe I am alone in my thoughts, and I take no pleasure in doing this but it is what it is.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

m1garand30064 wrote: So as an objective customer, which one should I chose? The can from the company that seems to think it is OK to pull a bait and switch on customers and does not seem to take into account how involved and expensive it is for us to buy these products? Or should I buy from companies who's policies sympathize with what we civilian customers have to go through?
I can appreciate your frustration/irritation with your 762 backing off, although I don't really have an issue with mine (probably don't put as many rounds downrange as you do in a sitting). That said, I can hardly see how you can call it a "bait and switch" in regards to the old versus new 762 mounts....if they had sold you a 51T version, and then logged it and sent it to you as a 18T, THAT would be a bait and switch. But you purchased a 18T version.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

SWR has time and time again proven itself as very fast to respond to any of my questions and always gone above and beyond in the way of customer service. They are the bar against I measure all others. AAC is, obviously, extremely active on these boards so they also should get a nod for customer responsiveness. I've been impressed with my contact so far with SilencerCo, but don't have one of their products in-hand yet.

Those would be the 'big three' I can think of.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

while everyone's bringing up manufacturers with good customer service, i think i'll mention Liberty as well. I do not own a Liberty can, i merely wanted to inquire about getting one and Dave called me up, was extremely kind and personable, and answered all my questions clearly. That's great service to me. I'll always consider Liberty when choosing cans. I really wish they'd run a special on the Kodiac TL or Essence as it's a bit out of my budget for a .22lr can.

for AAC, Mike and John have been great for me as well. I don't like how long it takes AAC to build a can, but they have no control over that and are always happy to assist in answering my questions.

I have yet to deal with SWR but would love to in the future.

Still waiting on my SilencerCo cans.
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

rockman96 wrote:
m1garand30064 wrote: So as an objective customer, which one should I chose? The can from the company that seems to think it is OK to pull a bait and switch on customers and does not seem to take into account how involved and expensive it is for us to buy these products? Or should I buy from companies who's policies sympathize with what we civilian customers have to go through?
I can appreciate your frustration/irritation with your 762 backing off, although I don't really have an issue with mine (probably don't put as many rounds downrange as you do in a sitting). That said, I can hardly see how you can call it a "bait and switch" in regards to the old versus new 762 mounts....if they had sold you a 51T version, and then logged it and sent it to you as a 18T, THAT would be a bait and switch. But you purchased a 18T version.

You are arguing semantics with me. Let me give you an outline of the events and maybe you can correctly label it for me.

1. I decide I want to buy a silencer (December 2009)
2. I research and decide that I want the 762SD because of multi caliber use, sound suppression, and weight.
3. Then I read a bunch of reports from people complaining about the 18T mount backing off on gas operated guns and it has me worried.
4. Shortly thereafter there are rumblings that the 762SD would be switching to a 51T mount which is universally regarded as an excellent rock solid mount
5. I ask my dealer if this was true. He in turn asks AAC. He is told that the 762SD would stay in the 18T configuration for years to come, and thus advises me to not wait.
6. I read on silencertalk several people asking the same question, and representatives from AAC posts confirm what my dealer has learned and told me.
7. I buy the silencer believing that I would have to wait YEARS to get the better mount (February 2010)
8. Two months into the form 4 wait 51T 762SDs ship. (May 2010)
9. I get my silencer, and the problems begin. I have shipped it back twice and the problem still is present.

So, to summarize, when I bought the silencer I firmly believed I would have to wait years before I could get a 762SD in the better mount. The president of AAC posts on here, so I assumed the information gathered by my dealer and what I read on here would be accurate. It was not.

It is not like I owned this silencer for two years and am getting mad about them upgrading their product line. It is the way they went about it. Hell, I'd be willing to pay $300 or $400 for the opportunity to exchange my silencer for the 51t 762SD.

Again, to be clear, the people I have interacted with at AAC have been great (Mers and John). I think the products at AAC are great. However, this has certainly left me with a really bad taste in my mouth. I'd like nothing more than for AAC to make it right and if they did I would have no problem buying a slew of other cans from them. But quite honestly their cans are not that much better than the competitors for me to justify overlooking this experience.

Maybe it is just me. Take it for what it is worth.
Last edited by m1garand30064 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
JohnDS
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnDS »

The excusal above (kaotic504) to me is frustrating to NO end. I have SEVERAL friends with (or had before selling) 18T M4-1000 and 762SD suppressors. They ALL have had the some problem (backing off a tooth while firing semi auto), several sold their suppressors or don't use them anymore unless it's bench rest shooting on a bolt action. The most notable example I've seen of this problem is as follows:

M4-1000 backing off (18t). Sent it & the barrel in to be checked by Tornado Tech & AAC. Both companies said "all is well, shoot away." Several hundred rounds later - baffle(s) and end cap strike. He was even checking the tightness every 10-20 rounds. Then a mag dump (30 rounds) without checking for tightness - end cap strike. I've heard rumors of the 51t mounts doing it also. Or just backing off 1/2 to 1 tooth causing unacceptable POI shift.

This is not a little known issue.

I completely agree that it was a bait and switch.

"Are you going to manufacture 762SD suppressors with 51t mounts?" - Customer
(Hmm stock levels are still kind of high on the 18t mounts, probably can't move them for as much if we go public with the 51t change)
"Nope, 762SD will not be going to the 51t mount for years" - Manufacturer.

Now this is an obvious assumption as to the actual events - but from a business perspective it makes complete sense. Almost every industry does the same thing. No one wants to go through the hassle of moving "new old stock." Some companies don't publicly release the new product until they move enough off the shelf. Others just blow the stock out at a reduced rate.

To blatantly disregard this mans situation because "it's your own fault for buying an 18t" says two things to me. First that the flaw in the 18t is being accepted. Second - that it was ok to lie to him blatantly to make a buck. These are the kinds of customer service examples that steer me away from companies.

Edit:
I have suppressors from the following companies:

YHM
AAC
Gemtech
SilencerCo
Degroat
Liberty
CCF
SWR
Coharie Arms
Thompson Machine

Of all of those companies there are 2 I wouldn't buy another suppressor from: AAC & CCF

Which makes me really sad because the 300 black out is an EXCELLENT round & the suppressor they've released for it looks GREAT. Damned principles. Do note - the 18t is just one of several reasons.
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

I am glad to know it is not just me.

Let me clarify too that I am not talking about a notch or two backing off. After a 30 round mag it has done a half to three quarter turn on the mount. If I don't tighten it I will get baffle strikes. I had the springs replaced and I put a new mount on my gun this past week and it is just as bad as before.

The first thing I will be looking at on the silencerco cans is the mount. I know ops cans have excellent mounts and excellent suppression. I see maybe a 12th and 16th model in my future! :D
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
DMViergever

Post by DMViergever »

Kevin/AAC wrote:I have a couple of comments...

First of all, I like several companies that are named in this thread.

Secondly, I want to improve CS, and everything else at AAC. I will never be satisfied with our company. To me, we could never do enough for our customers.

Lastly, we make more silencers than every other company combined in this thread. Although many companies listed make great products, let's continue this discussion when they are selling more than a few hundred silencers per year or offer more than 2 products. You know...after the honeymoon.

What does this mean? That you guys have the ability to produce more cans at once in a production run so that you make more per can than the other companies also? You guys clearly put a ton of money into marketing to sell even more cans. I would imagine that if you put half your advertising efforts into some CS efforts there might not be a problem. You guys seem to spend a lot of time answering questions on here, some of which are not related to your business at all what if you picked up the phone and helped a customer instead? I'm not part of any companies or anything and I don't even own a suppressor yet but Personally, from my experience all of the smaller time guys have gotten back to my e-mails the same day, and that's been the owner of the company. Now they may supposedly not have the innovation or testing that you guys do but they treat their ALL of their customers and potential customers like they matter. Some of them may even be happier having one or 2 products and never going into you know...the honeymoon. I don't have any qualms with you folks but you are sitting here defending why you guys customer service is not that great.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

The plural of "anecdote" is note evidence. People who are upset always post more than people who are happy.

I rarely post about AAC customer service, but I have called Mers a few times with technical questions and always gotten a prompt answer. The only "problem" I ever had was a mount that came without Rocksett - I had 3 new bottles in my mailbox a couple days later, along with a bunch of free stickers.

I agree with the posters above - great CS is a good thing, but it's even better to not use the CS people in the first place. My 18T mounts do not back off even after repeated mag dumps.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

JohnDS wrote: To blatantly disregard this mans situation because "it's your own fault for buying an 18t" says two things to me. First that the flaw in the 18t is being accepted. Second - that it was ok to lie to him blatantly to make a buck. These are the kinds of customer service examples that steer me away from companies.
First, I wasn't "blatantly disregarding this man's situation". Secondly, I am not "accepting a flaw in the 18T", because I haven't had issues with mine. Lastly, I'm not condoning a lie. After hearing the rest of his story I have to agree, he pretty much got screwed....my initial response was based on what the op posted initially which didn't detail the situation. I still wouldn't call it a 'bait and switch' although the end result is pretty much the same....I think it's more like a sorry POS lying to him in order to deplete their stock. No integrity there. I'd be curious who actually told him that lie. Was it actually AAC telling his dealer this, or did he purchase a 762 that his dealer already had in stock? This would raise my suspicion towards the dealer, unless he was a good friend. Either way, yeah, it sucks, and he has a right to be pissed.
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

rockman96 wrote:
JohnDS wrote: To blatantly disregard this mans situation because "it's your own fault for buying an 18t" says two things to me. First that the flaw in the 18t is being accepted. Second - that it was ok to lie to him blatantly to make a buck. These are the kinds of customer service examples that steer me away from companies.
First, I wasn't "blatantly disregarding this man's situation". Secondly, I am not "accepting a flaw in the 18T", because I haven't had issues with mine. Lastly, I'm not condoning a lie. After hearing the rest of his story I have to agree, he pretty much got screwed....my initial response was based on what the op posted initially which didn't detail the situation. I still wouldn't call it a 'bait and switch' although the end result is pretty much the same....I think it's more like a sorry POS lying to him in order to deplete their stock. No integrity there. I'd be curious who actually told him that lie. Was it actually AAC telling his dealer this, or did he purchase a 762 that his dealer already had in stock? This would raise my suspicion towards the dealer, unless he was a good friend. Either way, yeah, it sucks, and he has a right to be pissed.

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=55691&p=552229&hil ... 62#p552229

I have no reason to believe my dealer was lying to me.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD