Can't defend yourself if you work at Walmart

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

hedonistic
Silent But Deadly

Can't defend yourself if you work at Walmart

Post by hedonistic »

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14319284

I told them I am not spending a dime there
Islam is an intolerant, oppressive, social, political, governmental institution that preaches hatred and murder it was created by a man who married a six year old child.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Re: Can't defend yourself if you work at Walmart

Post by Twinsen »

Any big company would do that. Not saying you can't avoid big companies. It can be difficult though.
lilfuzzybuny
Silent But Deadly

Post by lilfuzzybuny »

i've worked for walmart and they told us the same thing dont bother stopping them yell at them maybe but dont bother stopping them. im not going to risk my life or anyone elses for a pos mic product. of course losses affect year end bonuses but the mangers screwed that for us anyway
smooth is learned, fast is practiced, precision is earned.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I have to be honest with you, the day a manager fires me for something like that is the same day he/she doesn't get to go home. Their face can join the sad little montage of black-and-whites that welcome you into Wal-Mart. If I am feeling generous - if - then I won't set fire to their home while they sleep and then twist a blade in their guts when they stumble out, half-choking, half-asleep, and completely fucked - courtesty of the one who defended himself once.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

25% of violent attacks occur when the victim is between home and work, during 6 AM-6 PM. If you become a victim because you were unable to defend yourself due to Wal Mart's policy, provided you survive, then sue them for forcing you to be an unarmed victim and failing to provide for your security, for which they’ve now assumed responsibility. Beyond that…"Don't ask. Don't tell." It's not just for gays in the military. :wink:
lilfuzzybuny
Silent But Deadly

Post by lilfuzzybuny »

the good thing is they have a million dollar life insurance policy if anyone dies on the premissis employee or customer of course there are restrictions and they'd do a number to refuse payout but its a mill so go figure
brianb
Silent But Deadly

Post by brianb »

It would be one thing to let a fleeing suspect with a weapon to just leave, but if they're trying to get THROUGH you, isn't that a different deal? This isn't about a guy just trying to leave is it, really? He pulled a gun on loss prevention after they had him in their custody in their office and they were between him and the door - and they were between him and the customers. Then it becomes a matter of letting him get to where the customers are. One would think that if they let him out, and he shoots up the store and civilians are hit, Walfart is going to be owned by the customers...

So (1), its a matter of self-defense on the employees' part (Loss Prevention - who should have some modicum of training in this area, eh?) , and (2) safeguarding customers' exposure to a REAL threat, which is a desperate GUNMAN (not a frickin' shoplifter).

The way I see it, the company owes these guys big time for stopping this creep and ending a big liability situation. The black and white language of the policy and the mindless idiots (henceforth refereed to properly as idjits) who both instituted it and enforced it afterwards deserves some serious legal scrutiny and punishment by some savvy lawyer types with money hungry eyes (never really thought I'd be in favor of that, honestly).
brianb
Silent But Deadly

Post by brianb »

lilfuzzybuny wrote:the good thing is they have a million dollar life insurance policy if anyone dies on the premissis employee or customer of course there are restrictions and they'd do a number to refuse payout but its a mill so go figure
Yeah. So, you're willing to die to collect? Go for it.

Or did I miss the sarcasm?
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

So, according to the policy, they were simply supposed to comply with the demands of the guy holding the gun.

I can understand that. Despite the fact that the people found themselves in a good position to disarm the guy before he went back out into the sea of customers only to be confronted by the police at the door. If that happened, I can almost guarantee it would have been suicide by police. The would have been great for PR. But hey, policy is policy and it probably would have been safer for the employees involved to simply let the guy go.

That being said, what if the gunman demanded to be led to the office of the store manager? I'm thinking they would be looking for a job despite complying with company policy.

In the end, Wal-Mart did them a favor. Wal-Mart is the suckiest place to be a customer and it's even worse to work there from everything I've heard...
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

How often do victims get killed by armed robbers, despite fully complying with the robber's demands? It happens all too frequently around Metro Atlanta. They kill the victims, even AFTER the victims have complied and given the robbers what they demanded.

So my question is...Do you feel lucky? I mean, how many times can you afford to be wrong? You cannot rely on the mercy of a savage to ensure you live through a deadly encounter.
lilfuzzybuny
Silent But Deadly

Post by lilfuzzybuny »

brianb wrote:
lilfuzzybuny wrote:the good thing is they have a million dollar life insurance policy if anyone dies on the premissis employee or customer of course there are restrictions and they'd do a number to refuse payout but its a mill so go figure
Yeah. So, you're willing to die to collect? Go for it.

Or did I miss the sarcasm?
well i typed that with only have 2 hours of sleep to cover the 30 hours or so since ive been awake
but i guess i meant to make that more sarcastic but tis ish the interwebs go figure :lol:
brianb
Silent But Deadly

Post by brianb »

700PSS wrote:How often do victims get killed by armed robbers, despite fully complying with the robber's demands? It happens all too frequently around Metro Atlanta. They kill the victims, even AFTER the victims have complied and given the robbers what they demanded.

So my question is...Do you feel lucky? I mean, how many times can you afford to be wrong? You cannot rely on the mercy of a savage to ensure you live through a deadly encounter.
Damn 700PSS - right on! that's exactly on point. If you're going to let them dictate how you're going to risk your life based upon some "policy"... sucks to be "you" then. It's a no-win working there. Libertard policies abound.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

I believe that most such corporate anti-defense polices are predicated on the assumption that most people use weapons for criminal OFFENSE, rather than DEFENSE against criminals and thus, they assume the approved presence of weapons is the greater of the two liabilities they can choose.

Ultimately, the business expects to not incur a loss if something goes wrong. That is, YOU will be the one to incur a loss as YOU are the victim. Life goes on for the business. You can be replaced. The business can afford to be wrong on this. You cannot.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Interestingly enough, the concept of being a sheeple is what, at least one other large corp., expects. My nutcase neighbor says that in his interations with E.I.Dupont, they counsel they're "subjects" to comply with airline hijackers directions without any question.

My nutcase neghbor is quite the connected person.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
solitary.phoenix
Silent But Deadly

Post by solitary.phoenix »

TROOPER wrote:I have to be honest with you, the day a manager fires me for something like that is the same day he/she doesn't get to go home. Their face can join the sad little montage of black-and-whites that welcome you into Wal-Mart. If I am feeling generous - if - then I won't set fire to their home while they sleep and then twist a blade in their guts when they stumble out, half-choking, half-asleep, and completely fucked - courtesty of the one who defended himself once.
No, really man. We want to know how you feel about this. Don't be shy.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Why did the state let him plea simple robbery?
hedonistic
Silent But Deadly

Post by hedonistic »

silencertalk wrote:Why did the state let him plea simple robbery?
Because I am not in Texas and in this over taxed state the bus service comes before the scales of justice.
Islam is an intolerant, oppressive, social, political, governmental institution that preaches hatred and murder it was created by a man who married a six year old child.
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

I attribute much of this "you should cower and let the professionals handle it" to the popular 1980's mantra of "tell the bad guy to 'take it all, but please don't hurt me!'".

I'm not saying that we should all be vigilantes, but anyone who does not stand up to criminal activity sends a clear message to criminals: they do not have to fear that people will stand up to them.
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

Bank employees are trained to do exactly that. Just do as asked. Is it wrong?
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

jppd47 wrote:Bank employees are trained to do exactly that. Just do as asked. Is it wrong?
Only you know what is wrong and what isn't based on the infinite number of subtle variables that play in any given criminal situation. If that moment comes and I fervently believe that my death is imminent and absolute, then company policy is for living people only, and not for people in-transition. Priorities change fast, and while I can appreciate the store policy for what it is, it simply doen't apply in every instance.

Logically, from the flip-side of this? If the company policy was that all bank clerks (or Wal-Mart employees) resist all crime by all means possible, how enforceable would that be?

Really, businesses are in a no-win situation on this one. That said, firing a man for defending himself... what the hell? Like if he hadn't defended himself perhaps they could retain the robbers future business? It makes no sense. And I condemn every single person who was in the chain on that decision and thought that surely someone else would make the courageous stand so they wouldn't have to.
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

agreed
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

The best store/bank policy would make it clear that company property is fully insured and isn't worth dying over and to practice de-escalation techniques whenever possible. If the situation deteriorates to the point where you feel that the bad guy is going to kill you regardless of whether or not you fulfill their demands, then you do what you have to do to defend yourself and the company will stand behind you 100%
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
SuperTige
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SuperTige »

Interesting story - frustrating. I understand the liability issue to the business and the point they want to make.

However, at which point is it established that the employees were defending themselves and their peers to preserve their certainty of life...who give a F--k about company policy in that situation?! If either me or my co-workers (incidentally most of which are my close friends) were confronted by some crack-head, gun wielding shoplifter, I can guarantee with a more than reasonable degree of certainty that his bitch ass is gonna' get owned.

Whatever the company decides to do with me from there is their decision, but I'm not going to let that block my sight of what the "right" course of action is!
~ST
I do what I do best; I take scores. You do what you do best; try to stop guys like me.
solitary.phoenix
Silent But Deadly

Post by solitary.phoenix »

If you lost your wal-mart job as a result of defending yourself and others then I'm sure there are some decent law enforcement agencies around that would pick you up, give you better pay and better benefits. Consider it a present given in ugly giftwrapping.
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

Don't like a store policy then don't work there. Problem solved.
My intelligence is like a suppressed rimfire pistol. You may not be able to hear it, but it certainly always hits its mark.