Anybody silenced the Ruger Gunsite Scout yet?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Anybody silenced the Ruger Gunsite Scout yet?

Post by weaponsloader »

Seems like a neat host, has anybody tried it yet? I've got a 762SD on the way and I'm looking for hosts options other than my hunting rifles. Any thoughts on the matter?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill every person you meet."
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anybody silenced the Ruger Gunsite Scout yet?

Post by TROOPER »

Your fish is too small.
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

TROOPER wrote:Your fish is too small.
Lol I dont really have a witty reply for that....
msgmwrdn
Silent Operator

Post by msgmwrdn »

That is a sweet rifle. I would be able to say yes if the bolt handle was on the left side. :D
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

Here's mine with my 762SD attached.

The sights clear the suppressor with a great deal of room to spare. Problem is, on my particular rifle, there isn't enough adjustment in the rear sight to establish a 100 yard zero. With the rear sight bottomed out and and adjusted all the way to the right the rifle printed most all ammo 6" high and 4 " left at 100 yards. This is without the suppressor attached

POI shift with the suppressor attached is 7" down and 2" left at 100 yards. Suppression (to my ear) is teh equivilant of my 18 and 20 inch 308 caliber rifles with the same suppressor.

I characterize the rifle as extremely accurate with my handloads (45.5 grains of AA2520 and a 168 Grain BTHP). Bullets were seated to maximum length refrence the magazine. I believe COAL waa 2.84"

It'll group 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards with this load and my 2X28 weaver pistol scope attached. I am positive with a higher magnification scope I could get groups to close up to a half inch.

Ammo with 140 to 150 grain bullets didn't fare so well, grouping into about 2.5-3 inches or so at 100 yards.

My impression of the rifle is extremely favorable, the problem with the rear sight notwithstanding.

Trigger pull is light and crisp and very conducive to managing group size.

Getting the factory flash hider off was a bit of a pain in the ass, as I had to boil it for 30 mins and use an old remington butterfly choke removal tool to get it off.

The Choke removal tool broke on the first attempt and I had to flip it over and use the other wing clamped in vice grips to remove it.

It broke loose with a resounding "bang" and spun off easily after that.

When I threaded the AAC Blackout flashider on, the threads on the barrel were so long that the mount bottomed out on the muzzle face.

Not necessarily a big deal but when I mounted the can to look through the bore to check the clearance I could see it was favoring the right side a little.

Figuring the muzzle wasn't square I removed the mount and replaced it using the washer that came off with the original flash hider.

This moved the mount forward off the muzzle face and that trued it right up.

Looking through the bore from the chamber end I could see no portion of the can.

So far I've run about 200 rounds through the rifle with the can attached and it's running just fine.

Ammo used has run the gamut from russian steel cased 140 grain soft points, 150 grain brass cased surplus to the handloads listed above and I have had no problems with the set up whatsoever.

If you have a Scout and an AAC 762SD, it's definetly with the price of the mount to suppress it.
Last edited by ATCDoktor on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Wow, excellent response and thank you for all the helpful information. Looks like I've found my next project!
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

No problem, I plan on doing some chronograph work this week if the weather holds. I will see how much velocity is lost using the 16.5 inch barrel

I also plan on taking the Scout to Texas for a springtime hog hunt.

I hunted hogs last month in TX with my M1A scout and the 762SD, and while it performed very well, it was extremely cumbersome with the suppressor attached and "swung" clumsily in the offhand position.

The Ruger Scout with the 762SD attached swings very well and the balance point is right under the scope mount, it should be "just right" for a suppressed woods gun.
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Do you plan to replace the scope or are you happy as-is? I've been eyeballing some scout scope from Leupold and Burris but haven't really made up my mind. I think I might put together some subsonic loads using trailboss when my can comes in
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

The weaver 2X28 is adequate but I need a little more magnification.

I'm leaning towards this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=353309

But I would like to have a Burris with a Ballistiplex reticule.

Alternate aiming points for varying distances is a big plus but they are out of stock on all those models.

SWFA has them in stock but I would like to handle one prior to purchasing.
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Interesting, for some reason I never thought to put a pistol scope on the scout rifle but it makes a lot of sense. Come to think of it I have one of these on my 223 contender.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=127391

Any drawbacks using a pistol scope as compared to a designated scout scope?
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

Essentially they're the same thing (my weaver is a pistol scope, I snatched it off my 500 S&W to use it on the ruger).

I would use your Leupold in a second, there's no need for you to buy another scope or rings if your going to use it on a Scout Rifle.

There may be issues with eye reliefe at the higher powers but normally eye relief shortens when magnification goes up. You shouldn't have any problems with it on a Scout.
Last edited by ATCDoktor on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

I just may do that, thanks again for the help
Vortex

Post by Vortex »

A poster at Sturmgewehr just posted a picture of a can damaged after being used on his new Scout rifle: http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semif ... ead=108566
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

That sucks. Again, I have 200 rounds through mine with no problems.

But as stated in my previous post, when I had the mount indexed on the muzzle face (looking down the barrel from the chamber) I could see it was favoring the the right side.

Using the washer that came off with the original flash suppressor moved the mount forward off the muzzle face.

Once I did that I could look down the barrel and no part of the suppressor was visible.

That gentleman must not have looked to see if the suppressor lined up properly once he installed it.
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

That sucks, I'm definitely going to check extensively before shooting! So I was reading a gunblast review about the scout, and he talks about a rail made by XS sights that can be installed so conventional scopes can be used. I like the idea, I just wonder if it could still be used in conjunction with the iron sights. From the pictures it looks like the rear sight had to be removed, which is not cool in my book because I would like to have back up iron sights if I somehow break my optics.
Heres the link:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Gunsite.htm
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

The rear sight has to come off to mount the XS rail extension. That being identified, XS makes back up sights that (I believe) can be used with just about any rail. Give their website a look, the extended rail isn't listed but from what I hear, you can order it by calling in the order.
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

That M1A Scout is pretty dang neat too. Ive heard some mixed reviews about silencing the M1A. Beside being a little bit unwieldy with the can attached, how does it serve as a host? Btw I love the camo pattern
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

weaponsloader wrote:Interesting, for some reason I never thought to put a pistol scope on the scout rifle but it makes a lot of sense. Come to think of it I have one of these on my 223 contender.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=127391

Any drawbacks using a pistol scope as compared to a designated scout scope?
I currently have the Leupold scout scope on my Savage Scout. I recently sold a TC Contender barrel that I had a Burris 2-7x28mm pistol scope on. I've held the pistol scope tight up against the scout scope to see if it would work as a pistol scope has a slightly smaller eye relief than the scout scope. But everything appears to be OK, so it looks I'll be replacing the fixed 2-1/2x 20mm Leupold scout for the Burris 2-7x28mm pistol scope.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

As far as the M1A Scout platform and suppressing it is concerned, unless you already have one, I wouldn't recommend it.

It's super expensive (for what you get) and out of the box it's a 2.5 to 3.5 moa gun.

Accurizing can be quite involved and conventional "scoping" is a pain reference managing a proper cheek weld.

As a suppressor platform it's loud (unless you turn the gas off) and somewhat involved to "kit out" for that purpose.

Depending on the suppressor your gonna use, you need a Delta P or similar adapter, an adjustable gas plug and your mount to get it up and running.

Tolerance creep between the barrel threads, the crown of your barrel, the Delta P adapter and your mount can conspire to give you fits reference suppressor alignment.

Mine, on initial testing, had a 3 foot POI shift at 100 yards.

I had to get a gunsmith to check it all out and it was determined that the muzzle face wasn't square and that threw the alignment of the Delta P adapter off and thus the rounds were impacting 3 feet low at 100 yards.

The gunsmith trued he muzzle face and all was well with alignment but as previously stated it's a loud platform once suppressed (unless you turn the gass off).

While on the subject of gas reference the M1A, it is significantly over gassed with a suppressor in place. Even with a Schuster Gas Plug adjusted for the ammo being used I still get gas shot directly into my shooting eye. Blown primers are common on mine and I believe that is a specific function of the action opening too soon with the suppressor in place (timing too far advanced).

For the money you spend on the M1A there are better platforms out there reference suppression.
The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

A little thread necromancy, if nobody objects.......

I succeeded in suppressing my RGS with an AAC 762-SDN-6 not too long ago. I am not entirely satisfied with the results, but it does work. I had a AAC 51T flashhider for it, and the problem is that the front sight is too close to the threads to allow the flashhider to thread all the way onto the barrel. So my son, who is a machinist, made me a stainless steel bushing that fits over the first 1/2" or so of threads. That allows the flashhider to stand off from the threads far enough to not contact the front sight (see pictures below).

The good news..... it does work. The rifle is not only significantly quieter, but the recoil impulse is significantly reduced as well. The bad news.....it is not perfectly concentric with the bore, and the shift in POI is so dramatic as to make the zero worthless unless you leave the can mounted. Since I use this can on two other weapons - a 300 Blk SBR and a 5.56 carbine - I can't dedicate it to the RGS. I have used a .308" bore guide rod to prove that the bullet will clear the baffles without a strike with the suppressor mounted, but you can see that the bore guide rod is not perfectly centered at the exit of the can. I may just end up rebarreling the rifle with a properly threaded barrel, or find a way to ditch the front sight for an aftermarket item that sits further back from the muzzle.

BE ADVISED: I was told by AAC customer service during an unrelated conversation that this would void the warranty on my suppressor if there was a baffle strike.

Bushing inside the flashhider:

Flashhider on the barrel:

Rifle with suppressor mounted:
(The scope is a Vortex 2.5-10x32 Viper PST FFP MRAD, and it is perfect for this rifle, if you want a scope mounted in the traditional position instead of a forward scout position.)
Palerider

Post by Palerider »

ATCDoktor wrote:Here's mine with my 762SD attached.
Outstanding. I plan to do the same and use multiple 51T AAC mounts to use one 762-SD suppressor on multiple rifles/calibers.
I have 2 ?'s:
1) Which 51T mount did you use? - Std or Deep Socket:

2) What thread locker? ie: Rocksett - Loctite?

Thanks!
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

The Annoyed Man wrote:A little thread necromancy, if nobody objects.......
As one of the more outspoken members against necro's this actually adds to the value of this thread.

Still not going to buy a scout but I like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895