Trailer: ‘Atlas Shrugged’

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Trailer: ‘Atlas Shrugged’

Post by Hush »

The Official Atlas Shrugged Movie Trailer. Atlas Shrugged Part 1 opens in theaters April 15th, 2011.

http://www.breitbart.tv/trailer-atlas-shrugged/
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Re: Trailer: ‘Atlas Shrugged’

Post by st33ve0 »

Can't wait! :D
mudshark
Silent But Deadly

Post by mudshark »

I gaurantee Hollywood has fucked this up. There is no possible way they could accurately depict this book on film. It's very ideals run contrary to everything they believe in.
Mitt Romney is a gun banning RINO.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Part 1, eh? Parts 2-10 have the monologue, I expect...
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
jdj
Elite Member

Post by jdj »

PTK wrote:Part 1, eh? Parts 2-10 have the monologue, I expect...
Lol.... so true.

Seriously though, can't imagine a (even multi-part) movie doing the book justice. One would think it would be better for a well done miniseries like Band of brothers or Lonesome Dove. At the very least it should require a 9 hour trilogy a la LOTR.

The change to a "modern setting" - (cars, dress, etc), is already a big predictor of FAIL. It's not exactly the age of Steel industry and railroad expansion anymore.
"I regard virginity as a correctible perversity of no interest" - Lazarus Long (Time Enough for Love), Robert A. Heinlein
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

It's going to be three parts, which actually should split it up pretty nicely. It being set in modern times is kind of interesting. Was really expecting it to be set in the 40's.
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

Great. Now a whole new group of self righteous idiots can run around acting like they are enlightened because they "know all about that book too".

Welcome to the 21st century gents. Now everyone can be enlightened by the state sponsored version of history and Hollywood's rendition of the books that define mankind.

And to think, I thought they went too far with the Starship Troopers movie...
solitary.phoenix
Silent But Deadly

Post by solitary.phoenix »

Wikipedia wrote: A film adaptation of Atlas Shrugged has been in "development hell" for over 35 years.[75] In 1972, Albert S. Ruddy approached Rand to produce a cinematic adaptation of Atlas Shrugged. Rand insisted on having final script approval, which Ruddy refused to give her, thus preventing a deal. In 1978, Henry and Michael Jaffe negotiated a deal for an eight-hour Atlas Shrugged television miniseries on NBC. Michael Jaffe hired screenwriter Sterling Silliphant to adapt the novel and he obtained approval from Rand on the final script. However, in 1979, with Fred Silverman's rise as president of NBC, the project was scrapped.[76]

Rand, a former Hollywood screenwriter herself, began writing her own screenplay, but died in 1982 with only one-third of it finished. She left her estate, including the film rights to Atlas, to her student Leonard Peikoff, who sold an option to Michael Jaffe and Ed Snider. Peikoff would not approve the script they wrote, and the deal fell through. In 1992, investor John Aglialoro bought an option to produce the film, paying Peikoff over $1 million for full creative control.[76]

In 1999, under John Aglialoro's sponsorship, Albert Ruddy negotiated a deal with Turner Network Television for a four-hour miniseries, but the project was killed after the AOL Time Warner merger. After the TNT deal fell through Howard and Karen Baldwin obtained the rights while running Phillip Anschutz's Crusader Entertainment. The Baldwins left Crusader and formed Baldwin Entertainment Group in 2004, taking the rights to Atlas Shrugged with them. Michael Burns of Lions Gate Entertainment approached the Baldwins to fund and distribute Atlas Shrugged.[76] A two-part draft screenplay written by James V. Hart[77] was re-written into a 127-page screenplay by Randall Wallace, with Vadim Perelman expected to direct.[78] Potential cast members for this production had included Angelina Jolie,[79] Charlize Theron,[80] Julia Roberts,[81] Anne Hathaway,[81] Russell Crowe,[82] and Brad Pitt.[77] Subsequent developments have cast doubt on the participation of some of these individuals, although the resurgence of public interest in the novel appears to be attracting additional funding.[83]

In May 2010, Brian Patrick O'Toole and Aglialoro wrote a screenplay, intent to begin filming in June 2010. Stephen Polk was set to direct.[84] However, Polk was fired and principal photography began on June 13, 2010 under the direction of Paul Johansson, who also plays Galt. (Johansson has dismissed reports of his playing Galt by explaining that his portrayal of the character would be limited to Part One of a planned film trilogy and would be seen only from the back of the head while wearing a hat. In an interview, when asked who is John Galt in the future parts of the film, Johansson replied, "Not me".)[85] This resulted in Aglialoro's retention of his rights to the property, which were set to expire on June 15, 2010. Dagny Taggart is played by Taylor Schilling and Hank Rearden by Grant Bowler.[86] The film is being produced by Harmon Kaslow and John Aglialoro.[87] Filming wrapped on July 20, 2010.[88] It is set for release on April 15, 2011.[89]

Seems like a lot going on there for a long, long time.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

So because the libs/progs don't like the fact that conservatives disagree with them, they will start calling conservatives "shruggers" now? Much like they used "tea baggers", etc?
Syntax360
Silent But Deadly

Post by Syntax360 »

I wholly expect this to be terrible, but I loved the book - without a doubt, I'll be there to see this.