Opinions of 9mm YHM Cobra?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Opinions of 9mm YHM Cobra?

Post by eastern_hunter »

Guys,

Am looking for a 9mm can. Must work with factory threaded P229. Would like to be able to take it apart to clean it. Would love for it to be useable on a 9mm subgun until I can afford one to dedicate to that purpose.

My local SOT is pretty much a YHM focus dealer. What is the reputation of their Cobra suppressor? Can a Nielsen device be added to the YHM XL 9mm suppressor for use on a pistol?

Thanks!

(Wish the SWC Trident-9 could be disassembled.)
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Re: Opinions of 9mm YHM Cobra?

Post by yamatitan »

eastern_hunter wrote:Guys,

Am looking for a 9mm can. Must work with factory threaded P229. Would like to be able to take it apart to clean it. Would love for it to be useable on a 9mm subgun until I can afford one to dedicate to that purpose.

My local SOT is pretty much a YHM focus dealer. What is the reputation of their Cobra suppressor? Can a Nielsen device be added to the YHM XL 9mm suppressor for use on a pistol?

Thanks!

(Wish the SWC Trident-9 could be disassembled.)
The new SWR Octane-9 can be disassembled and its 10 times the can then the YHM imo and a little quieter than the old trident. Ive also heard its hard to get extra pistons for the cobra because YHM wont sell them anymore due to the ATF saying they were suppressor parts. So you stuck with one thread pitch which sucks. The AAC Tirant is also a great choice and the new model can be disassembled as well.
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

As stated. For your requirements Id look into the SWR Octane 9
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

yamatitan wrote:The new SWR Octane-9 can be disassembled and its 10 times the can then the YHM imo and a little quieter than the old trident. Ive also heard its hard to get extra pistons for the cobra because YHM wont sell them anymore due to the ATF saying they were suppressor parts...
Interesting. Can you expand on your understandings around the YHM Cobra's down side(s), other than the apparent piston mess YHM found themselves in?

As a note, after talking with "a major suppressor dealer" about a couple of 9mm cans, including YHM cans, I did order a Octane-9 from him. As I recall, he had nothing bad to say about YHM's offerings, nor did he try to talk me into any specific suppressor, just that he believed the Octane-9 would be a great choice.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

I've shot a few, and they seemed loud, even the one compared to the old core Evo 9 that was next to it. FRP was also loud. On a Mac subgun the blowback made shooting unpleasant, but you'll get that with any low volume can.
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

I've never shot one but the tested quite loud. I wouldn't condiser one, get the Octane.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

continuity wrote:
yamatitan wrote:The new SWR Octane-9 can be disassembled and its 10 times the can then the YHM imo and a little quieter than the old trident. Ive also heard its hard to get extra pistons for the cobra because YHM wont sell them anymore due to the ATF saying they were suppressor parts...
Interesting. Can you expand on your understandings around the YHM Cobra's down side(s), other than the apparent piston mess YHM found themselves in?

As a note, after talking with "a major suppressor dealer" about a couple of 9mm cans, including YHM cans, I did order a Octane-9 from him. As I recall, he had nothing bad to say about YHM's offerings, nor did he try to talk me into any specific suppressor, just that he believed the Octane-9 would be a great choice.
Like was said they are loud budget cans. Other than and the main reason of only having one thread pitch they are fine. But suppression and the ability of switching between host is a big factor to me, take apart is a another bonus that the YHM doesnt offer and the OP was looking for. I guess 10 times the can may be a little exaggeration more like 4 times. lol
R&M

Post by R&M »

I have to come to the defense of the YHM Cobra M2 here. I agree with most of what was said, but not being able to change thread specs and host guns is just wrong. Because of the way the booster is designed you don't have to change the whole thing to change threads. All you need to change is the "Universal Pistol Adapter" at the back of the booster assembly ($18 MSRP). All the common thread pitches/diameters are available. I have one for 1/2-28 and M13.5x1LH for my Sigs. This is not my quietest 9MM can but it is hearing safe, and like most of YHMs products it is an excellent value. With most other boosted suppressors you need to change out the whole booster or piston to change thread specs which can be very expensive depending on the system.

One other serviceable can to look at would be the new Liberty Mystic.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

R&M wrote:I have to come to the defense of the YHM Cobra M2 here. I agree with most of what was said, but not being able to change thread specs and host guns is just wrong. Because of the way the booster is designed you don't have to change the whole thing to change threads. All you need to change is the "Universal Pistol Adapter" at the back of the booster assembly ($18 MSRP). All the common thread pitches/diameters are available. I have one for 1/2-28 and M13.5x1LH for my Sigs. This is not my quietest 9MM can but it is hearing safe, and like most of YHMs products it is an excellent value. With most other boosted suppressors you need to change out the whole booster or piston to change thread specs which can be very expensive depending on the system.

They used to sell them to change out but not anymore. You cant find them now YHM wont sell the piston at all. The only way to change it is to get lucky and find someone like you who has more than one and is willing to sell it or send the can back to YHM get them to change the piston out and them ship it back to you without the old one.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Octane 9 HD appears to be ideal. There is not prices on the SWR Website for the Octane-9 yet. Anyone have an idea of what an HD unit with the stuff for a 1/2x28 to 3 lug for a pistol and a 1/2" to 3 lug for a subgun is going to be?

Thanks!
ncsu90
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncsu90 »

yamatitan wrote:
R&M wrote:I have to come to the defense of the YHM Cobra M2 here. I agree with most of what was said, but not being able to change thread specs and host guns is just wrong. Because of the way the booster is designed you don't have to change the whole thing to change threads. All you need to change is the "Universal Pistol Adapter" at the back of the booster assembly ($18 MSRP). All the common thread pitches/diameters are available. I have one for 1/2-28 and M13.5x1LH for my Sigs. This is not my quietest 9MM can but it is hearing safe, and like most of YHMs products it is an excellent value. With most other boosted suppressors you need to change out the whole booster or piston to change thread specs which can be very expensive depending on the system.

They used to sell them to change out but not anymore. You cant find them now YHM wont sell the piston at all. The only way to change it is to get lucky and find someone like you who has more than one and is willing to sell it or send the can back to YHM get them to change the piston out and them ship it back to you without the old one.
R&M is right, the way YHM fixed the issue with the pistons was to thread them to accept the "universal pistol adapters", and because they also use them for their line of pistol compensators, it was a little easier putting them on the market. Here is the link if you wish to see what they look like: http://yhm.net/store/muzzle.html The new M2's piston are threaded to accept the adapter, and you can purchase the adapters in different threads. Us owner's of the old style piston can send the whole can in to have them retro fitted with the new pistons. But I already have the two I wanted, so I didn't see any need to do so. I would like to know how well the left handed thread adapters work going into a right handed thread piston. Looks like it would cause soom issues when you tighten it onto the can. However, for those that bought the 45 can to shoot 40 and 9mm, this would be a great way to get the different thread pitches required. That is one advantage of the M2 if you own a 45.

Now the problem, as stated earlier YHM has ceased selling the different styles of mounts. If you want to use the M2 with a fixed threaded endcap, a QD flash hider mount, or a three lug you will have to send in the can to have that style mount installed and your old one removed. And I'm not sure if they are even still doing that as I haven't had any contact with YHM in several months. I finally gave up on purchasing a fixed barrel adapter and found that the multimount threaded endcap worked fine. If you are looking at using it on several diffent styles of host, look elsewhere.
Sound wise, it serves me well but I don't shoot alot of center fire in the yard. It is hearing safe, and because I haven't heard it against anything else, I think it's pretty quiet. My two host are a SIG P229 and a CZ85 9mm. I do own a Marlin lever action, a camp carbine and a contender in 357, but have yet to have any of them threaded. Hopefully soon I will rectify the issue and the M2 will see more time out of the safe.
ncsu90
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncsu90 »

eastern_hunter wrote:Octane 9 HD appears to be ideal. There is not prices on the SWR Website for the Octane-9 yet. Anyone have an idea of what an HD unit with the stuff for a 1/2x28 to 3 lug for a pistol and a 1/2" to 3 lug for a subgun is going to be?

Thanks!
Send a PM to Major Malfunction, I bought my Spectre from him and he really had some good prices. You can also post a request in his area of this forum.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

;-) E-mail already sent, but the PM is a great idea! Thanks.