Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

wakerider017
Silent But Deadly

GAP rifles.

Post by wakerider017 »

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision ... ifles.html

Why SOO expensive?

I add up the cost of the parts and it doesn't equal the 4K price tags. Is their labor really that expensive?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Re: GAP rifles.

Post by silencertalk »

People like their gunsmithing. The small details in the assembly.
robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Post by robpiat »

The have a cult like following. They were clever in offering some turn-key packages when other companies were still doing ambiguous priced hourly services. I would say that they are the Nighthawk Custom of the precision rifle world. Nothing unprecedented, but make good rifles and they make it easier for people to buy.
xdeano
Silent But Deadly

Post by xdeano »

Because they shoot! All the guess work has been taken out and they will out shoot you. There is no guessing whether or not the groups you get are you or the gun. If you shoot a not very decent group with one, it's you, not the gun.

xdeano
Darin Reiss
Silent Operator

Post by Darin Reiss »

GAP guns are not cheap but they shoot GREAT and have VERY GOOD resale value.

Darin
Raines/762-SD
Silent But Deadly

Post by Raines/762-SD »

robpiat wrote:The have a cult like following. They were clever in offering some turn-key packages when other companies were still doing ambiguous priced hourly services. I would say that they are the Nighthawk Custom of the precision rifle world. Nothing unprecedented, but make good rifles and they make it easier for people to buy.

And their turn around time is only like 4 months as opposed to others that take 8 mo. to a year..
LSU Football National Champs
1908, 1958, 2003, 2007
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

I'd heard a bit about them over the last couple of years and when I decided to have a rifle built last fall I approched them and a couple of other shops about building one. I told George what i was looking for and he said he thought he could make me a shooter, so i placed the order. I'm not a .308 fan so that knocked most of the other shops out of the running because that's all they wanted to build. I guess mines in finishing now. Got an email asking what color i wanted the metal and what color for the stock. Told them I didn't care so It'll be a suprised when it shows up.
robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Post by robpiat »

k31user wrote:I'd heard a bit about them over the last couple of years and when I decided to have a rifle built last fall I approched them and a couple of other shops about building one. I told George what i was looking for and he said he thought he could make me a shooter, so i placed the order. I'm not a .308 fan so that knocked most of the other shops out of the running because that's all they wanted to build. I guess mines in finishing now. Got an email asking what color i wanted the metal and what color for the stock. Told them I didn't care so It'll be a suprised when it shows up.

What caliber?
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

My crusader should be here in a few days :D
zakk
Silent But Deadly

Post by zakk »

They sure are some damn nice rifles though. This is the first I've seen of them. I want the hospitaller just because its called the hospitaller. I really like FBI HRT also.
libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

Post by libertyman777 »

Buy used. You can find a deal if you're patient.
Remember............ You're Special, Unique, One of a Kind.............Just like everyone else.................
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

Mine's ready to ship next week. Just in time for a little spring Coyote and Chuck action. I better get some brass and bullets ordered. All i asked for was a single shot in 6.5. Everything else i'll find out when it gets here.
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

Mine came in today. Looks good. Nice even lines. Very plain looking(what i wanted), no bells or whistles. Olive stock, black metal, nice extraction cam, very nice trigger. Looking forward to getting a free day to break it in and then head to the range.
libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

Post by libertyman777 »

k31user wrote:Mine came in today. Looks good. Nice even lines. Very plain looking(what i wanted), no bells or whistles. Olive stock, black metal, nice extraction cam, very nice trigger. Looking forward to getting a free day to break it in and then head to the range.
How 'bout sum pichers.
Remember............ You're Special, Unique, One of a Kind.............Just like everyone else.................
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

I picked up my brass and dies for the new rifle this past week. It's been a while since I was at a gun shop(probably 3 years or so), and stuff has gone up. Just bought 100 cases and a set of dies. They weren't as much as I figured they would be, around $135 w/tax. I am going to order the powder tomorrow and see how long the wait is for bullets. I'd like to try the 120 and 140 gr Cauterucio's in this rifle, but if he's back ordered too far, I'll start out with some Lapua's. I want to send an email to GAP and see if they know the neck size on their 6.5 reamer(I'll double check it with plug gauges), then I'll check the necks and see how much it'll take to clean them up. Should have the rings by the end of the week, going with my trusty M8-12 Leupold to get the load worked up.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

libertyman777 wrote:Buy used. You can find a deal if you're patient.
If you check out Snipershide.com, you will find some pretty good deals on used rifles.
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
MSTN
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MSTN »

wakerider017 wrote:http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision ... ifles.html

Why SOO expensive?

I add up the cost of the parts and it doesn't equal the 4K price tags. Is their labor really that expensive?
Because they shoot SOO well!

BIGGLEE
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BIGGLEE »

MSTN wrote:

Why SOO expensive?

Details Wes??
"those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither"
MSTN
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MSTN »

BIGGLEE wrote:
MSTN wrote:

Why SOO expensive?

Details Wes??
GAP Hospitaller in .243 Winchester, with the typical Surgeon 591 action and McMillan A5 stock. This one has a Schneider barrel; the current issue I think comes with a Bartlein. Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS with NP-R1 reticle, in Badger rings. Shooting boron nitride coated 115 grain DTAC (an amazing projectile!) over 47.2 grains of RL-25 out of Lapua brass. This rifle was sold to me with only 500 rounds though it, at a very fair price, by a very good friend who instructs at a well-known precision shooting school. Fortunately for me, he had decided to switch to all Accuracy International stocks for his working guns. But all still GAP-built.

Lucky me! Great price, no wait, and exactly what I needed. My patient friend even taught me the rudiments of the arcane art of precision handloading. This ranks as the #1 most successful firearms transaction I've enjoyed.

I've owned "finicky" rifles before. This rifle is the opposite of that. Let's call it "friendly". It doesn't have a different "cold bore" zero than its regular zero. It doesn't shoot differently after the barrel is hot. It doesn't shoot differently after 100 rounds since cleaning through it than it does after 5 rounds since cleaning.

Plus, this rifle in this caliber is very forgiving of shooter's mistakes. And I make my share. If I were to tell you about some groups it has shot, with me at the wheel. you would not believe it. It's the closest thing to a laser I've ever owned.

The barrel is threaded for a suppressor, too. That's the next project.

Good shooting,

Wes Grant
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

Reloading? That's crazy talk. :lol:
I caught hell from several people for ordering my GAP chambered for a cartridge that needs to be reloaded.