Life of a Ranger 2 on a 10.5" Barrel

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

goteron
Silent But Deadly

Life of a Ranger 2 on a 10.5" Barrel

Post by goteron »

So I have been considering getting a ranger 2 as a dedicated can on a 10.5" gun. What would the life be before supression decreased by 8-10db? I am assuming these cannot be rebuilt.
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
Conqueror
Elite Member

Re: Life of a Ranger 2 on a 10.5" Barrel

Post by Conqueror »

Depends to a great extent on your firing schedule. Back to back mag dumps will kill it a lot faster than gentle semi auto use.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

No FA, no "mag dumps" just regular drills, a heavier firing schedule, but not FA.
SAW

Post by SAW »

I would recommend spending an extra $100.00 for the M4-1000 which has a ratchet-type, rather than threaded mount. With the M4-1000 you can use the Blackout T51 MUZZLE BRAKE (don't use the flash suppressor or the combination unit). The muzzle brake will provide you with two additional "sacrificial plates" which will mitigate the blast of burning/unburnt powder, etc., from contacting the suppressor's blast baffle. Using the brake will markedly increase the suppressor life. I use the T51 muzzle brake with an M4-2000 (mod. 8) on an 11.5" POF upper. So far, so good.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

The 51T brake will not interface properly with the M4-1000, which uses spring retention and not the ratchet system. You would need an 18T brake.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
SAW

Post by SAW »

Conqueror wrote:The 51T brake will not interface properly with the M4-1000, which uses spring retention and not the ratchet system. You would need an 18T brake.
Thanks for the correction, Conqueror.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I've got an SPR/ M4 already, I wanted a dedicated can that was as short as possible. Getting rid of the mount simplifies things, and only adds a few inches over a non-suppressed , brake equipped gun.

I think I might actually get a tornado tech stubby to fill this roll though. If I can find one
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

Though it doesn't answer the question regarding "life" of the can, I will say that I'm very happy with my 10.5" Switchblock/Ranger combination.

It is a dedicated can, so I used a little rockset and have never had a problem with it loosening.

I mainly run handloads that are tailored for that SBR. They lose about 100fps over handloads with slower powders for longer barrels, but the faster powders are easier on the silencer.