Lets rag on some silencers.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

GlockBuyer
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Lets rag on some silencers.

Post by GlockBuyer »

So many complaints about the entire Industry.....................so little time.........

1. Nearly all Manufacturers lack detailed information on their products. Some are better than others and many are improving their websites, but very ACCURATE, DETAILED product information is difficult to find - requiring one to search several sources and Internet Forums like this.

2. Few if any Manufacturers offer an easy way to support their Products and the End-User (unless you happen to be Uncle Sam). In other words, let's say I want to suppress my Glock 26 or one of my carbines. I have to buy threaded barrels or modify existing barrels to attach the Silencer. I will probably need to buy different recoil springs or make other modifications to make the gun function correctly. I'll need Subsonic ammo to get the best performance. I'll need a method for cleaning and maintaing my silencer. I may need a Trust or other assistance with Legal issues. I've been studying silencers & NFA weapons for 20 years, so I have the basics figured out. New shooters & prospective buyers are generally stopped by these complications and never buy a silencer. Silencers make all aspects of shooting more fun and productive. This problem gets even worse with most of the Local Dealers.

3. Most Manufacturers have weird and irrational names for their Products. In other words, it is difficult to figure out what is the latest and greatest. Why do they make a new model and delete the old or out-of-production stuff? One can easily see how a particular Car model has changed and improved from year to year. One can easily see how the M16 has evolved from Stoner's original to the current M4's or Glock Gen 1 to Gen 4, but one cannot easily figure out suppressor improvements without doing some serious research.
singtoe
Silent But Deadly

Post by singtoe »

I be serious this time...

I went to a gunshow in Raleigh last weekend and i was quite surprized on how many people were selling NFA stuff. There was one vender who was a complete ass. He said that his company makes the best and quietest suppressors .

http://tacticalsuppressedweapons.com/tsw/index.htm

I looked at them and they were 1" tube 45 suppressors. He made the claim that the Australian Special forces uses them for the most covert operations. He said that they were the quietest on the market.

I amused him and kept the interest going. I told him that i wanted a demo. He said he only gives demo's for people who are ready to buy. I said that i am ready to buy and that i would bring a Tirant 9 and a Evo 45 for comparisons. He then pushed me aside and talked to another person.

What a joke. The sad part is that there are probably people who have not done their research and have been sucked by this company into buying an expensive, loud and messy silencer.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

I just read his webpage..I don't know how else to say this..Holy crap what a complete freaking moron..

How can you go to the trouble of getting a manufacturing license and be clueless..He should at least try and copy something that works like everyone else does.. :evil:
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
JacksonBrowne
Silent But Deadly

Post by JacksonBrowne »

GlockBuyer wrote:So many complaints about the entire Industry.....................so little time.........

1. Nearly all Manufacturers lack detailed information on their products. Some are better than others and many are improving their websites, but very ACCURATE, DETAILED product information is difficult to find - requiring one to search several sources and Internet Forums like this.

2. Few if any Manufacturers offer an easy way to support their Products and the End-User (unless you happen to be Uncle Sam). In other words, let's say I want to suppress my Glock 26 or one of my carbines. I have to buy threaded barrels or modify existing barrels to attach the Silencer. I will probably need to buy different recoil springs or make other modifications to make the gun function correctly. I'll need Subsonic ammo to get the best performance. I'll need a method for cleaning and maintaing my silencer. I may need a Trust or other assistance with Legal issues. I've been studying silencers & NFA weapons for 20 years, so I have the basics figured out. New shooters & prospective buyers are generally stopped by these complications and never buy a silencer. Silencers make all aspects of shooting more fun and productive. This problem gets even worse with most of the Local Dealers.

3. Most Manufacturers have weird and irrational names for their Products. In other words, it is difficult to figure out what is the latest and greatest. Why do they make a new model and delete the old or out-of-production stuff? One can easily see how a particular Car model has changed and improved from year to year. One can easily see how the M16 has evolved from Stoner's original to the current M4's or Glock Gen 1 to Gen 4, but one cannot easily figure out suppressor improvements without doing some serious research.

I can't say that I agree with any of this. I think a competent person could have the basics figured out and be up and running with a quality silencer on the way in a week, tops. It isn't that hard to sort the BS out. Also, don't confuse your complaints about the industry with complaints about the laws which govern it.
07/02 SOT
BigDave@SMDW,LLC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BigDave@SMDW,LLC »

Chondro wrote:I just read his webpage..I don't know how else to say this..Holy crap what a complete freaking moron..

How can you go to the trouble of getting a manufacturing license and be clueless..He should at least try and copy something that works like everyone else does.. :evil:
To me it looks like be copied the trade dress of my portal pages and then knocked off the way we build our integrals....

I love the 45 can. Somebody get one and bring it by, we will meter it and see how scary it is...he does say that it is strictly a wet can though. I want to meter that uber cool aluminum 22 can too. ;)

Dave
http://www.libertycans.net

Dean of "LSU" Liberty Suppressors Underground
Ctaylor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ctaylor »

singtoe wrote:I be serious this time...

I went to a gunshow in Raleigh last weekend and i was quite surprized on how many people were selling NFA stuff. There was one vender who was a complete ass. He said that his company makes the best and quietest suppressors .

http://tacticalsuppressedweapons.com/tsw/index.htm

I looked at them and they were 1" tube 45 suppressors. He made the claim that the Australian Special forces uses them for the most covert operations. He said that they were the quietest on the market.

I amused him and kept the interest going. I told him that i wanted a demo. He said he only gives demo's for people who are ready to buy. I said that i am ready to buy and that i would bring a Tirant 9 and a Evo 45 for comparisons. He then pushed me aside and talked to another person.

What a joke. The sad part is that there are probably people who have not done their research and have been sucked by this company into buying an expensive, loud and messy silencer.
A couple of months ago a friend of my dad who he bird hunts a lot with gave me this card and told me he was thinking about getting a 5.56 suppressor from this guy as his first one. Not being familiar with the company I immediately went to his webpage on my iPhone. As soon as I saw the prices and photos I told him to steer clear of this guy and stick with a major manufacturer who's product photos didn't look like they were taking in someone's back yard. Seriously he has ONE 5.56 model that sells for anywhere from 1.2k to 1.3k depending one which adaptor you buy from him. I immediately sent him here, silencerresearch, AAC's website, and Major Malfunctions site. As soon as he saw what else was out there he was really surprised.
mymechanic

Post by mymechanic »

hey guys chad from tactical suppressed weapons, we would LOVE to compare our tubes to any tubes you guys bring out. my number is 919-524-2488. give me a call. we actually own the patent (actually the utility patent) for the one piece insert. look it up. so if you are using it, you are stealing! so yes, so what if we cant afford to sue you. go ahead. the offer stands, we will shoot with anyone against any can, there will be some quieter, some smaller some better some not. you cant win them all. that does not mean we cant learn and improve! call me! we would love the opportunity, i bet we would even change some of your minds!
chad
919-524-2488
[email protected]
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

mymechanic wrote:hey guys chad from tactical suppressed weapons, we would LOVE to compare our tubes to any tubes you guys bring out. my number is 919-524-2488. give me a call. we actually own the patent (actually the utility patent) for the one piece insert. look it up. so if you are using it, you are stealing! so yes, so what if we cant afford to sue you. go ahead. the offer stands, we will shoot with anyone against any can, there will be some quieter, some smaller some better some not. you cant win them all. that does not mean we cant learn and improve! call me! we would love the opportunity, i bet we would even change some of your minds!
chad
919-524-2488
[email protected]
Come on out Chad, you'll be able to compare your stuff to almost every manufacturer out there: http://www.advanced-armament.com/silencershoot/

Email [email protected] for a prospectus and info about demos/vendors, etc.

Hope to see you there!
Kick Ass Design
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

mymechanic wrote:hey guys chad from tactical suppressed weapons, we would LOVE to compare our tubes to any tubes you guys bring out. my number is 919-524-2488. give me a call. we actually own the patent (actually the utility patent) for the one piece insert. look it up. so if you are using it, you are stealing! so yes, so what if we cant afford to sue you. go ahead. the offer stands, we will shoot with anyone against any can, there will be some quieter, some smaller some better some not. you cant win them all. that does not mean we cant learn and improve! call me! we would love the opportunity, i bet we would even change some of your minds!
chad
919-524-2488
[email protected]

What is the patent number?
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
BigDave@SMDW,LLC
Silent But Deadly

mpallett wrote:
chad
919-524-2488
[email protected]

What is the patent number?
This....

Edited to add: Liberty and SWR will both be at the AAC Silencer Shoot.... I will bring my 2209 if you want...

smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

Shame on you three for ganging up on that poor, deranged fellow.
solitary.phoenix
Silent But Deadly

Post by solitary.phoenix »

Everyone wants to "make it".

I respect the man for having the guts to try something that I probably would never do.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

This may seem unrelated but it's not.

I love this forum because, even though it is the most lightly moderated forum I've ever joined, BS just will not stand. There is no need for a moderator to lock or remove a thread when the community itself is so well informed and principled that it demands independently verifiable proof.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
BigDave@SMDW,LLC
Silent But Deadly

smcharchan wrote:Shame on you three for ganging up on that poor, deranged fellow.
I was mearly offering a venue for him to meet up with us so we could accept his offer...

Who is this referring to?

Dave

Edited to add: I have seen these patents before. These are the ones that RS made the comments about getting a patent on a machine operation. Can't cross drill your core as it is patented.
Last edited by BigDave@SMDW,LLC on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

mymechanic

Post by mymechanic »

and still no one has called? we will be at the nasc with the safartec team march 20-25 come on out! no one has taken me up on my offer? lets go shoot, we will bring the meter you bring your cans i will bring mine, i am sure some will sound better, but some won't lets see?
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

Hey, Chad from TSW where you in Indiana about 5 or 6 years ago selling some of your product to a gun shop in Cicero close to Nobles-ville IN . If I think real hard it was a ultra small 9mm wet can. The baffles looked like ruffles potato chips { NOT BEING FUNNY OR DISRESPECTFUL}. I have not seen them since. Just wondered. If this is not you, just disregard.
mymechanic

Post by mymechanic »

sounds similar but was not me, may have been another salesman. our cans are pretty respectable dry, though and (i cant remember who) but someone makes an even smaller 9mm can, if i remember correctly it looked like a pill, like a gelcap but a larger, a wet can that supposedly worked pretty well.
after reading the text i cant find the utility patent, so i may have been lied to or it has expired or i simply cannot find it. but here you go as far as the other ones, someone stated why dont we use a design that works? we invented it. look at the dates on the patents. my number is 919-524-2488, i am in nc. we can shoot anywhere around raleigh area, almost anytime. we have a meter and never said ours was the best, and never denied someone the opportunity to try before you buy! we would love to compare but no more time for this bs here are some patenet numbers - enjoy!
D435,623
Last edited by mymechanic on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

I apologize for my last post DISREGARD !!!! It was STW that made the suppressor that I was thinking of , but the two company's are similar. STW ,TSW sorry for the confusion.

As we are supposed to be complaining on this topic I will say I am disappointed I was unable to destroy a ELEMENT .22 suppressor this weekend. I ran 1000 rds of belt's of 22 ammo thru the belt-fed m16. No burnt paint no destruction of any kind. Well I will have to try harder next time. LOL
mymechanic

Post by mymechanic »

the 2 companies used to be one, the machinist and designer left and started tsw, the salesman stayed and continued with stw, that is why you see 2 names on the patents. thank you!
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

That's why ahhhhh ha! Well as for the STW M9 it works well for a tiny wet{and I mean VERY wet} suppressor for 2 to 10 shots. I like my NANO AND POSEIDON better but the M9 is ok ,and I have a very old one. That is why the designs look so similar. So am I to understand that you retained the intellectual property and patents from STW? Or due you pay them royalties? They have very similar products and the write-up's on your web site mirror some of the stats on there's.
mymechanic

Post by mymechanic »

the owner of tsw owns the same patents, now he has changed everything and made what we think to be improvements, but that is why, no royalties paid because all but one design is changed and owners name is on the patents. would you like to shoot sometime? let me know, we can show you our newer stuff and then you can tell us what you think.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

I will give any can a chance. If I don't like it, I will tell you or any company so and will air it on line. But, I can say I have two suppressors that are less effective and old. I think those will be taken care of via Liberty suppressor company. And then I will report. As far as your can, I would have to hear one before I buy. I no longer buy on hearsay and speculation.
mymechanic

Post by mymechanic »

when do you want to get together, call me