Barnes 110 gr copper - how are these shooting?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

curious sam
Silent But Deadly

Barnes 110 gr copper - how are these shooting?

Post by curious sam »

Now that these have been in circulation for a while -

http://barnesbullets.myshopify.com/prod ... n-tac-x-fb

How are they grouping on paper/performing on game?

Thinking about loading up a few hundred but curious to know what results others are seeing first.
curious sam
Silent But Deadly

Re: Barnes 110 gr copper - how are these shooting?

Post by curious sam »

:?

No one has played with these??

Would love to know velocity from 9" and 16".
da bugman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by da bugman »

I have shoot 14 large Plains game with the tsx in 375 and 416 dia, they work well and were 1/2moa bullets out to 400 yards. I do not think they will expand well at 2000 fps or on thin skin game. I may be wrong, thats my best guess. I only recovered one round on a ELAND it was found under the skin on the off side after 4 foot of penitration. It looked like the bullet in the barnes add.

JD
curious sam
Silent But Deadly

Post by curious sam »

The bullet in the link is specially designed for expansion out of a 300 BLK, within the range of 1500-2200.

I know barnes in general are good bullets - just curious as to the specific performance of these 110 grs as far as expansion, velocity, and accuracy.
da bugman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by da bugman »

Sam

I though I new the whole barnes line.

Given the great success I have had with the tsx in africia I will give them a try, should be a great deer and pig round. It it works like the tsx the petals will fold back in soft tissue and cut their way through, If something hard is struck they wll break off and and a wad cutter like shank will continue on. I shot a eland with 416 quartered away, it entered the last rib exitedthe off shoulder blade and was found under the skin. It started walking to me, I held on the shoulder joint to break it down, the petals broke off and I got a complete pass through , 5 foot of straight line penitration. It was a 1/2 moa bullet out to 400 yards in a rem 416 mag. Barnes products are as good as it gets for true hunting bullets.

JD
1911man

Post by 1911man »

Good luck getting these to shoot good in a BLK chamber, best I can get is 3" or so. Your best bet is the 130gr TTSX which is long enough that you can get it reasonable close to the lands and they shoot OK, especially in 1-10 twist.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

It does seem like the 130 is more accurate than the 110, however, I don't think it has anything to do with the BLK chamber. 110 grain Sierra and Berger bullets shoot very well in the BLK chamber.
curious sam
Silent But Deadly

Post by curious sam »

Interesting, in that this 110 should be longer than the 110 options that have a lead core.

I will have to find out the hard way, I suppose :)
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

1911man wrote:Good luck getting these to shoot good in a BLK chamber, best I can get is 3" or so. Your best bet is the 130gr TTSX which is long enough that you can get it reasonable close to the lands and they shoot OK, especially in 1-10 twist.
They don't shoot worth a damn in my guns either.
curious sam
Silent But Deadly

Post by curious sam »

Anyone have a few extras they want to sell me on the cheap :mrgreen:

I'll see if I can make they do anything special...
cconn

Post by cconn »

I just received 3 boxes of these 110 Grain TAC-X SBR bullets. Now if I can find some load data. Not in quickload so I may have to use the regular 110 TAC-X data and just back off a little.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The bullets are the same size and weight, so the load data would be the same.
I8asquirrel
Senior Silent Operator

Post by I8asquirrel »

I have started playing with The Lapua 100 gr HPce ( hollow point cutting edge) and My AR .300wtf seems to like them. I have shot alot of Hornady 110 V max through it with good luck...I Like Barnes bullets for Hunting they alway expand nicely but retain their weight. But I have never shot a group with a barnes bullet that made excited. They shoot well, but not great out of any of my rifles! Just my 2 cents.
cconn

Post by cconn »

silencertalk wrote:The bullets are the same size and weight, so the load data would be the same.
thanks, I didn't have any of the regular TAC-X to compare to, I know they are shorter than the 110 grain TTSX.