$390 for a Ruger 22/45?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

$390 for a Ruger 22/45?

Post by gixxerbill »

A gun dealer in Corpus just called me and said he had two in stock for $390ea. I need another pistol like a hole in the head (bought alot of guns when buckwheat got elected). :|

Is it really one of the best 22 pistols around? Does it jam much compared to a beretta neos that I bought my daughter that I use sometime but it isn't threaded. Its a funky looking gun but hardly ever jams and is pretty accurate.

I have a yhm phantom that I could screw on the end of the threads on the 22/45. But it is a little heavy for a 22 pistol but I ain't going to be using it much other than shooting varmints in my backyard. But I also learned(from here) that if you shoot much 22 through the phantom you have to shoot some 223 through it to clean it out since it doesn't come apart. I am also going to need to put a cheap red dot on it to aim since the phantom is pretty big. what would you suggest for that?

I am afraid that I am going to want a 22 suppressor but I talked to Silencerco a couple weeks back and they have like a 8 month backlog on the sparrow which is a long time to wait on top of the ATF wait.

Thoughts?
ducati
Senior Silent Operator

Re: $390 for a Ruger 22/45?

Post by ducati »

Keep shopping.

My 22/45 was 240 at a gun show last year.
I think you can find the new threaded version for under 300 if you're patient.

I don't know how prices are affected by region, but that's the deal here in GA.
FJagr

Post by FJagr »

Hell, I just did a quick search on gunbroker and found one with threaded barrel and upper/lower picatinney rails for $315...only $20 for shipping....

Search around, they're everywhere....

And yes, I think they are wonderful little plinkers. Mine is incredibly accurate and I can't honestly recall the last malfunction I had with it.
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

FJagr wrote:Hell, I just did a quick search on gunbroker and found one with threaded barrel and upper/lower picatinney rails for $315...only $20 for shipping....

Search around, they're everywhere....

And yes, I think they are wonderful little plinkers. Mine is incredibly accurate and I can't honestly recall the last malfunction I had with it.
but if I ordered that from gunbroker wouldn't the dealer here get a $35 fee too?
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

also will subsonic 22lr cycle through this gun suppressed? or will it jam alot?
sgtsmmiii

Post by sgtsmmiii »

Got mine from Buds' for $322 + tax ( I think it was $341.00 overall ). Mine is the picatinney rail version. Added a Burris Fastfire and Silencerco .22 Sparrow. Never malfunctioned. Also, mine has a nice trigger pull. Great little gun.
kscarrington

Post by kscarrington »

sgtsmmiii wrote:Got mine from Buds' for $322 + tax ( I think it was $341.00 overall ). Mine is the picatinney rail version. Added a Burris Fastfire and Silencerco .22 Sparrow. Never malfunctioned. Also, mine has a nice trigger pull. Great little gun.
+1. $326 from Bud's shipped with insurance. I ordered the fixed sight version, and purchased the rail to mount on top. I'm waiting for the Leupold optic to ship and mount on top.
GoingQuiet
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoingQuiet »

gixxerbill wrote:A gun dealer in Corpus just called me and said he had two in stock for $390ea. I need another pistol like a hole in the head (bought alot of guns when buckwheat got elected). :|

Is it really one of the best 22 pistols around? Does it jam much compared to a beretta neos that I bought my daughter that I use sometime but it isn't threaded. Its a funky looking gun but hardly ever jams and is pretty accurate.

I have a yhm phantom that I could screw on the end of the threads on the 22/45. But it is a little heavy for a 22 pistol but I ain't going to be using it much other than shooting varmints in my backyard. But I also learned(from here) that if you shoot much 22 through the phantom you have to shoot some 223 through it to clean it out since it doesn't come apart. I am also going to need to put a cheap red dot on it to aim since the phantom is pretty big. what would you suggest for that?

I am afraid that I am going to want a 22 suppressor but I talked to Silencerco a couple weeks back and they have like a 8 month backlog on the sparrow which is a long time to wait on top of the ATF wait.

Thoughts?
$390 + threading = EXPENSIVE.

The threaded 22/45's can be found a lot cheaper than that. I've been doing 22/45s with threads from the factory at $325-350 depending on my mood.

Yes, there is an 8 month backlog - but any Silencerco Distributor such as myself or others on this board should have SS sparrows available. I book orders for sparrows months ahead of time as do all the other distributors so we get product on a more consistent basis. I had 20+ sparrows clear on Form 3 just last week so I'm a happy guy.
GoingQuiet.com
07 FFL / 02 SOT
Melbourne, FL
NFA Sales & Transfers, Silencerco Stocking Distributor, AAC, SigSauer, Gemtech, Rock River Arms Stocking Dealer
[email protected]
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

just to clarify the 390 one has threads. so you have a sparrow in stock? how much hastle is selling to somoone like me in TEXAS?
LYNRDSKYNRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by LYNRDSKYNRD »

gixxerbill wrote:also will subsonic 22lr cycle through this gun suppressed? or will it jam alot?
It's my understanding that don't need subsonic ammo as long as the barrel is less than 5.5" you can use bulk box ammo and be subsonic.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

LYNRDSKYNRD wrote:
gixxerbill wrote:also will subsonic 22lr cycle through this gun suppressed? or will it jam alot?
It's my understanding that don't need subsonic ammo as long as the barrel is less than 5.5" you can use bulk box ammo and be subsonic.
hmm did not know that. Will the bulk box ammo jam with a suppressor on it? (it does with my 9mm beretta for some reason with even non suppressed ammo)
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

A local shop near me has a new 22/45 threaded with fixed sights for $369. The owner is a good guy and I bet I could negotiate down to $340 before tax and $10 state backround fee. Definitely thinking about it.
GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlocksInMySocks »

I bought a new threaded 22/45 for $305 last night. Pretty sure I saw them on Bud's for like $315, but they sold out. So keep looking.

Keep in mind though, you're going to have to pay shipping (about $35) and a ffl transfer fee ($10ish) if you buy offline.
Don't be an internet tough guy...
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

GlocksInMySocks wrote:I bought a new threaded 22/45 for $305 last night. Pretty sure I saw them on Bud's for like $315, but they sold out. So keep looking.

Keep in mind though, you're going to have to pay shipping (about $35) and a ffl transfer fee ($10ish) if you buy offline.
man, ya'll must have better gun shops than I do around south texas. first NO PLACE has the 22/45 threaded besides this shop in Corpus. plus the shops I called said they would not recommend the 22/45 because it is too hard to clean. is that true?
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

gixxerbill wrote:
GlocksInMySocks wrote:I bought a new threaded 22/45 for $305 last night. Pretty sure I saw them on Bud's for like $315, but they sold out. So keep looking.

man, ya'll must have better gun shops than I do around south texas. first NO PLACE has the 22/45 threaded besides this shop in Corpus. plus the shops I called said they would not recommend the 22/45 because it is too hard to clean. is that true?
Greeat guns. Especially the factory-threaded one.

They run awesome and don't need to be cleaned much.
The barrel is short enough to keep pretty much all ammo subsonic.

They can be tricky to take apart /put back together when they are new, because all the parts are tight. Follow the instructions that come with them and it is not hard at all.

What model does your dealer have at $390?

They should be able to get you a pre-threaded factory one for at most $350.
Kick Ass Design
GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlocksInMySocks »

gixxerbill wrote: man, ya'll must have better gun shops than I do around south texas. first NO PLACE has the 22/45 threaded besides this shop in Corpus.
Ha, the gun came from Texas. It just helps to have a good college buddy with a FFL.
Don't be an internet tough guy...
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

JasonAAC wrote:
gixxerbill wrote:

Greeat guns. Especially the factory-threaded one.

They run awesome and don't need to be cleaned much.
The barrel is short enough to keep pretty much all ammo subsonic.

They can be tricky to take apart /put back together when they are new, because all the parts are tight. Follow the instructions that come with them and it is not hard at all.

What model does your dealer have at $390?

They should be able to get you a pre-threaded factory one for at most $350.
its prethreaded from factory but no rails 4.5 inch barrel.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

gixxerbill wrote: its prethreaded from factory but no rails 4.5 inch barrel.
At the gun show here a couple of weekends ago, those were selling for $319 - $350.
There were no less than 4 or 5 vendors that I saw selling them.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I paid $305 for mine a week ago from a local dealer.....+tax 323.30 out the door
GoingQuiet
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoingQuiet »

gixxerbill wrote:just to clarify the 390 one has threads. so you have a sparrow in stock? how much hastle is selling to somoone like me in TEXAS?
Oh, well in that case then it's priced near MSRP but still a bit higher than I'd like to see it but it's within the realm of retail as list on the gun is 425.

Its not a hassle, I ship everywhere all the time.
gixxerbill wrote:

There were PLENTY of them a month ago, I mean HUNDREDS. Now they're out of stock but my vendors get them regularly. There is a rather intricate way of putting the gun back together but it can be done easily with practice. There's a few youtube videos out there.
LYNRDSKYNRD wrote:
This has been my experience as well. There's not enough barrel real estate for the bullet to achieve supersonic speed. My "It is a car analogy" is if if you imagine an NHRA dragstrip that was 200 feet, you wouldn't get very fast quickly.
GoingQuiet.com
07 FFL / 02 SOT
Melbourne, FL
NFA Sales & Transfers, Silencerco Stocking Distributor, AAC, SigSauer, Gemtech, Rock River Arms Stocking Dealer
[email protected]
wragarand
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wragarand »

I paid $300 out the door for mine a month ago. $390 is awfully high considering dealer cost is $275
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

thanks for the responses I guess i will wait till the next gun show to see what I can get it for.
JesterODX

Post by JesterODX »

Good luck with the gun show. I thought I was gonna find some deals this past weekend. I got fooled. Only deals were on ammo. I screwed up not buying more 9 mil. I found only one dealer that had prices better than my local shop. Everyone else was appearently out of their dang minds. Prices were just plain stupid.

This is just my advice, but hit the old google search. Search for gun shops, FFL dealers, so forth in your area (city or county). It took me six shops before I found one with really good prices. Its in the same county at least. Now finding a class III dealer is another story round here. Bare minimum two counties. But were gonna see what they got in stock in a couple weeks.

Anyway, I checked out the 22/45 at the gun show. Heavier then I thought it would be. But I'll be adding one to my collection after we get a can. The 10/22 got in line first.
JesterODX