FN PS90

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Cooper
Silent Operator

FN PS90

Post by Cooper »

At my local cop shop the guy there has two used gen 1 ps90 for 4 grand each. He said that you can legally auto convert them where you can't on the new model. I don't know anything on these weapons, please advise. He also said that the price on the gen 1 versions are going up and that they could be a good investment to buy now and sell in the future. Does anyone know if this is bs or what?
lafsnguy
Silent But Deadly

Re: FN PS90

Post by lafsnguy »

He is feeding you a line of bull no way would I pay 4k for a gen 1 ps90. The only difference between the gen 1 and the newer models is there is an auto sear in the gen one that you would need for full auto. However the only legal way to convert them is if you have your sot. So unless you do dont even think about it. All that is is a ticket to federal pound me in the ass prison. Some people are willing to pay more for the gen 1 ps90s but not that much more.
Cooper
Silent Operator

Post by Cooper »

after a couple of hours of looking online that's all I could find too. unless you were a dealer and you got a dealer sample of the auto sear it's a basic waste of money.
generaldisarray
Silent But Deadly

Post by generaldisarray »

Waste of money until civilization collapses and/or zombies roam the streets. :mrgreen:
The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin, Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd..... Jules Winnfield
Veritas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Veritas »

lafsnguy wrote:He is feeding you a line of bull no way would I pay 4k for a gen 1 ps90. The only difference between the gen 1 and the newer models is there is an auto sear in the gen one that you would need for full auto. However the only legal way to convert them is if you have your sot. So unless you do dont even think about it. All that is is a ticket to federal pound me in the ass prison. Some people are willing to pay more for the gen 1 ps90s but not that much more.
Nail on the head.

The Gen 1 and Gen 2 have a front safety sear which also serves as the full auto sear in the P90. FNH was asked to change the trigger pack because of this and they have. A Gen 1 is no harder to convert to FA than any other, a determined person can do it with any of the trigger packs.

It is a sales tactic your dealer is exploiting VERY poorly. A gen 1 PS90 trigger pack is worth maybe $400 more than a gen 3(current) pack. The only people willing to pay that price are collectors.

DO NOT BUY a PS90 from the dealer you are talking to. If you do go back have him pull out one of the trigger packs and if they are Gen1 they will be SOLID Black/ODGreen. No gray at all, if the pack is gray and the hammer is black then it is a Gen 2.

I would tell this dealer to go and get BENT! I highly recommend buying a ps90, but the current prices are $1300 for a USG and $1560 for a Triple Rail.

Pure BullShit on your dealers part!

Hope that helps :wink:
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Don't buy anything from that dealer. He's either outright lying, or terribly uneducated in firearms law. Neither is a good quality in a dealer.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Now I'm quite curious. How does one tell the difference in trigger packs? What dates were they made? I bought mine fairly shortly after they introduced the black stock, in 06 or 07.
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
generaldisarray
Silent But Deadly

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin, Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd..... Jules Winnfield
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

That didn't actually help. :lol:

EDIT: After some digging, it seems that all PS90s have the same pack. That explains why I couldn't see a difference in the pictures...

Anyway, looking at the trigger pack, it seems it would take about 15 seconds to safely convert this to full-auto. It's very similar in principle to full-auto AKs and M16s. Neat. Scary how things like this never bug the BATFE enough to ban them...

EDIT: Yep, "A" is an auto-sear, there's a trip on the underside of the bolt, simply moving one spring on the disconnector C would mean that holding the trigger down would keep the hammer unlocked from the sear D, and when the bolt closes, the trip would move A out of the way, releasing the hammer.

Goddamn.

How did the BATFE miss this? :shock:
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Who cares - FA just wastes ammo. Lower hit probability = less dangerous to the target.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Oh, agreed. It's just amusing that to convert a PS90 is about on-par with converting a semi-auto open-bolt in terms of difficulty. Not something I expected. I expected the removal of the trip, auto sear, etc., like on semi-auto AR15 and AK clones. :)
FNP90

Post by FNP90 »

I doubt that most people if permitted would purchase full autos. The appeal for most now is that its forbidden fruit.

I would be interested to see the number of assualt weapons manufactured and imported prior to 1986 versus the number of machine guns. I dont think that machine guns held much general appeal before the ban.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

The internet, the knowledge that they're legal, changed that. Same for silencers - they're super popular and trending up because people now know they can own them. I'd still wager that if 922(o) went away, many people would get/convert something just for the novelty. Why SBR if you can just make it into an MG? :)
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

silencertalk wrote:Who cares - FA just wastes ammo. Lower hit probability = less dangerous to the target.
FA is the best part of the 5.7x28 cartridge.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I would pay quite a bit for a civilian legal select fire P90.

You let me worry about being a waste of ammo.
-----
Ick
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

Is that true?

So was it the FS2000 that had the the Safety Sear removed then?
PTK wrote:That didn't actually help. :lol:

EDIT: After some digging, it seems that all PS90s have the same pack. That explains why I couldn't see a difference in the pictures...

Anyway, looking at the trigger pack, it seems it would take about 15 seconds to safely convert this to full-auto. It's very similar in principle to full-auto AKs and M16s. Neat. Scary how things like this never bug the BATFE enough to ban them...

EDIT: Yep, "A" is an auto-sear, there's a trip on the underside of the bolt, simply moving one spring on the disconnector C would mean that holding the trigger down would keep the hammer unlocked from the sear D, and when the bolt closes, the trip would move A out of the way, releasing the hammer.

Goddamn.

How did the BATFE miss this? :shock:
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

It is 100% true. I just checked 2011 production PS90s locally, they've all got the sear.

FS2000, I only saw the early ones - they had the sear, as well. I understand that the later ones do not.
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

Got-ya.

Thank you

I post sampled a PS90 and she runs great. Doing the same with an FS2000.

Both are early models though.

I thought FN pulled the safety sear on both the PS90 and the FS2000.

Good to know.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Nope, it seems that the early (black) and later (gray) trigger packs are identical. See the picture a few posts above, too. The auto-sear is blatantly obvious.

PERFECTLY simple to turn into a post-sample, though if you were to do that, I'd remove the entire semi-auto disconnector and just use FA exclusively. With the sear, it'll be safe.

From what I've heard/seen recently, FS2000 did indeed have the sear removed because of how easy they were to convert.
Veritas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Veritas »

mk23 wrote:I thought FN pulled the safety sear on both the PS90 and the FS2000.
They did on the FS2000. They have just now started that process on the FS2000 and soon the same thing will happen to the PS90. FN is using the parts they have currently and once they run out of the "old" parts the new ones will replace them. These new ones will not have the front safety/full auto sear.

I know for a fact they removed the front sear on the FS2000.

There are currently 4 generations of ps90 trigger packs

Gen 1 - All Black (or OD in color)
Gen 2 - Gray body, black hammer
Gen 3 - Gray body, gray hammer
Gen 4 - All Gray, these are the newest ones and supposedly they will not have the front safety sear
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

The black hammer is the magic.
The grey hammer has a different cut for that front sear catch.
lafsnguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by lafsnguy »

okent wrote:The black hammer is the magic.
The grey hammer has a different cut for that front sear catch.
That was my understanding as well something to do with the notch on the grey hammer being higher up that would prevent it from hitting with enough force to fire the round. I have never seen a pack with a grey hammer but that is how I understood it.
generaldisarray
Silent But Deadly

For a Postie
I would do it the way FN did it.
Mod the disconnector
Mod the safety selector
the fa position of the safety allows the trigger to move rearward further than for semi.
This cams the fa or modded disconnector out of position so it cannot catch the hammer.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

generaldisarray wrote:For a Postie
I would do it the way FN did it.
Mod the disconnector
Mod the safety selector
the fa position of the safety allows the trigger to move rearward further than for semi.
This cams the fa or modded disconnector out of position so it cannot catch the hammer.
Kind of a PITA to work on that plastic, it looks very flimsy already.
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

The easiest way is to make an autosear.
Extremely easy as long as you have the black hammer pack and completely reversible.
You could modify the safety selector but it's not necessary, but it would be cool. 8)