AK in 300 BLK?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Smilodon
Silent But Deadly

AK in 300 BLK?

Post by Smilodon »

I'm gonna do it. I figure a .223 Saiga should be a good starting point. What say you? I'm thinking I'll use 100 series FSGB for my AAC krink. An E.German unvented gas tube should help. Any other thoughts? Leaving for the Creek tomorrow, hope to find some of the stuff I'll need there. :twisted:
www.sabrewerks.com
[email protected]
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: AK in 300 BLK?

Post by Bendersquint »

Smilodon wrote:I'm gonna do it. I figure a .223 Saiga should be a good starting point. What say you? I'm thinking I'll use 100 series FSGB for my AAC krink. An E.German unvented gas tube should help. Any other thoughts? Leaving for the Creek tomorrow, hope to find some of the stuff I'll need there. :twisted:
Good luck with this project, look forward to seeing if this works, that could be a cool AK. My guess is there will be problems with the extraction/ejection phase.

Hmmmmm

-B
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

The ejection ports may still be a bit loud unless you weld them, but other than that I think it sounds cool. I would also like to try some sub-sonic rounds in 7.62x39.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
jdj
Elite Member

Post by jdj »

no offense, I like the AK design...but Why, why, WHY? Heaver, louder, and less accurate than an AR - the BLK/whisper was designed for the AR platform.

Having said that, sounds like a great project :lol:
"I regard virginity as a correctible perversity of no interest" - Lazarus Long (Time Enough for Love), Robert A. Heinlein
Smilodon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smilodon »

jdj wrote:no offense, I like the AK design...but Why, why, WHY? Heaver, louder, and less accurate than an AR - the BLK/whisper was designed for the AR platform.

Because I don't like DI guns and I can. :lol: :twisted:

I'll have the Saiga next weekend, the AK105 gasblock is on the way from KVAR and picked up 12 Bulgarian 5.56 waffle mags at the Creek. Even got to see my Krink can....thanks Richard!

Now, I just need to figure out the barrel..... :)
www.sabrewerks.com
[email protected]
Nighthawk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nighthawk »

If you used a Yugo M95 you would have a gas adjustment that might help.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Smilodon wrote:
jdj wrote:no offense, I like the AK design...but Why, why, WHY? Heaver, louder, and less accurate than an AR - the BLK/whisper was designed for the AR platform.

Because I don't like DI guns and I can. :lol: :twisted:

I'll have the Saiga next weekend, the AK105 gasblock is on the way from KVAR and picked up 12 Bulgarian 5.56 waffle mags at the Creek. Even got to see my Krink can....thanks Richard!

Now, I just need to figure out the barrel..... :)
I am going to try and get ahold of a 223SAIGA and remove barrel and replace with a 300BLK barrel and see how it works! Will let you how it turns out!

-B
Smilodon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smilodon »

Do you have source for said barrel? That's all I'm missing at this point?
www.sabrewerks.com
[email protected]
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

This may be a dumb question, but what do you hope to gain from 300 BLK that 7.62x39 doesn't do? I've successfully loaded 180gr .311" bullets subsonic in an AK and they not only fit in the mag, they cycle just fine.
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

PTK wrote:This may be a dumb question, but what do you hope to gain from 300 BLK that 7.62x39 doesn't do? I've successfully loaded 180gr .311" bullets subsonic in an AK and they not only fit in the mag, they cycle just fine.
Recipe please......and as far as the rest of it.....maybe because we want to? It doesn't have to pose a phenomenal tactical advantage or anything of the sort to spark development.

The same questions can be posed for the 300BLKvs 7.62x39. What is gained by the 300BLK.

-B
Smilodon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smilodon »

Yes, recipe would be much appreciated..... I do have several "normal" AKs. 8)
www.sabrewerks.com
[email protected]
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Sorry, I missed these two requests. I'll dig out the MTM boxes and type up both that data and the recipe from the logbook I keep. :)

Expect the recipe on here sometime this week, but do note that it comes with the standard disclaimers, such as ST isn't responsible, nor am I, for any damage to property or persons resulting from loading with the data. :wink:

EDIT: Found my logbook a lot quicker than I thought I would. Here you go...

174gr Interlock Hornady RNSP or 180gr Core-Lokt Remington RNSP and I worked up to Red Dot 6.0gr for ~930 fps out of a 16.3" barreled AK. It DOES NOT cycle the action, obviously. Funny enough, I originally came across the load for this on a forum years ago and tweaked it to my liking. :D

For some reading on the inherent dangers of these sort of loads, here's a good bit of reading on the subject. Be safe and enjoy.
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

See the medal he pinned on me? It was because I made an AK in 300 AAC BLACKOUT.

chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

silencertalk wrote:See the medal he pinned on me? It was because I made an AK in 300 AAC BLACKOUT.
:lol:!!! Hilarious!
Smilodon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smilodon »

Nice!!!
www.sabrewerks.com
[email protected]
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

is that pic for real or photoshopped? that is bad to the bone?
its quiet time!
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

Bendersquint wrote:What is gained by the 300BLK.-B
It feeds reliably in the AR platform?
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

DesertRat wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:What is gained by the 300BLK.-B
It feeds reliably in the AR platform?
As does a converted AR to 7.62x39
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

Bendersquint wrote:As does a converted AR to 7.62x39
No, not really. The tapered case of the 7.62X39 doesn't lend itself to being forced through the straight, deep mag well of the AR pattern rifles. There's a reason that the AK mag has that constant curve.

I know Colt built AR's in that chambering for a couple of years, as did a couple of other companies. Colt doesn't make them anymore and neither do any other top tier manufacturers. There's a reason for that.

I know that some people have gotten them to run, but I see those as range toys, not something that I would ever consider reliable enough for defensive purposes. I'm obviously not the only one.

If a 7.62X39 AR was a viable proposition, LMT, Noveske and others would be making them and someone other C Products would be making mags.

300 BLK exists for a reason.
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

DesertRat wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:As does a converted AR to 7.62x39
No, not really. The tapered case of the 7.62X39 doesn't lend itself to being forced through the straight, deep mag well of the AR pattern rifles. There's a reason that the AK mag has that constant curve.

I know Colt built AR's in that chambering for a couple of years, as did a couple of other companies. Colt doesn't make them anymore and neither do any other top tier manufacturers. There's a reason for that.

I know that some people have gotten them to run, but I see those as range toys, not something that I would ever consider reliable enough for defensive purposes. I'm obviously not the only one.

If a 7.62X39 AR was a viable proposition, LMT, Noveske and others would be making them and someone other C Products would be making mags.

300 BLK exists for a reason.
I have shot the 7.62x39 in AR's with no problem, none at all and have several customers that use it as well with no issues. Most companies stopped making it due to the surplus ammo not being so surplus anymore unless they made up the reason to cover up reliability issues.

Basing whether or not its viable because a couple manufacturers don't make it doesn't make sense. When it was produced it was fine, there is a reason they sold so many barrels and why they made it as long as they did. If it wasn't reliable they wouldn't have marketed it and sold as many as they did.

300BLK exists because the military asked for it, the concept has been around for years and years and years in various incantations and all the manufacturers never touched it until it went SAAMI and was backed because of the military request. If Remington didn't push it through SAAMI and the military didn't ask for it it would still be 300Whisper(TM) or 300-221. All those shops could have ran with the 300-221 if they wanted but noone was doing it; it wasn't popular and there was no bandwagon to hop on. Alot more of this industry runs on whether or not a buck can be made over the reliability or viability of said product.

It's a more ideal cartridge for the AR platforms(300BLK) because there is less work needed to get it to run right.

I am just blown away at how many people are head over heals for this cartridge when noone seemed to care much while it was a Whisper(TM). I never thought it would gain the following it has since the concept and the original cartridge has been around for awhile.

95% of the guns anyone talks about here are range toys, and nothing more. The possibility of unreliability for the cartridge drives you away from it.....so don't buy one then. My experience is that it is reliable and I would defend the homestead with the ones I have shot.
jasonixo

Post by jasonixo »

The popularity boomed for it when you no longer had to deal with JDJ licensing and case forming- With suppressor popularity climbing, an effective subsonic rifle cartridge is just the pill (pun intended) for curing anemic underloaded supersonic cartridges doing subsonic duty.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jasonixo wrote:The popularity boomed for it when you no longer had to deal with JDJ licensing and case forming- With suppressor popularity climbing, an effective subsonic rifle cartridge is just the pill (pun intended) for curing anemic underloaded supersonic cartridges doing subsonic duty.
You never had to deal with JDJ when it was a 30-221.

It boomed when the Military asked for it and AAC responded with the 300BLK and Remington pushed it through SAAMI. I think factory brass played a part in it but a very small part.
jasonixo

Post by jasonixo »

A huge investment in manufacturing the ammo before it was established helped grease the wheels too- I've always been fascinated with the whisper/30-221/30-223- it deserves some fame-
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Recipe: Subsonic 7.62 x39
180gr Rem Cor-Lokt. .311 Moly coated
6.5gr Red Dot
CCI LR primers

Avg: 980fps out of a 16" bbl MAK 90.
Doesn't even begin to cycle the action.

I drilled some of the primer flash holes to 1/8" and used Magnum primers for some of the loads according to some of the advice by Peter Cronhelm, but other than slightly increasing the velocity, it didn't seem to make a difference in reliability or lowered standard deviation.

As always, my results, my rifle. Your mileage may vary.

I'm curious about anybody who's managed to get an AK to cycle with subsonics. I've had no luck in that regard.

Can't see the point in converting a 7.62x39 with it's inherently low case volume/ caliber ratio to the 300BLK.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

13.5 OF 1680 will cycle for me with a 220gr hornaday RNSP. make sure the OAL is no longer than 2.114 to keep the pressure up. If they are not round nose bullets you will likely get keyholing out of the ak at 50yds. Stays subsonic for me and cyles well when suppressed, even on FA
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]