300 AAC Blackout SBR Upper 8" vs. 9"

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

misterchaos

300 AAC Blackout SBR Upper 8" vs. 9"

Post by misterchaos »

I'm in the process of building an AR-15 SBR in 300 blk. I have narrowed my choices of uppers down to 2 contenders. The AAC 9" upper or the Noveske 8" upper. The end result will have an AAC suppressor attached and I would like to use subsonic and supersonic ammo through the suppressor. The gun will be used at a maximum distance of 300 yards.

2 Questions:

1. What will the impact on ballistics be when using an 8" barrel in this caliber vs. a 9" barrel?

2. Will both of these uppers operate with subsonic and supersonic ammo when using a suppressor? Any benefits or difficiencies between these 2 choices?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
bdeardorf

Re: 300 AAC Blackout SBR Upper 8" vs. 9"

Post by bdeardorf »

will be watching this thread, I am looking at the same two uppers but I have now included the Delta Company Delta-43 which has the 9" barrel.
liquidsniper
Senior Silent Operator

Post by liquidsniper »

I've got the noveske 8 rogue hunter. Let me say I FUCKING LOVE this upper. It is lightweight with the TRX rail and is perfect size for a PDW. It runs like a champ suppressed with subsonic and supersonic ammo. It cycles supersonics without the can just fine. Subsonics unsuppressed, it will cycle the factory ammo but not my handloads (but what the hell is the point of unsuppressed subs). I am sorry I cannot provide any chrono data.
misterchaos

Post by misterchaos »

Thanks liquidsniper!! Great information. I was hoping to get in touch with someone on here who had the Noveske upper. I agree that there really is no point to running subs unsupressed. The information provided by you takes care of my main concerns. I don't really think there is much of a difference between 8 and 9 in terms of ballistics with supersonic loads out to 300 yards. I think that will be pushing this round near its max anyway. Thanks again.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

I'm interested in this as well, but it depends on the rail/upper I pick. I was all about a TRX rail with an 8" or 9" barrel until.... I held the Mega monolithic midlength upper. Now, I'm thinking screw the 4" and just getting a 12" barrel. Gains a bit in supersonic and I highly doubt I'll notice 4" OAL ever.

I might consider the mega carbine length, but I still think the mid feels better.

Rail/Upper aside, I think I'll take any 8"-12" I can get with the best features for the best price.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Neither is in stock.

So I bought the 9 inch BBL from Midway, and the VIS upper from Bravo, and rolled my own. This is my second VIS, and I really like it.
misterchaos

Post by misterchaos »

The Noveske upper is in stock on their website.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/im ... e=&status=

I just have to wait for my paperwork to come back from the ATF for my lower.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

misterchaos wrote:The Noveske upper is in stock on their website.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/im ... e=&status=

I just have to wait for my paperwork to come back from the ATF for my lower.

I was talking about the VIS one.
504ranger
Silent But Deadly

Post by 504ranger »

I'm excited to see my Noveske upper when I get home. I ordered the 8" Lo Pro and it already showed up at the house. Definitely excited to keep tabs on this thread too.
Eagle1*
Silent But Deadly

Post by Eagle1* »

M, glad u went with the 8", you will love it!

btw, found ya... :mrgreen:
In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC!
misterchaos

Post by misterchaos »

The one thing about Noveske that I really like is choices. My sbr paperwork is en route to WV and I'm sure it will be months before it comes back, but in the mean time if I happen to change my mind at least I know Noveske has 3 upper choices in the same barrel length. AAC, at this time, only has 1 complete upper. Granted it's probably the most reliable upper on the market, but I like to have options. Time to start looking for ammo.....and all the components to roll my own.

Maybe RSilvers will come across this thread and shed some light on the ammo situation. Anyone know about the supersonic ammo availability?

Eagle1....I found you weeks ago. I added you as a friend but I don't know if you get any communication about that. Glad to hear from you on here.
Eagle1*
Silent But Deadly

Post by Eagle1* »

misterchaos wrote: Eagle1....I found you weeks ago. I added you as a friend but I don't know if you get any communication about that. Glad to hear from you on here.
I dont that I know of.
In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC!
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Between the Noveske and AAC you can probably decide based on things like looks and rail preference. They should both be good.

Supersonic ammo - with luck we are loading a lot next month, but it is reserved for military and partner companies who need it for rifle testing. I say this publicly in case you are a large gun company and need test ammo. Even though it is a lotish, it is just barely enough to meet the existing obligations. Some month this summer some plastic tipped ammo should be out.