Vortex Viper PST Scope

Tactical gear.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jmselders
Silent But Deadly

Vortex Viper PST Scope

Post by jmselders »

Looking for a 4-16x scope, 30mm main tube SF,and don't want to over 50mm. Have been looking at Leupold and Nightforce and would like to stay under $1500. Up till now only spent around $500-550 on rifle scope.
Any advice?
jmselders
Silent But Deadly

Re: Vortex Viper PST Scope

Post by jmselders »

Trying to choose between the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50, the IOR Valdada 4-14x50 Tactical,and Leupold 4-14x50. The scope is for a SR 25 rifle shooting only out to 500 yards. Any input?
robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Post by robpiat »

jmselders wrote:Trying to choose between the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50, the IOR Valdada 4-14x50 Tactical,and Leupold 4-14x50. The scope is for a SR 25 rifle shooting only out to 500 yards. Any input?

Vortex is a relative new kid on the block. Who knows if they'll be around in 5-10 years. IOR has great glass but has a notably higher incidence rate for mechanical issues.

Do some reading on snipers hide.

While I respect Leupold, they are never really the best bang for the buck. But you know they will be around in 10-15 years though.

Currently here are my recommended scopes that I have tried or read a substantial amount of positive info on. This is a wide range

Super Sniper
Bushnell Elite 4200 / 6500
Millett TRS/LRS (Good warranty, higher than average quirks)
Falcon Optics (FFP available, not much warranty)
Leupold
Nikon(poor elevation adjustment)
Nightforce, USO Etc.
Joeyp

Post by Joeyp »

I'm on a waiting list for the PST 4-16x50 which is about $700 for the SFP and $850 for the FFP.
Was strongly considering the Sightron III prior to it.

I spent probably over a month reading on different scopes around the $1k range and went with the Vortex.

The precision rings came in today and hopefully will be a good representation of the quality of their product.

Do some research and find out what fits your budget, what gets the job you want done, FFP vs SFP, MOA vs MIL, who offers what warranty for their product, and what EXPERIENCED people have wasted their money on. After shooting my friends 700 with a NF scope, I had to go with a MRAD reticle.
libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

Post by libertyman777 »

If you can hang around $1350 then you can pick up a used NF 3.5-15x50. Get it and never look back. I've owned both NF and USO. Superb performance and worth the price of admission. You can roof your house with a USO. Really.

I've owned several of the original Vortex Vipers and they are a good value for the money. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again. Good company, rock solid warranty, good resale value. I'm sure the PST's will be good too but I haven't owned one (yet).

Same thing with the Sightron SIII. I've had a couple and they have very good glass. Turret and reticle weren't matched on mine and they were SFP but I understand that now they have more choices.

I've used lots of Bushnell 3200 and 4200 but not the tactical models. Again, I'm sure they will perform as advertised but I would be surprised if they had better glass than the Sightron SIII.

I hear good things about the Super Sniper HD scopes. Never tried one but would consider it based on positive feedback even though I wasn't impressed with the original SS.

What is cool is that there are now good choices to be had in the $400 to $750 price range. Lot's of good choices that didn't used to be there.

Once you get to $750 then your approaching the used threshold of the next tier of optics. If you're patient, you can find a Leupold Mark 4 10x for that price, especially if it's been painted. Also some plain jane USO ST-10's can be had for a little more.

After the $1000 mark your world opens up again. Fixed power USO can be had with illumination and EREK. A little more and you approach the used NF. $1500 to $2000, new USO and NF F1. Then it's Hendsoldt, S&B, etc. The sky's the limit. I want a S&B PMII 3-12x50 but right now I can't swing it. With the advent of the new Vortex PST (and HST this summer) there will be a good supply of original Vipers available for a good price. I'll probably pick one up and then save, save, save.

Stay away from Chinese glass. It's very hit or miss, even withing the same manufacturer.

Concerning IOR. Do your homework. You can get a superb scope for the money. Yes, they did have some QC concerns involving a couple of models, IIRC it was the early generations of teh 3-18 and 6-24 scopes. I understand that the later models have had these problems rectified. I've owned a few of the fixed 4x models and they are superb, as well as the 2.5-10x42 which for years was their go to model and I've never heard of a problem reported. These can be had used around $750.

Yes, I've bought and sold a lot of glass but I wanted to try them out. Here's what I personally would buy depending on cash in hand.

Under $300 - Bushnell 3200 Tactical 10x (used $150)
$300-$400 Original Vortex Viper (used 6.5-20x50 Mildot if I could find it)
$450 - $750 Super Sniper 10x HD, Vortex PST 4-16 SFP.
$750-$1000 I'd look hard for an IOR 2.5-10 on the lower end, used USO ST-10 on the upper.
$1100 - $1500 USO Fixed and NF 3.5-15 used.

These don't represent the same features or magnification levels but all can be resold for what you paid, which is a plus when you're moving to what you want.

Good luck.

Paul
Remember............ You're Special, Unique, One of a Kind.............Just like everyone else.................
lobo56
Silent But Deadly

Post by lobo56 »

I own an IOR and I love it. I have viewed the optics side by side with a Nightforce and I have to say that the IOR was much much better for the money. My opinion....may not be yours!!
It takes 32 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but only 3 for a proper trigger pull.
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Joeyp wrote:I'm on a waiting list for the PST 4-16x50 which is about $700 for the SFP and $850 for the FFP.
Was strongly considering the Sightron III prior to it.

I spent probably over a month reading on different scopes around the $1k range and went with the Vortex.

The precision rings came in today and hopefully will be a good representation of the quality of their product.

Do some research and find out what fits your budget, what gets the job you want done, FFP vs SFP, MOA vs MIL, who offers what warranty for their product, and what EXPERIENCED people have wasted their money on. After shooting my friends 700 with a NF scope, I had to go with a MRAD reticle.

They still need to be hand lapped.

And during that, you will see how high the quality is either way.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
jmselders
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmselders »

Thanks everyone,

Went with the IOR 4-14x50 and it's worked out well. I was able to use a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 for a little and it was a hard choice. I do like the MP8 reticle in the IOR and the large elevation knob. The glass is very clear and sharp.

This is my SR25 that I am running the IOR on.
lobo56
Silent But Deadly

Post by lobo56 »

Great choice.........is exactly what I use!
It takes 32 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but only 3 for a proper trigger pull.