10/22 bolt/semi auto conversion. Would you buy?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Dan
Silent But Deadly

Re: 10/22 bolt/semi auto conversion. Would you buy?

Post by Dan »

I would be interested at the $100 level if it works good.
John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Post by John Titsworth »

First, there are a lot of cheap people out there in any market. Don't let a few people on a free discussion board discourage you from producing a product.

Second, bolt locks are largely a novelty item. The problem with them is that they shift point of impact. When measured for sound they really only make the shot quieter to your ear. Stand 20 yards away, have someone shoot a 22 bolt gun and a 10/22. Use the same silencer and ammo. You will hardly be able to tell the difference in the sound.

Even though the above is true, people will still buy it. I have seen many firearms related products that I considered worthless to sell like hot cakes. I have see silencers that are loud and over priced sell because of the name on the product.
fastline
Silent Operator

Post by fastline »

rogerdemin wrote:
John Titsworth wrote:First, there are a lot of cheap people out there in any market. Don't let a few people on a free discussion board discourage you from producing a product.

Second, bolt locks are largely a novelty item. The problem with them is that they shift point of impact. When measured for sound they really only make the shot quieter to your ear. Stand 20 yards away, have someone shoot a 22 bolt gun and a 10/22. Use the same silencer and ammo. You will hardly be able to tell the difference in the sound.

Even though the above is true, people will still buy it. I have seen many firearms related products that I considered worthless to sell like hot cakes. I have see silencers that are loud and over priced sell because of the name on the product.
I agree people will buy them if you sold them for 200 bucks each. The problem is how many buyers will there be? If the past is any indication then there are just not that many people who want one. That said IF it does something completely different then previous versions and could be shown to say increase accuracy to a noticeable level then even I woudl buy one. I buy all kinds of stuff I don't need. I got two big drawers full of new ar parts because when I was shopping they looked like something I may like or use. I got a bag of 5 nylon buffer buffers! They looked good when I bought them but when I got them I asked myself why the hell did I buy these? I am not against innovation by any means. I fully support new ideas but I aint gonna lie to this guy and tell him this is a great idea When I have not only owned one but never heard anybody say this was a must have. The truth is that cheap or not most people will use there thumb to accomplish what this does. Then they see the difference it made and most do not do it again. Basically this turns a semi 10/22 into a 96/22. I already have one of those.

I absolutely appreciate the honest replies. It undoubtedly has given something to think about.

However, keep in mind that we are NOT turning a 10/22 into a 96/22, we are "combining" the 10/22 and the 96/22. You still get semi auto function when desired. Consider it like select fire...
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

fastline wrote:
rogerdemin wrote:
John Titsworth wrote:First, there are a lot of cheap people out there in any market. Don't let a few people on a free discussion board discourage you from producing a product.

I agree people will buy them if you sold them for 200 bucks each. The problem is how many buyers will there be? If the past is any indication then there are just not that many people who want one. That said IF it does something completely different then previous versions and could be shown to say increase accuracy to a noticeable level then even I woudl buy one. I buy all kinds of stuff I don't need. I got two big drawers full of new ar parts because when I was shopping they looked like something I may like or use. I got a bag of 5 nylon buffer buffers! They looked good when I bought them but when I got them I asked myself why the hell did I buy these? I am not against innovation by any means. I fully support new ideas but I aint gonna lie to this guy and tell him this is a great idea When I have not only owned one but never heard anybody say this was a must have. The truth is that cheap or not most people will use there thumb to accomplish what this does. Then they see the difference it made and most do not do it again. Basically this turns a semi 10/22 into a 96/22. I already have one of those.

I absolutely appreciate the honest replies. It undoubtedly has given something to think about.

However, keep in mind that we are NOT turning a 10/22 into a 96/22, we are "combining" the 10/22 and the 96/22. You still get semi auto function when desired. Consider it like select fire...
I think one problem you will continue to have is it won't work in aftermarket trigger groups like Timney, VQ and Kidd etc. The people that are going to invest in their guns already have $200+ into their trigger. Unless there is a way to get it to work in all trigger groups you are going to have a very hard sell.
LP
fastline
Silent Operator

Post by fastline »

[/quote]

I think one problem you will continue to have is it won't work in aftermarket trigger groups like Timney, VQ and Kidd etc. The people that are going to invest in their guns already have $200+ into their trigger. Unless there is a way to get it to work in all trigger groups you are going to have a very hard sell.[/quote]

It would work with all trigger groups and bolts.
Luvman

Post by Luvman »

Here's some food for thought. Bring back the 96/22. there are plenty of aftermarket 10/22 receivers, but finding a 96/22 is a PIA. it would be the prefect suppressor host: locked bolt firing, fast follow up shots, and hi cap mags available.

if your bolt lock works well I'd buy it and a 10/22 to put it in.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

If anyone sees a 96/22 in .22lr for sale send me a pm please. Im looking for one and would be willing to spend up to 500-600 on one.
singtoe
Silent But Deadly

Post by singtoe »

yamatitan wrote:If anyone sees a 96/22 in .22lr for sale send me a pm please. Im looking for one and would be willing to spend up to 500-600 on one.
Really, I just bought one from a pawn shop for $200. I was kind of disappointed with it though. i can't use my threaded 10/22 barrel for it and I am having ejection issues. The spent shell seams to miss the ejector and not throwing the shell out. I wonder if Ruger will fix it under warranty.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

singtoe wrote:
yamatitan wrote:If anyone sees a 96/22 in .22lr for sale send me a pm please. Im looking for one and would be willing to spend up to 500-600 on one.
Really, I just bought one from a pawn shop for $200. I was kind of disappointed with it though. i can't use my threaded 10/22 barrel for it and I am having ejection issues. The spent shell seams to miss the ejector and not throwing the shell out. I wonder if Ruger will fix it under warranty.
You can uses 10/22 barrel with tweaks likes extractors cut.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

singtoe wrote:
I saw one on some web site for $300 in a search for 96/22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

doubloon wrote:
singtoe wrote:
I saw one on some web site for $300 in a search for 96/22
Im only seeing .22 mag or .22lr that are already sold. Yes you can use a 10/22 barrel after some dremel work.
Punani

Post by Punani »

I'd buy a lock if it was under $100
"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" -George Orwell
Proud Founder and only Member of the Venice Island Single Malt Scotch drinking team.
haus
Silent Operator

Post by haus »

got bored and made a piece of metal that filled the space behind the charging handle perfectly. It would fit the fill for a couple of shots but gets old if you shoot it much. Just got my bolt gun together and it is the cats meow! I'd be interested in the conversion but cannot quote you a price without seeing workmanship, functionality, and cost. I have 7 10/22's so I am a fan.
Capbyrd

Post by Capbyrd »

singtoe wrote: I wonder if Ruger will fix it under warranty.
Ruger doesn't have a warranty. But yes, they will most likely fix it. They have fantastic service.
brianb
Silent But Deadly

Post by brianb »

Over $50? That's a big negative, and you're gonna misjudge the market if you think you can move and make money at the $100+ price point.

You need a combination of innovation AND value. I'd love to see it.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Dan wrote:I would be interested at the $100 level if it works good.
+1
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

rtd, whats this new 10/22 receiver you speak of?

as far as bolt lock goes, ya, i would much rather have a last round bolt hold open
its quiet time!