Gun Safe

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

SouthTXEMT

Gun Safe

Post by SouthTXEMT »

What brand of gun safes do most of you have? As I increase the number of toys, I want to keep them safe. What are some good brands out there? Photos would be nice... :mrgreen:

Thanks.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Gun Safe

Post by Bendersquint »

SouthTXEMT wrote:What brand of gun safes do most of you have? As I increase the number of toys, I want to keep them safe. What are some good brands out there? Photos would be nice... :mrgreen:

Thanks.
Liberty safes are decent starter safes, not that big and easy to move around on a dolly. Bought a nice one for the closet at Lowes for about 400 bucks.

When your collection gets big enough you can move into a Champion or like styled safe, pricing is around 2K for a good one.

Google them for pictures, people might post pictures of the exterior but don't hold your breath for interior pics. Goes along the lines of people so scared about their gun serial numbers out there so they FBI black them out. :roll:

-B
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Graffunder. They are, quite simply, the best gun safe I've found under five digits. :)
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Zannoti safes are pretty sweet as well, I will end up with at least one in the future when I sell my current safes. They are take apart and each panel weighs I believe no more than 150lbs! Great for building a safe into a closet that is larger than the door or moving the safes around with 2 people.

Can't wait to get them!

-B
Joeyp

Post by Joeyp »

Liberty is what I have. Wait and they go on sale every now and then at Cabellas.
Check out their site. Made in USA and lifetime warranty against ANYTHING pretty much.
ROFuher
Silent But Deadly

Post by ROFuher »

Have owned a Heritage & a Fort Knox.
Happy with both, but still have the Fort Knox.
continuity-TROOPER, 2016
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Bendersquint wrote:Zannoti safes are pretty sweet as well, I will end up with at least one in the future when I sell my current safes. They are take apart and each panel weighs I believe no more than 150lbs! Great for building a safe into a closet that is larger than the door or moving the safes around with 2 people.

Can't wait to get them!

-B
The take-aparts aren't safes. They're security cabinets with the same overall burglary rating as a filing cabinet with a lock on it. :wink:
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

PTK wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:Zannoti safes are pretty sweet as well, I will end up with at least one in the future when I sell my current safes. They are take apart and each panel weighs I believe no more than 150lbs! Great for building a safe into a closet that is larger than the door or moving the safes around with 2 people.

Can't wait to get them!

-B
The take-aparts aren't safes. They're security cabinets with the same overall burglary rating as a filing cabinet with a lock on it. :wink:
800lb security cabinets? Why are they advertised as safes and why do they feel more secure than the Liberty safes I have had in the past?

"How secure is a Zanotti Armor® safe?
There are two relockers built into the door mechanism. A Zanotti Armor® safe offers the same degree of security as a one-piece welded safe"

Something doesn't sound right.....what are you basing that statement on?

-B
silentassets
Silent But Deadly

Post by silentassets »

I have a few Cannon TS7240 that I got on sale at Tractor supply during black friday sale, they are very nice in my opinion and have good overall protection
YHM Mite SS w/QD 4 sale $175 form 3 in Texas
You cant miss fast enough to make up for a hit.
RON PAUL 2012
Huntindoc

Post by Huntindoc »

I really like my Liberty. I have the 72 inch, double wide, fireproof model. I find it at least as good as a Browning and less money. No way I would want to replace it. (Not that I could if I wanted to. It required a hydrolic dolly to move and was placed while the house was being framed. I would have to jackhammer out a wall to remove it.)
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Bendersquint wrote:
PTK wrote:

Can't wait to get them!

-B
800lb security cabinets? Why are they advertised as safes and why do they feel more secure than the Liberty safes I have had in the past?

"How secure is a Zanotti Armor® safe?
There are two relockers built into the door mechanism. A Zanotti Armor® safe offers the same degree of security as a one-piece welded safe"

Something doesn't sound right.....what are you basing that statement on?

-B
I am basing that statement on having owned a real safe, a Graffunder. Zanotti =/= safe. It's a big, well-built security cabinet that does NOT have a proper security rating. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with them, they're just not safes, and of course have no fire rating. :)

http://www.graffundersafes.com/

And, just as an example of what other people in the safe business think...
I want to introduce myself. My name is Scott Jones and I am the owner of Dakota Safe Co.. Thank you for the good review of my product. As far as the advertising goes I am trying. Until recently I had never been on a forum before. I had a customer that had bought a safe that was pretty internet savvy and decided to give me glowing reviews on all the forums to "help me out." Needless to say after about 2 weeks of apologising for "threadomercials"
I have been trying to watch and join in as time will allow.
I have a safe and vault company in Tulsa OK and sell most of the major brands of gunsafe and commercial safes. I have beeen in business 16 yrs.
While my safe is not the answer to every gunowners needs it certainly fills a niche in the market. People that move alot,up/down stairs, mobile homes etc.. I have tested the safe as to pry /beating attempts. My delivery guys were given crowbars, sledges and a splitting maul to try to break in and they gave up after 45min. The way we folded the panels makes them very rigid and a thief would have to cut three sides of the bolts to get a panel open far enough to gain access. I will put it against it any sub $1000 safe in that type of attack. My honest opinion on safes:
The absolute finest gunsafe on the market is Graffunder.
Very pricey but if you can afford it buy one. Go with at least a "C" rate 1/2" steel side wall and 1" solid door.
mcmillanman5
Silent But Deadly

Post by mcmillanman5 »

PTK wrote:Graffunder. They are, quite simply, the best gun safe I've found under five digits. :)
Graffunder safes are unreal! A buddy has one and I could not get over how nice it is.

I wish I owned one!
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Those Graffunder's sure are nice but that 1/4 inch of steel is only 1/4 of the full 1 inch of steel in my TL-15. Now mine is a Hamilton bought from a bank branch that closed and converted for guns, but you can get ready made TL-15 gun safes from these folks:
http://www.brownsafe.com/categories/com ... _safes.htm

Here is a pic of mine. I gutted the bank stuff, shelves and little lock boxes for the teller drawers and such. Then added 3/4 inch of fireboard, the carpeting and all the cribbing. The body has one inch of steel and the door is 1.5 inch. It measures 36 x 36 x 72 inches.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

VERY nice looking safe, but are you comparing the same rating on the two? Graffunder's cheapest/weakest safe has 1/4" steel, 1.5" of epoxy fireproof concrete, and then another 1/4" steel for the sides with a 3/4" layered armor plate on the outside of the door, then again a 1.5" thick layer of concrete, then another 1/4" steel plate.

At least, the "cheap" one I bought did. Damn thing weighed in at ~3,500lbs, empty. :shock:
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

sturdy safes
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
Dark Tranquility
Elite Member

Post by Dark Tranquility »

I have a small Diebold TL-15 (can fit broken down AR-15 just barely) but would definitely look at the Graffunder Safes and for a RSC Sturdy Safes are excellent. You can always go with a TL-15 or TL-30 rated safe for the handguns, suppressors, rifle bolts, cash, precious metals and stuff like that and then a Sturdy Safe for the long guns minus the bolts. That’s more or less what I do. Eventually I want to just go with a completely poured concrete room with a vault door and then inside that move my safes.

I would search Craigslist in your area for words like: TL-15, TL-30, Diebold, etc and see what you come up with.

Whatever you do bolt it down. I had a friend who thought his safe was too heavy to move but half a dozen guys picket it up and threw it in the back of a truck in less than a minute.

Also lock up your tools. Consider putting drills, grinders cutting torch tips and stuff like that in the safe too.

Dan
timtactical

Post by timtactical »

I have a Heritage its the 1000 lb model. A year after I got it the electronic lock (SG) started to fail. I called the company and they contacted a lock smith and installed a mechanical lock free of charge. I am very happy with Heritage.
www.greatplainsguns.com

Baldwin City, KS
Ottawa, KS
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

Any real safe will have a UL listing. They're in the form of TL, TRTL, or TXTL ratings with a number indicating the time it takes a safecracker to access the safe with either hand tools (TL), hand tools with torch (TRTL), or hand tools, torches, and explosives (TXTL).

The letter ratings from manufacturers are only indicative of the construction method. For example, a "B" rated safe will have 1/2" steel plate on the door, 3.5" total door thickness with other material, and 1/4" steel plate on the outer surfaces. Graffunder claims their "E" and "F" rated safes (1.5" door, 1" body) are equivalent to TL-15 and TL-30 safes, although without an actual UL listing it's just taking the manufacturer at their word.

To be sure you're getting what you think you're getting, you're best off spending the extra money on a TL or TRTL rated safe from a manufacturer that actually has the UL listing.

It should help on your insurance too as you can actually quantify your protection (at least this is how my USAA guy explained it to me). Although I don't know how true this actually is.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Researching to upgrade my current safe and ran across this thread.

Thought I'd just drop this here.

Champion Safe vs Liberty Safe Tractor Pull using safes salvaged from a wreck that happened May 16 2017 - The Safe Keeper

Published on Jun 23, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3d_D33vOt8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Just a bit of information for everyone who owns a safe.You can improve the fire rating by enclosing the safe in a cabinet made of green board drywall.It will do nothing against water or smoke damage but it may save your collection from a total loss.I would use two or more sheets of green board and if you added more to protect it from water and smoke more power to you.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895