Jailbreak Groupbuy!!!! 215 returned!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Jailbreak Groupbuy!!!! 215 returned!

Post by saltydecimator »

2011 Silencer Jailbreak Group Buy:
I have contacted an 07/02 called Stalking Rhino that deals in suppressors about a group buy on jailbreaking some cans. They will do it on certain cans, depending on features, as listed below. We need to get at least 10 cans on here to qualify for their 20% discount.
The details are as follows:
-Cost-
Each site needs a minimum of 10 jailbreaks to get the group discount.
Group buy price is $215 returned, user serviceable with take down wrench. The normal pricing for jailbreaking with a Ti cap and tool is $275 returned. Making this around a 20+% discount, which is pretty good if you ask me. You can send additional cans in to be jailbroken for $205, with no limit to how many you send.

-Turnaround-
It should be approximately 4 weeks (or possibly longer due to the number of cans, but hopefully shorter as well) from when the cans get to Stalking Rhino. That estimate was based upon an estimate of 50 cans between both sites. They will be serviced in the order received, so SRI recommends that you prep your can and paperwork, as to get it in at the close of the group buy
The suppressor will be returned user serviceable and with a light bead blast baffle cleaning and wire brush tube cleaning. The new endcap will be made of Ti with a rotary broached hex feature for ease of installing and removing the endcap. Tool is also included in the price.
-What you will get-
Jailbroken can
Take down tool
The takedown tool will be an allen head wrench, with a new end cap that has been rotary broached. There are some cool videos on youtube showing how the process works
New Ti endcap (unless otherwise noted)(this applies to the yhm wraiths,as noted (below
Satisfaction of being able to service your can, and use it with dirty 22lr, if desired
pics of your core, to see how dirty it was!!!

Here is a list of the cans that can be done, any not on the list will be on a case by case basis. If you have one not listed, let me know and I will get with Stalking Rhino. It depends on the design of the can whether they can jailbreak it or not.
Any can that arrives damaged or clogged and not capable of jailbreaking will be returned to the owner with a refund minus shipping charges.

(*'s are explained below.)
AAC Pilot
AAC Evo 9/40/45
AAC Tirant 9/45 *
AAC Aviator
AAC Eco9
AAC Striker9

SWR Trident9 **
SWR Shadow9 **
SWR HEMS/HEMS2
SWR Omega 22*

Gemtech Outback/Outback 2
Gemtech Blackside 40/45
Gemtech Multimount
Gemtech Raptor
Gemtech Viper
Gemtech Tundra
Gemtech Mossad
Gemtech UMP45
Gemtech SOS 40/45
Gemtech Vortex

YHM Wraith 9XL ***
YHM Wraith 45XL ***
YHM Cobra 9/40/45
YHM Wraith 22

* - If they can get the endcap off with no damage to the endcap the suppressor will be returned with the factory endcap and refund check of $50.

** - Due to the design of the endcap removal has the risk of damaging the last baffle, every precaution will be taken to limit this risk. If there is damage there will be a minor loss of dB reduction but it will be serviceable.

*** - Due to larger OD endcaps will be made of SS.

What to include with the suppressor when you send it in:
- check or money order for $215 for first suppressor and a 10$ discount for each additional suppressor with no limits (they are not set up for credit card transactions yet)
Personal checks are held to clear before the work is done
They prefer money order
-legible copy or scan of drivers license and
-copy of their approved Form4 front and back.
-i will email ya an SRI order form that needs to be filled out. i will email the form at the end

If anything is missing the work will not be done and will not be returned until all the paperwork is accounted for.
Note: None of the paperwork will be returned, it will be maintained in their records.
They reserve the right to not jailbreak a can; again refund of full price minus return shipping.
Be aware that if the internal baffles are indexed and don't have indexing features
(like AAC Evo's) that there may be a minor loss of dB levels unless they are aligned each time they are reinstalled into the suppressor tube.

-when to send in-
we will run this for 2 weeks from today, and then we will send in what we have...if its over the ten...

i will contact everyone at the close of the group buy with SRI's shipping address.

-contact-

You must email me with what you have, and you will be added to the list
saltydecimator(removethisspam)@gmail.com
Last edited by saltydecimator on Mon May 16, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
its quiet time!
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Re: Jailbreak Groupbuy!!!! 215 returned!

Post by Schulze »

Might as well do this for my Evo 9. Count me in.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Sorry guys. Already had it worked out with SRI so my gear is getting shipped today.

Hope it still works out for you all.
Last edited by Davo5o on Mon May 16, 2011 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I have a couple of cans with SRI right now, too, actually. I got in before the group buy, so I'm jealous. Still, I'll get my toys back before the lot of you, so I guess I get bragging rights. :wink: Group buys are a wonderful thing for one's wallet.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

Schulze wrote:Might as well do this for my Evo 9. Count me in.

thats what i am havin done too. i look forward to bein able to rock 22lr out of it!

marksman, make sure ya post pics! i will get some completed pics for everyone else on here before long as well..

i think sri has a deal with new cores as well. think they are doin some r and d to ensure quieter performance
its quiet time!
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Are any of the Evo-9's going in for the jail break the NEW core? If so.. I would LOVE to have the New Core Baffles "replicated" and have my old ones replaced with them. I would ultimately want Ti ones made in the new design so they will hold up with the aggressive granular powders that are out there now.

At least once my Evo-9 is cracked I may have a better chance of getting even OEM new core baffles put in.

AAC should make them out of ti, or even Stainless Steel, for us folks willing to pay the extra for baffles that will hold up better when using any of the new granular clean burning powders..

I am signing up for the jail break for my Evo-9.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

ya john, thats what i am sending in. i have been running 158 fiochiis dry, and thats the quietest the can has been (and is pretty pleasant). i look forward to being able to shoot 22 through it, and not worry about turning the can into a giant ball of carbon! LOL

as far as new cores go, i forwarded your question to SRI for their consideration, but we need at least ten people in on this to get the cracking accomplished. once we have a better idea of who wants what done to what can a better answer can be given on R&D on quieter baffles. so far thats 4 evos though and the tirant, depending on davo5o's situation. i thought we would have had a few pilots and aviators in the mix by now...

here is a vid on rotary broaching that i have been sharing with everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUEcagEmmZo
its quiet time!
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

What are the laws in sendng a can out for service?
NRA Benefactor Member
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

PAIN wrote:What are the laws in sendng a can out for service?
Include copy of your tax stamp, driver license and the can and for service has to end up at an 07/02 FFL/SOT. When it arrives I log it into my bound book. Your stamp and dl is what gets it back to you because it proves you as the legal owner, and its returned to the SAME ADDRESS that it was sent from.

Ship via UPS/FEDEX. Track it, and insure it.

Email address is needed so I can email everyone pictures of their core fresh from the can before cleaning and will let each person know when their gear arrives and is shipped out.

Pretty easy in all reality and happens ALL THE TIME!

-B
greytamer

Post by greytamer »

Count me in for an older evo9. Please pm me the shipping info. Thanks
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

greytamer wrote:Count me in for an older evo9. Please pm me the shipping info. Thanks
SALTYDECIMATOR will send out the shipping info along with the forms we need filled out at the end of the group buy period(2 weeks).

Please send him an email at the address he listed with your info.

-B
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

JohnInNH wrote:Are any of the Evo-9's going in for the jail break the NEW core? If so.. I would LOVE to have the New Core Baffles "replicated" and have my old ones replaced with them. I would ultimately want Ti ones made in the new design so they will hold up with the aggressive granular powders that are out there now.

At least once my Evo-9 is cracked I may have a better chance of getting even OEM new core baffles put in.

AAC should make them out of ti, or even Stainless Steel, for us folks willing to pay the extra for baffles that will hold up better when using any of the new granular clean burning powders..

I am signing up for the jail break for my Evo-9.
I need to drive up one of these days and we can shoot.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

I suppose this will void the warranty of my Trident 9.

Oh well.....count me in.
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

garandman wrote:I suppose this will void the warranty of my Trident 9.

Oh well.....count me in.
Yeah, I can't name a single manufacturer that would warranty a jailbroken can, and I can't blame them. After the jailbreak you're trusting SRI's workmanship. In my case, I have a brand-new Osprey sitting at my dealer so I thought I'd turn my SWR HEMS into a user serviceable can to be run a little harder. The HEMS was my first love, and with good reason, but jailbreaking lets me repurpose it and helps me take better care of it on my own. If I had a new SWR can, or it was my only suppressor in a caliber, I don't know if I'd jailbreak. SWR's customer service and warranty is top knotch, so that's not to be sacrificed lightly.

So far I've been very impressed with SRI's customer service, too. Bendersquint did a great job keeping me in touch with what was going on with my MKE AT94 work, and he was very helpful with the custom requests I had for the jailbreak. I'll show those off when I get it back, and that should be soon. :D
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

Selectedmarksman wrote:[Yeah, I can't name a single manufacturer that would warranty a jailbroken can, and I can't blame them. After the jailbreak you're trusting SRI's workmanship. In my case, I have a brand-new Osprey sitting at my dealer so I thought I'd turn my SWR HEMS into a user serviceable can to be run a little harder. The HEMS was my first love, and with good reason, but jailbreaking lets me repurpose it and helps me take better care of it on my own. If I had a new SWR can, or it was my only suppressor in a caliber, I don't know if I'd jailbreak. SWR's customer service and warranty is top knotch, so that's not to be sacrificed lightly.

So far I've been very impressed with SRI's customer service, too. Bendersquint did a great job keeping me in touch with what was going on with my MKE AT94 work, and he was very helpful with the custom requests I had for the jailbreak. I'll show those off when I get it back, and that should be soon. :D

Thanx selectedmarksman. Good write up. I wouldn't expect SWR to warranty my jailbroke Trident 9.

That said, my Trident 9 is prolly 4-5 years old, and I don't shoot all that much 9mm suppressed. I do shoot buckets of 22rf, on two different guns. (semi & SMG) In fact, its the quality of SWR's cans that gives me the confidence to do this. They make 'em right the first time, so they don't hafta service them later.

Alls I can see going wrong is a baffle strike, and that'd likely be my fault anyway. And it just bugs me not being able to service my 9mm can anyway. :) Shoot, I'd jailbreak all my rifle cans if I could get away with it. :lol:
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

garandman wrote: Thanx selectedmarksman. Good write up. I wouldn't expect SWR to warranty my jailbroke Trident 9.

That said, my Trident 9 is prolly 4-5 years old, and I don't shoot all that much 9mm suppressed. I do shoot buckets of 22rf, on two different guns. (semi & SMG) In fact, its the quality of SWR's cans that gives me the confidence to do this. They make 'em right the first time, so they don't hafta service them later.

Alls I can see going wrong is a baffle strike, and that'd likely be my fault anyway. And it just bugs me not being able to service my 9mm can anyway. :) Shoot, I'd jailbreak all my rifle cans if I could get away with it. :lol:
Garandman,

The below picture was what my Trident9's blast baffle looked like(underside) after 5000 rounds of 9mm 147gr Berry's Plated ammo. I never shot any 22lr through it. I did clean the exterior of that baffle and it did pull some anodizing with it. I will have no problem shooting that Trident for many many many years to come!

The quality is definitely there in the SWR cans BUT I have noticed more buildup in SWR cans than other manufacturers, their design retains more of the gunk and keeps the gases inside, not a bad thing if you can clean it from day one, but allows for more buildup if you don't.

Be aware(as other shooters shooting 22rf in ANY can should be as well) that 22lr does a number on the baffles......

If 22rf is shot in volume(or heavily like you mentioned) there is a good chance that the baffles are carbon welded to the wall of the suppressor tube. Just be aware that it has happened in the past that when the baffles are pressed out that carbon may damage the anodizing inside the tube. You won't see any performance change or safety concerns but it will be visible when looking inside, the issue is more cosmetic than anything.

Keep in mind also that this isn't anything new. I cracked a Trident several years ago that was fresh back from SWR from replacing the core and the inside of the tube had anodizing missing. Just something that happens when carbon welded baffles are pressed out, we have a couple methods that we use to minimize this but owners need to be aware of this as to a degree its inevitable.

This applies to any can that has been shot alot, especially with 22rf...

If you have any questions please ask and I will answer them as best I can.

-B
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

Bendersquint wrote:[Garandman,

The below picture was what my Trident9's blast baffle looked like(underside) after 5000 rounds of 9mm 147gr Berry's Plated ammo. I never shot any 22lr through it. I did clean the exterior of that baffle and it did pull some anodizing with it. I will have no problem shooting that Trident for many many many years to come!

If 22rf is shot in volume(or heavily like you mentioned) there is a good chance that the baffles are carbon welded to the wall of the suppressor tube. Just be aware that it has happened in the past that when the baffles are pressed out that carbon may damage the anodizing inside the tube. -B
Bender -

I've shot maybe 1,000 rounds thru my T9 - 700 9mm and 3-400 22lr (if that many rounds) . I've experienced that carbon weld effect in my Mite 22, which is why now tho I seldom clean it, I ALWAYS break it down immediately after shooting. Still looks in great condition, tho its gotten lots of use.

I realize the anodizing may be shot, but am not really worried about the cosmetics.

I've also frequently soaked my T9 is various solutions, that have knocked free carbon particles, so I have hopes my baffles / end cap won't look nearly as nasty as your pic there. :)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

garandman wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:[Garandman,

If 22rf is shot in volume(or heavily like you mentioned) there is a good chance that the baffles are carbon welded to the wall of the suppressor tube. Just be aware that it has happened in the past that when the baffles are pressed out that carbon may damage the anodizing inside the tube. -B
Bender -

I've shot maybe 1,000 rounds thru my T9 - 700 9mm and 3-400 22lr (if that many rounds) . I've experienced that carbon weld effect in my Mite 22, which is why now tho I seldom clean it, I ALWAYS break it down immediately after shooting. Still looks in great condition, tho its gotten lots of use.

I realize the anodizing may be shot, but am not really worried about the cosmetics.

I've also frequently soaked my T9 is various solutions, that have knocked free carbon particles, so I have hopes my baffles / end cap won't look nearly as nasty as your pic there. :)
We shouldn't have any issues with your T9 based on your description. When I heard BUCKETS it made my heart skip as beat as buckets is usually equal to a huge pain to deal with.

-B
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

Bendersquint wrote:[We shouldn't have any issues with your T9 based on your description. When I heard BUCKETS it made my heart skip as beat as buckets is usually equal to a huge pain to deal with.

-B

Prolly my fault, shoulda been more precise in my description - I do shoot bucketsw of 22 rf, on a number of platforms, but have put very little thru the T9.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Once again, that's some great info, Bendersquint. Thanks for these outstanding posts. :D

I have mixed emotions looking at that baffle picture. On the one hand, the condition of the baffle makes me want to cry. On the other, it's a really, really well set up shot and looks great. It's definitely exciting to think that someone with a can that gunked up will be able to get in there and service it when needed to keep it running like new.

I can't wait to get my HEMS back :mrgreen:
Jonas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jonas »

Are Evo 9 baffles "keyed" into each other, so they'll be "clocked" correctly upon reassembly?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Jonas wrote:Are Evo 9 baffles "keyed" into each other, so they'll be "clocked" correctly upon reassembly?
Negative, they are aligned and locked into the suppressor on assembly, i have seen more Evo9's with misaligned baffles that I am sure AAC would like to hear about!

Hence the..."Be aware that if the internal baffles are indexed and don't have indexing features(like AAC Evo's) that there may be a minor loss of dB levels unless they are aligned each time they are reinstalled into the suppressor tube."

Now with that said I don't bother aligning my Evo baffles and I can't tell the difference, perhaps some people can but I haven't run into anyone that can tell the difference.

For the Evo's9or any can without indexing features) with each jailbreak I will include a picture of how they should be correctly stacked.

-B
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Great to hear. That was one of my concerns with the evo40.

AAC said they need to be aligned in a very specific manner. When I look inside with a flashlight, they seem to be facing all different directions? I was hoping you would address this issue.

Thanks.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Yeah, I'd like to hear about the evo's now if possible. I'm considering the jailbreak on my evo 9.
I'm wondering how the baffles are supposed to be aligned now.
Any description or images would be nice.
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

chris,

matt two posts above you described it. he says he normally takes pictures of the core however, so it is possible that he has pics already. is your can sounding louder than before?
its quiet time!