Best way to open carry a silencver attached to a pistol ?

Private holding tank.

Moderator: mpallett

YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best way to open carry a silencver attached to a pistol

Post by YugoRPK »

jamesrm wrote:First, I only read the first page.

Your probably going to do this anyway, but this is a bad idea, and you gain absolutely nothing from this practice, here are my reasons for saying so:

First, you limit the functionality of your weapon. It makes your draw longer and harder, so if you were to have to engage someone, your reaction time will be slower.

Second, if you do have to engage someone, I would want as much noise as possible to alert others to the situation and to distract my opponent.

Third, a significant portion of the population WILL call the police, and they will be dispatched. The officer will probably not harrass you, but why risk it? Why tie up an officer on a waste of time call when you gain nothing?

Forth, why risk damaging your can?

Your'e missing the point entirely. Stop thinking of Leonard as a person and think of him as the scam artist he is. This isnt about protection or drawing his weapon. Its all about wanting to be harassed by the police so he can sue them and get an out of court settlement. Suing is how the guy lives.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

kwikrnu wrote: Why would cops be dispatched to investigate a non crime?
Because the vast majority of civilians do not know the following:

1) Open carry is legal (in most states)
2) Silencers are legal (in most states)
3) Open carry of a silencer is legal (in some states)

You know this. We know you know this. We know that you know that by doing this uneducated civilians will call the police to report a man with a gun and a silencer wandering near X location. Police will be obligated to respond. No police department will have an SOP of assuming the individual in the report they are responding to is a non-threat. They will be forced to assume you are a threat until proven otherwise. This is common sense. You aren't stupid, you know this.

I can't believe Devil Doc got banned but this stuff is allowed to continue.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
walruskid1

Post by walruskid1 »

.22 for self defense when there are so many better choices? why?
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

walruskid1 wrote:.22 for self defense when there are so many better choices? why?
Your post count indicates you're new here. This isn't about self defense for this guy. I have faith that as this trainwreck unfolds you'll see what I mean.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
WooD
Silent But Deadly

Post by WooD »

I cant figure out why any "normal" person would want/need to open carry a weapon in public places.

I could see if you owned a large farm, ranch, or were camping in a area that might have animals that might see you as lunch. Even then I'd rather have a rifle or shotgun.

To me carrying an AK type pistol, or any pistol / can combo is insane.

I carry a small 357, 40, or 45 concealed. If I had to use any of them in self defence the last thing on my mind would be protecting my hearing.

I'm thinking attention whore.
Last edited by WooD on Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wyoguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by wyoguy »

kwikrnu wrote:Image

This is what I am going to open carry.

I asked you this quite specificially before, and per usual, you ignored it...

But Here you posted the same background again, so I will again ask...

Exactly, Specifically...What MESSAGE Are You Intending To Convey to Us Here, Using As A Background The Disney Princesses ???

:roll:

WYOGUY
85% of all statistics are made up...and the other 30% are wrong!
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

JOHN_E wrote:Have you considered rectal carry?

Grease can, insert can until only the gun is exposed. I think this will offer a faster draw than the holster you posted and you only need to cut a 1" hole in your jeans.

This will allow you to "open carry" the pistol with can attached, but not scare the public with the view of a silencer. As an added bonus.......If you had tacos the night before, FRP will be eliminated by naturally occurring medium being introduced into the suppressor while carrying.
That is an epic post, and a great suggestion for the OP. I just quoted it to give anybody who may have missed it an oportunity to see it.
psychlops

Post by psychlops »

wyoguy wrote:
Exactly, Specifically...What MESSAGE Are You Intending To Convey to Us Here, Using As A Background The Disney Princesses ???

WYOGUY
I think he's telling us he needs a gun to get a woman. Or to get it up. Or both.
SILENCERS: They're not just for hitmen anymore.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

In 20 years Leonard will be remembered as the man responsible for making civilian ownership of silencers illegal. He would be proud of that.
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

stevejobs wrote:In 20 years Leonard will be remembered as the man responsible for making civilian ownership of silencers illegal. He would be proud of that.
Nah, he will be remembered like Jared Lee Loughner.
NRA Benefactor Member
walruskid1

Post by walruskid1 »

i see what you mean.
mcinfantry
Silent But Deadly

Post by mcinfantry »

mcinfantry wrote:I will try and refrain from comment until I see Socom and twinsen reply...
I will try and refrain from comment until I see Socom and twinsen reply...
I will try and refrain from comment until I see Socom and twinsen reply...
This, again.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Selectedmarksman wrote: assuming the individual in the report they are responding to is a non-threat.
I understand your context, but in the bigger picture he IS a threat on a number of levels.
Selectedmarksman wrote:you aren't stupid,
?. :lol: Again, I know what you're saying....but I can't see his name or his posts without that descriptor (and others) coming to mind.
Selectedmarksman wrote:I can't believe Devil Doc got banned but this stuff is allowed to continue.
+1000, I can't either. And Nighthawk.
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

My thing is...what are you going to do if the shtf and you actually need to use one of these colorful "made to look like an air soft" weapons or your suppressed .22? How are you going to explain that and how can it possibly help those of us that legally own and do not carry our suppressors for personal protection? I'm sure that the ATF will have lots of fun keeping your toys, good luck fighting them in the courts though, they are federal and have a much much larger chance of not only dragging you out, but winning any case against you.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I didn't read anything passed the first page. Is there such a holster? I almost feel like it would have to be a break-away from the top of the pistol, as drawing a silencer out through would be the opposite of quick. Hell, you'd also have to have it attached to your thigh just to have enough pulling room to even clear the holster.

Thinking about it now, one of those frame-mounted clips for a GLOCK.... the kind that mate up to the side of the slide... that might work fine. I don't know what their strength is, so that the extra weight of a silencer and running - could be a bad combination. But in a pinch, that might work. It would look a little odd, just kind of 'affixed' to the side of your waist-line (the clip isn't visible), but that's some form of answer.

Don't know if anyone asked yet, but what firearm/silencer combination? I feel like that would have a lot to do with it as almost all of the holsters I can think of off hand have a tendency to grip the sides of the pistol, meaning that even if you took a hacksaw to the lower of the holster, the silencer would still be too wide, and prevent a good draw. Plus, you'd almost certainly put unsightly wear on the silencer itself. I realize that a scratch, or scuffing on a silencer has zilch to do with its functionality, but I always baby mine because of its cost, so I figure others might do the same.

I am pretty sure I've seen some generic nylon holsters that use a generic velcro strap on the back to hold the unit in. If you can get one that pushes against the squarish trigger guard of a GLOCK-style pistol, then you might be able to hack off the bottom of that holster, use a cigarette lighter to clean up the nylon fray, then secure the pistol against its trigger guard and rear using that one-size-fits-all velcro strap.

Also, even though you're doing this for some other reason, you might also consider simply putting the silencer in a pounch as though it were an extra mag. I know my AAC Evo-9 came with just such a pouch. It won't make the same statement, nor be as quick to offer hearing protection in the event you need it "right then", but that's also an option.

Could you use some sort of sling or lanyard? Something that lets the pistol hang basically straight down in your arm-pit region? That silencer would almost ensure that it hangs mostly down, but you can be extra sure if you half-load the magazine instead of full-loading, just to keep the center of gravity in line with a lanyard. It might be less attractive, but it should be effective. I'd also hate to have to jog in such a rig, with the pistol bouncing all over the place. My biggest fear would be knocking the unit around in such a way that the next shot results in a baffle strike.

Whatever. That's the best I've got right now;

-- lanyard/string with an over-the-shoulder, hangs-at-the-armpit style.
-- generic, too-big, one-size-fits-all-secures-at-the-top nylon holster, cut at the bottom.
-- ^^ that same rig would probably do best on your thigh to facilitate the longer pull to clear the holster.
-- a frame or slide mounted clip, for what is essentially an In-Waste-Band carry, only do it on the outside.

----------------------------------- ETA -------------------------
Just saw what your planned carry piece is. Its small. I don't think holsters can be modified for that easily, especially because the same basic problem exists; the silencer is wider than the gun. So you're back to needing a break-away holster, something maybe that you make yourself? Visualize one of those generic nylon ones, then cut it across the top - where the top portion of the slide of the pistol rests - and then rejoin those two halves with velcro. It won't be ultra-secure, but then again the pistol is light. You wouldn't pull the pistol up and out, you would push it forward, against that velcro, and then bring it up normally.

You might also produce a very wide, one-inch gap/slit in the nylon holster, then simply put a strap over the front that attaches via velcro to the outter side. You'd need to undo that strap before drawing your pistol -- again, out through the front instead of top -- but that wouldn't be significantly slower than anybody else who might also have to undo a strap, albeit in a different direction.

Also, given its small size, you might look into a holster that literally accomodates the whole rig, like a holster for a S&W 500. I don't know how wide the space is for the barrel in one of those, but you might be able to jam that whole unit into one of those over-size holsters without problem. The only downside to this would be that it may not be obvious to anyone who is looking that you even have a silencer attached. Also, these types of holsters tend to go across the chest (I think).
Last edited by TROOPER on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

D9M9TR9S wrote: How are you going to explain that and how can it possibly help those of us that legally own and do not carry our suppressors for personal protection?
I don't give a s--t if what I do hurts you, why should I? I legally own silencers and will legally carry them attached to my guns.
psychlops

Post by psychlops »

kwikrnu wrote: I don't give a s--t if what I do hurts you, why should I?
And THAT is why you're an asshole.

You should never be allowed to own a gun. You don't have the maturity or the sense of responsibility, just the legal right. And being such an irresponsible asshole, you're going to get that legal right taken away from all of us.

For once in my life, I'm in favor of the feds taking away someone's legal right to own guns. Not everyones, just yours.
wyoguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by wyoguy »

kwikrnu wrote:
D9M9TR9S wrote: How are you going to explain that and how can it possibly help those of us that legally own and do not carry our suppressors for personal protection?
I don't give a s--t if what I do hurts you, why should I? I legally own silencers and will legally carry them attached to my guns.
And THERE'S The Mystery!!!

Given Leonard's Oft-Repeated Narcisstic Declarations, This Being But The Latest...Declaring Without Any Eqivocation Or Ambivalence, That He Has No Concern Whatsoever As To The Consequences of His Asshatery Actions Upon Everyone Else's Ability To Have, Carry And Use Firearms And Suppressors ???

In This Very Short Statement...Leonard Has Succinctly Summed Up His Creed----He Doesn't Give A s--t!!!

I Wish Robert Would Answer The Question Posed Not Just By Me But By Dozens Of Folks Here On This Forum...

WHY Is Leonard Still Allowed To POLLUTE This Forum ???

WYOGUY
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Someone ban this ignorant F--k- seriously.
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

jlwilliams wrote:
JOHN_E wrote:Have you considered rectal carry?

Grease can, insert can until only the gun is exposed. I think this will offer a faster draw than the holster you posted and you only need to cut a 1" hole in your jeans.

This will allow you to "open carry" the pistol with can attached, but not scare the public with the view of a silencer. As an added bonus.......If you had tacos the night before, FRP will be eliminated by naturally occurring medium being introduced into the suppressor while carrying.
That is an epic post, and a great suggestion for the OP. I just quoted it to give anybody who may have missed it an oportunity to see it.

:lol:
RogaDanar
Silent Operator

Post by RogaDanar »

kwikrnu wrote:I don't give a s--t if what I do hurts you, why should I?...
I find that statement absolutely disgusting. That is the mindset of a criminal, or perhaps someone with borderline personality disorder.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
wyoguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by wyoguy »

RogaDanar wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:I don't give a s--t if what I do hurts you, why should I?...
I find that statement absolutely disgusting. That is the mindset of a criminal, or perhaps someone with borderline personality disorder.
I Disagree...

There Is Nothing BORDERLINE About Leonard Stanes 'kwikrnu' Embody !!!

He Is CLEARLY Disturbed !!!

:lol:

WYOGUY
psychlops

Post by psychlops »

On the bright side, his next prosecutor is going to have a field day with all of the excellent quotes he's providing here.

He may not go to prison, but if he's judged mentally incompetent to own a gun and he has his toys taken away that would hurt him more than prison ever would.
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

psychlops wrote:On the bright side, his next prosecutor...
who was the first?
psychlops

Post by psychlops »

kwikrnu wrote:
psychlops wrote:On the bright side, his next prosecutor...
who was the first?
Everyone here.

You've been judged and found defective.