Liberty Mystic Review

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Liberty Mystic Review

Post by Chondro »

I wanted to get some more time with the can before I reviewed it. It's still sitting at my SOT's but I've got to try it out on a number of hosts now. I wasn't a fan of the front cap but after seeing it in person I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Hell your stuck with them for life so they may as well look good and the front even got my SOT excited. In fact this is the first can I've ever seen him get excited over. Though he sold 5 relatively quick just using mine for demo's so he knows his customer base and what multi cal fans many are.

I should cover the tube is the registered part and the internals can always be replaced but the tube cannot. From the PM's I've gotten lately I realize that isn't understood by a lot and why protecting the tube is so important. This is in many aspects like the Kodiak. The core also serves as the blast chamber and completely protects it from the blast. More importantly the Booster/LID also impacts the core and not the tube so no more concern about split tubes from playing machine gun on your Glock. The tube like the Kodiaks is not threaded and there is no lateral stress on the tube. It's simply compressed between the end cap and lock ring ever so gently. Another you could just mount to the gun and use duct tape in place of the tube if you wanted as all the pressure is within the first chamber of the steel core.

The first host I tried out was my M&P 9mm. The sound of this thing is unreal. I was pretty pleased with my Multimount until I tried this. We were actually calling out shots as louder and quieter with the mix of ammo I threw in the mags. We shot it side my side to the MM with the MM on the 226 elite. The Mystic has a really great tone! Then switched hosts and tried again. Much quieter. The can is heavier but while passing it around none of us noticed. I was just getting ready to sell off my 308 bolt gun when I realized it was rated for 308 subs as well. Now this can is mainly only going to be used for 300BLK on my M-16 but its gonna get all kinds of use now. :P

Sounds great on rimfire. We tried a P-22 and GSG 1911. Didn't bring a rimfire can to try it side by side but the sound is still really good. The can is longer than the MM and the same length as the Tirants but Dave had explained this was to make it work really well on some of the other calibers its intended for. One of my buddies actually is buying this as his dedicated rimfire can as he wants to cover his M&P 15/22, M&P 9mm and P-22 with one stamp. Cheap basterd.. :lol:

The hope was this would have the lack of blowback like the Kodiaks but no dice there. It’s the same as the MM which is still better than what my original dedicated Mac can was like. But again with the hosts I can use on this I can overlook that. Easily tied for my second favorite can now with the TL still in the lead..

Oh my MM mounts all work with it as well..

Here's a nice vid they did..Get to see the core and the 13 baffles.. :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/libertycans ... MHfs3ARRI4
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: Liberty Mystic Review

Post by Bowen1911 »

You lucky....... guy

Yet again I am jealous because of you.
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

That is purdy.

Dave does good work and has excellent/quick CS. I'd buy from him again in a heartbeat.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

cant wait to see what it meters up against the Tirant and Ocatane 9. If its close or better than those I think the caliber ratings is going to win it out for me.
LonghunterCO
Silent But Deadly

Post by LonghunterCO »

Wow that is rated for alot of cal.
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

did you have issues running the Mystic on the GSG1911? i've had issues running my 9mm can on my GSG1911. but it runs just fine on my P22. i do have a 22lr can, but did it just to see if how well it worked a while back. the GSG1911 w/ standard velocity ammo, seems to not cycle w/ a heavier can on it for me at least.
peytont
Senior Silent Operator

Post by peytont »

kaotic504 wrote:did you have issues running the Mystic on the GSG1911? i've had issues running my 9mm can on my GSG1911. but it runs just fine on my P22. i do have a 22lr can, but did it just to see if how well it worked a while back. the GSG1911 w/ standard velocity ammo, seems to not cycle w/ a heavier can on it for me at least.

Its probably more related to back pressures. I assume the GSG is a fixed barrel .22? Your dedicated .22 can generates more back pressures due to the tight aperture as compared to the 9mm can. The less pressures generated by the 9mm can is giving you cycling issues.
lafsnguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by lafsnguy »

How do you think it would fair on a swd m11? I'm looking at getting that as my first venture into machine guns and of course I will need a suppressor. What I like about the mystic is the versatility. I know most people recommend getting a dedicated high volume sub gun can, but what say you?
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

lafsnguy wrote:How do you think it would fair on a swd m11? I'm looking at getting that as my first venture into machine guns and of course I will need a suppressor. What I like about the mystic is the versatility. I know most people recommend getting a dedicated high volume sub gun can, but what say you?
I was using my Multimount as a stop gap for my dedicated Mac can..It worked great and should have just have just stuck with that and then switched to this can. (Though the thought is the stamp could change any day..) I'm not sure what the larger volume cans are suppose to do as the only benefit I can see is holding the can and the fact it looks wicked cool.. :P This would work great as a SMG can..Just have to find a cover for it so you can hold it..Though the flat spacer trick keeps the can from backing off its nice to hold the can to aim..

I think its safe to say this can would fair well on pretty much anything you can think of.. 8)

Mystic core is pretty much what the retrofit is in my Mac can..

MM on a full auto mac..Smaller volume can than the Mystic and you can see blowback isn't an issue and sounds great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5TfArCRux0

Bowen you getting Form 1 ideas again? :wink:

chp5
Silent But Deadly

Post by chp5 »

Awesome thread and can. Thanks for posting.

I have the [now discontinued] Liberty Shoofly and love it.

This may be my next can. It's funny - some can manufacturers have R&D departments - and Dave makes top shelf, innovative cans out of his own shop. You gota love the American small business man!
Last edited by chp5 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Thanks..Damn I didn't know they discontinued the Shoofly..I was gonna grab one of those for one of my 10/22's.. :cry:

Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

kaotic504 wrote:did you have issues running the Mystic on the GSG1911? i've had issues running my 9mm can on my GSG1911. but it runs just fine on my P22. i do have a 22lr can, but did it just to see if how well it worked a while back. the GSG1911 w/ standard velocity ammo, seems to not cycle w/ a heavier can on it for me at least.
It ran fine for me. With the fixed barrel I don't think it would matter..Next time I'm over I'll try the GSG with a few cans and see what I find out..

Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

form 1 ideas? Yes.

Though i may just want to buy this one....
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

Awesome review, Chondro.

Do you have any better pictures of the core?
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Thanks.. :D No the damn camera batteries died on me right when I got started..If you go 2 mins into the vid Dave did though you can see it really good..Doesn't get me excited like a Kodiak core but its still very cool.. :P

Edit: If you mean the Mac can not that one either..I can get some though of thats the one you mean..I have it coated in anti seize right now and its a silver mess..Got a bit carried away.. :shock:

Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Bowen1911 wrote:form 1 ideas? Yes.

Though i may just want to buy this one....
Time you buy one..And this would be the perfect one to be your first production can! :wink:

JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

A Snip about the Mystic from my Sparrow vs Prodigy Gen III core blowback review on the NFA talk site: http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php ... t=JohnInNH
<snip>

Next I played with my Liberty .357 multi cal Mystic. My SOT was very interested in the Sparrow and thought the Prodigy was to much $ for what you get. He was shooting his SS Mite which is louder than both but not horrific out in the open after FRP. But he was flat out impressed with the Mystic.

We both shot a few mags of 147 gr FMJ. The silencer is big and is not light .. I was making hits WAY out and feel it is very accurate. It does get hot quickly and the mirage off the long tube is distracting. You find yourself wanting a little breeze.

The Mystic was not all that much louder than the Sparrow.. If I gave it a spritz of H2O with my nose spray bottle it was the same as the .22 silencers..

After 50 rounds I then shot 18 rounds of Winclean .. Then spun off the booster to look at the SS baffle. The edges of the baffles were still very crisp and "sharp" ZERO wear.. in an Al can it will change the finish and break the sharp edge. Not with the Mystic. It appears the Winclean erosion will not be a problem with the Mystic's SS core.

All 3 are very nice silencers.. the Gen III Core puts the Prodigy back on my "to buy" list. The Mystic and the Sparrow are on my you "really should have one" list. Sure the Mystic is big and heavy but it is not all that heavy and the sound is backyard safe, & ACCURATE.. My POA = the POI. I can't wait to get this onto a 357 mag/max rifle. Come on Form 4!

It was a great way to spend an afternoon.

<end snip>
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

I've been enjoying the mystic silencer as well. Since this is only my second silencer I have little to compare it with. It seems made well.

Just don't use it on short barreled 5.56x45 firearms. It isn't rated for them, the pics are for fun only.

lafsnguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by lafsnguy »

How's the weight of the mystic on the glock?
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

lafsnguy wrote:How's the weight of the mystic on the glock?
it is the same as if it were on any other host, i think it's 16 ounces.
lafsnguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by lafsnguy »

I realize that I meant how does the glock handle with the can attached. Is it front heavy, do you think that a lighter can would be better suited for a handgun?
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

lafsnguy wrote:I realize that I meant how does the glock handle with the can attached. Is it front heavy, do you think that a lighter can would be better suited for a handgun?
Yes, it is very heavy, and a lighter/shorter suppressor would be much better. I bought the silencer because of the multi-caliber rating and the multiple mounting options. I think the next silencer I buy will be the infinity from liberty which weighs 9 ounces.
lafsnguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by lafsnguy »

kwikrnu wrote:
lafsnguy wrote:I realize that I meant how does the glock handle with the can attached. Is it front heavy, do you think that a lighter can would be better suited for a handgun?
Yes, it is very heavy, and a lighter/shorter suppressor would be much better. I bought the silencer because of the multi-caliber rating and the multiple mounting options. I think the next silencer I buy will be the infinity from liberty which weighs 9 ounces.

Yeah that's what I believe I am going to do as well. Just trying to get a feel between the two.
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

lafsnguy wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:

Yeah that's what I believe I am going to do as well. Just trying to get a feel between the two.
I paid for my mystic in early November, the form 4 was just approved on the 1st of June. If the infinity had been available I would probably have purchased it instead.
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

mystic on a pps-43c handgun, 7.62x25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHBGOkMYClU