RRA LAR-8: Anybody here own or shot one?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

toxicbyte

RRA LAR-8: Anybody here own or shot one?

Post by toxicbyte »

Just wondering if anybody has shot a Rock River Arms LAR-8 recently and what their thoughts were about the weapon.

NOTE: Not asking for perceived internet rumors or snobish, biased opinions from people that have never shot the weapon. Asking for honest input from people that have actually shot the weapon.

Thanks
millo2115
Silent But Deadly

Post by millo2115 »

My Dad owns one. He loves it. Recoil was pretty hard until he put a PWS brake on it. His only complaint is not being able to get spare parts for it.
This is my Shield. I bear it before me in battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow, nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me, facing the enemy.
toxicbyte

Post by toxicbyte »

Thanks for the reply. How's the accuracy?
millo2115 wrote:My Dad owns one. He loves it. Recoil was pretty hard until he put a PWS brake on it. His only complaint is not being able to get spare parts for it.
millo2115
Silent But Deadly

Post by millo2115 »

Great. But he's got an acog on it so I cant speak for irons.
This is my Shield. I bear it before me in battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow, nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me, facing the enemy.
LonghunterCO
Silent But Deadly

Post by LonghunterCO »

Friend of mine had one of the first batch of them. His intent was to place BUIS on it. The height of the receiver rail and the rail on the gas block were different heights so you could not use a regular BUIS on the front. Between that and the weight he ended up sell it off. Did RR get that resolved?
EKUTrapper

Rock River 308

Post by EKUTrapper »

I just got the RR LAR 308 A4 20" flat top two months ago. As far as mounting muis, I haven't had the chance to do so, but with a scope the rifle shot outstanding. One problem I noticed is that it is picky with ammo. If you purchase one of these, you can forget about using cheap steel case ammo. After about 15 to 20 rounds, the extractor would practically rip the shell apart when trying to eject it. But as far as reliability goes with any brass cases, I havent had one hick up. The reason I went with the RR LAR 8 was becuase of the mags. I can't see justifiying paying 50-60 dollars for a 20rd mag. All of the surplus FAL mags that I have found work perfectly. The one thing I haven't tried yet is using Inch mags in it. All of mine are metric. I hope this helps.
robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Post by robpiat »

I have a DPMS LR 308 and love it. Standardized mags that are designed for the platform and super accurate.

I like RRA in general, but the Knights platform is now the "standard" ..... RRA 308s and Armalite may become Minidiscs and Beta :D
Raptor0683

Post by Raptor0683 »

I've got a friend that has the 20" flat-top and it's awesome. He easily put 9 out of 10 rounds inside a one-inch diamond at 100 yards. He was only using a 3x9x40 simmons scope and surplus ammo as he had just bought the rifle and hadn't had a chance to buy the scope and ammo he wants to run with.

I put a couple mags through it myself and now I'm wanting an AR in 762. I think it's an awesome rifle....
1911slave

Post by 1911slave »

I have one of the first shipped, it is the car size one and is amazing.... under 1/4 inch groups with my 175 MK load and 180 Nosler Accubond is very close. I hunted with it in 08 in Montana for antalope and was successful. also shot a lot of varmints there at ranges fron 100yards to over 600..... Really great gun and for the price is is a very very good value.
saintwar

Re: RRA LAR-8: Anybody here own or shot one?

Post by saintwar »

RRA LAR-8 Elite Operator

I have shot 1k brass rounds through it with no problems at all. It shoots a really tight group and I also just got ACC cyclone-K on it. I really love the gun and super happy.
Jmark
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jmark »

I got to play with one at my gunsmiths. It was there because it would only go bang about 70% of the time. It was sent back and returned with them claiming nothing was wrong. It was getting light primer strikes and my smith looked up the proper firing pin protrusion on the M14 and found it to be longer than that of the RRA. I forgot to ask if he was ever able to get it sorted out but it left me with a bad impression.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

I had a 20'' for a while, it would usually do about 1 MOA with match-grade ammo, but compatability with other 7.62mm AR parts are an issue. Got rid of it and got an 18'' DPMS SASS, and have been extremely impressed as it is averaging .5-.6 MOA consistently. Another issue with the RRA is it won't accept Pmags, which my SASS does. It also will not take a PRS buttstock unless you buy and install a stock adapter, as the charging handle will bump into the cheek riser. Again, the SASS comes with a PRS, along with many other upgrades.
kscarrington

Post by kscarrington »

I've had an RRA Varmint A4 20" .308 for about a year now. I purchased it with the RRA Operator A2 stock and the advanced half quad hand guard, and mounted a Leupold 4.5-14x50 illuminated scope on it. I absolutely love it. On the first day after 2 hours of break-in/sighting in, it passed the sniper qualification course on the first attempt. Since then I've mounted an AAC 7.62SD on the end. Virtually no muzzle flip and virtually no recoil. I've never had a gun that was more fun to shoot.
billybronco
Senior Silent Operator

Post by billybronco »

Uncle and I went out yesterday.....Damn thing wouldn't go into battery 50% of the time.

Every third or fourth round ended up nosing upwards and locking up. Happened with both soft and ballistic tips.

Not sure if it just doesn't like anything but an FMJ or hollowpoint but it may also require a heavier magazine follower spring.

Anybody else experience similar issues?