silencerco new sparrow

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

psychlops

Re: silencerco new sparrow

Post by psychlops »

JohnInNH wrote:Every person who has seen how well my nose spray bottle trick works...
Which nose spray bottles are you using?

I've already bought 3 different types of spray, only to find out that, once they're unwrapped, they're sealed and can't be refilled. It must be a consumer protection thing. Is there a certain brand of nose spray with user-refillable bottles?
SILENCERS: They're not just for hitmen anymore.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

psychlops wrote:
JohnInNH wrote:Every person who has seen how well my nose spray bottle trick works...
Which nose spray bottles are you using?

I've already bought 3 different types of spray, only to find out that, once they're unwrapped, they're sealed and can't be refilled. It must be a consumer protection thing. Is there a certain brand of nose spray with user-refillable bottles?
Walgreens .. Anefrin Nasal Spray 1 fl Oz Once used up or if yo don't ever use it. Wiggle the "tip" and you will see where it will separate. Empty and fill with 1/2 to 1/3 and Oz of H20. (over fill and it will not atomize but squirt.)

I have 3 bottles w/o labels floating around.

I had some old time silencer guy tell me he has been using one for YEARS. (the silencer world best kept secret)
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
psychlops

Post by psychlops »

JohnInNH wrote: Walgreens .. Anefrin Nasal Spray
Thank you! :D

No Walgreens around here, but there are other pharmacies I can try.

That was starting to get frustrating, it'll be nice to find one that works.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

John, I finally tried it. Works better than I thought it would, with as little as one squirt. Thanks for the tip.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

strobro32 wrote:John, I finally tried it. Works better than I thought it would, with as little as one squirt. Thanks for the tip.

Yep so simple who would have thought.

You know you are hooked on silencers when you mail and EMPTY nose spray bottle to a fellow silencer junkie!

psychlops.... your empty bottle is in the mail :-)
psychlops

Post by psychlops »

JohnInNH wrote: You know you are hooked on silencers when you mail and EMPTY nose spray bottle ...

Thanks, John, I appreciate it. :lol:

Like you said earlier, most of the time an FRP isn't important, but I do have neighbors and I'd like to shoot early/late sometimes without worrying about it. And since the Sparrow is supposed to have a significant FRP (my paperwork hasn't arrived yet so I haven't tried it out), I'd rather avoid it when it's really quiet outside.

Now, do you also have any Scotch bottles you can send me? No need for THEM to be empty! :mrgreen:
BAYOU

Post by BAYOU »

Been looking at a 22 suppressor and have narrowed it to Liberty or SilencerCo but that FRP to me was quite loud. Am I correct in understanding that the FRP is only that loud in a 1st ever shot Sparrow or every time you take it out?
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

BAYOU wrote:Been looking at a 22 suppressor and have narrowed it to Liberty or SilencerCo but that FRP to me was quite loud. Am I correct in understanding that the FRP is only that loud in a 1st ever shot Sparrow or every time you take it out?
It is loud everytime I have shot it for the first time cold.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

BAYOU wrote:Been looking at a 22 suppressor and have narrowed it to Liberty or SilencerCo but that FRP to me was quite loud. Am I correct in understanding that the FRP is only that loud in a 1st ever shot Sparrow or every time you take it out?
The SS Sparrow has a FRP of 122.4 on the P-22 which is not the loudest by far. It is actually quite tame.

.22 sound tests on the P-22
http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/show ... alther-P22

.22 sound tests on the 10/22
http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/show ... uger-10-22
BAYOU

Post by BAYOU »

How is the FRP on the Liberty, kodiak TL compared to the Sparrow?
lafsnguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by lafsnguy »

I compared my Kodiak TL and Spectre to my dealers ss Sparrow on a cz 452 and a MKII with paclite upper. There really isn't any FRP on the rifle at least that we could tell. On the MKII the sparrow was noticeably louder than the TL for the FRP.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

The MAJ just submitted a test between .22lr suppressors using CCI. Here's the summary between the two:

Silencerco Sparrow- FRP= 122.4 db Avg. db rating= 116.9

Kodiak TL- FRP= 128.2 db Avg. db rating= 122.5

-Hope this helps. (Test results from a Walther P22)
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

lafsnguy wrote:I compared my Kodiak TL and Spectre to my dealers ss Sparrow on a cz 452 and a MKII with paclite upper. There really isn't any FRP on the rifle at least that we could tell. On the MKII the sparrow was noticeably louder than the TL for the FRP.

The Major's test did not seem to reflect this result. I wonder if the slightly longer barrel on the MkII makes THAT much difference. It may.. I know many folks with the TL who feel it is quieter than many others. A few rounds might help with dB as well.. Many were very surprised by the M3 test results.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

@JohnInNH

-Could be... In the same test with a 10/22 rifle as the host, notice that the Sparrow is only around a decibel better than the TL on both FRP and overall average, which to our ears probably wouldn't even be discernable. I'd like to see a test using the Mk III as a host as well...
BAYOU

Post by BAYOU »

I did look at both numbers on the P22 with the sparrow and kodiak and from what seen the sparrow should have been quiter. I was just suprised on how loud the FRP was on the sparrow in the video. Was just curious if the kodiak was the same and if thats the norm.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

@ BAYOU-

Be cautious with making judgments on suppressors based off of video clips, they can be very misleading. There could be some other variable too that we're not aware of making the difference in that video, but usually the audio alone does a poor job in portraying the actual sound of a suppressor.
BAYOU

Post by BAYOU »

I'm sure a video isn't the best as in in person but I'm sure I'm not the first person who thought that FRP was loud, I was like wow. If the numbers state the Kodiak TL is louder on the first pop than the Sparrow it must be louder. Just trying to do as much research and make an informed opion before I buy. I only have one suppressor now for 5.56 and I was quite surprised on how loud it is. Happy with my selection FA556AR but was quite suprised on how loud a 5.56 is suppressed. I know there are more but I'm looking at the sparrow ss and kodiak tl.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

A quick mist of water from a nasal spray bottle will kill the FRP on the Sparrow.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

JohnInNH wrote:
strobro32 wrote:John, I finally tried it. Works better than I thought it would, with as little as one squirt. Thanks for the tip.

Yep so simple who would have thought.

You know you are hooked on silencers when you mail and EMPTY nose spray bottle to a fellow silencer junkie!

JohninNH again demonstrates New England 'Yankee' ingenuity.
Standing ovation, , my man, for this elegant solution!
OH! will BATF now consider nasal spray bottles a silencer in itself as it is used as part of
the can?? Better check. Nothing to sneeze at. :)
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

kwikrnu wrote:Image
Congratulations on collection. My personal thanks for showing as it cheers one who has
just recovered from a three week bout of New England pneumonia. I still find it
inexplicable why we guys have the atavistic joyous response to such pictures but
why question one of God's bounty.

Thanks again.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

@ BAYOU

-I don't know what your budget is for a .22lr can but if you're wanting the best as far as suppression level, the AAC Element is quieter than the TL and Sparrow. Its FRP was only 117.2 db and its average db rating was 115.8. It's only 1 db quieter than the Sparrow in average, but the Element's FRP was 5.2 db quieter, which is definitely something to consider.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

tsands974 wrote:@ BAYOU

-I don't know what your budget is for a .22lr can but if you're wanting the best as far as suppression level, the AAC Element is quieter than the TL and Sparrow. Its FRP was only 117.2 db and its average db rating was 115.8. It's only 1 db quieter than the Sparrow in average, but the Element's FRP was 5.2 db quieter, which is definitely something to consider.
Yes, the ELEMENT and 22 SPARROW are currently my 2 favorite .22 cans. Get one of each and cover all your bases!
Kick Ass Design
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

psychlops wrote:
JohnInNH wrote: You know you are hooked on silencers when you mail and EMPTY nose spray bottle ...

BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

tsands974 wrote:The MAJ just submitted a test between .22lr suppressors using CCI. Here's the summary between the two:

Silencerco Sparrow- FRP= 122.4 db Avg. db rating= 116.9

Kodiak TL- FRP= 128.2 db Avg. db rating= 122.5

-Hope this helps. (Test results from a Walther P22)
That was *ONE* test and no represent well at all compares to the many other testings elsewheres . Even Dave at Liberty was confusing about the results. the Element look better in other pistol test too. :cry: Walther not good test host anyways. Majors tests will revealing as more test are done.

This is more than one test. http://youtu.be/R_AXHihPvBc and NFA talk have plenty testings on Libery TL which not the same results as Majors *one* test.

There is no way in hells kitchens that the TL has a louder FRP than the Sparrow, total toro pucky.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!