Prodigy or Quest

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Cortland

Prodigy or Quest

Post by Cortland »

Well, I've begun to buy into the paranoia that I need a disassemblable .22 can, but I'm torn between AAC's Prodigy and TI's Quest. You can read my thoughts below, but I'd be interested to hear what you think, as well.

I own an AAC Pilot. I'm very happy with my Pilot. I only have one .22 machine gun (an Uzi), and I use a big disassemblable 9mm suppressor with that. So my .22 suppression needs are relatively light duty. So why would I need a .22 can I can take apart? Supposedly my Pilot will fill up with lead eventually, although according to rsilvers AAC has received only a very small number of Pilots back for service, and they were all from paranoid owners whose cans really didn't need any service (this is my recollection, correct if I'm wrong).

AAC's most recent product literature shows that the Pilot's sound reduction is 41 dB, and the Prodigy is listed at 38-40 dB. So remind me again why I'd want to spend $800 on a can that's louder than one I've already got? Oh that's right -- the one I've got now will quickly fill up with lead and become useless. The problem is, everything I read from rsilvers and some others indicates that this won't happen any time soon, and maybe never in the lifetime of the suppressor, given the way I use it.

AAC will replace or upgrade a suppressor for half price. So for the price of one Prodigy, I could have my current Pilot replaced 4 times and still have ammo money in my pocket -- AND I'll have a quieter suppressor to boot!

But I'm still drawn to the Prodigy. I'm drawn to a suppressor that I know will remain functional indefinitely. It may take me decades to lead up my Pilot to the point it becomes loud, and I may be able to replace it several times for less than the cost of the Prodigy, but the Prodigy still appeals to that paranoid side of me who worries about a suppressor ban, AAC going out of business, and a dystopian future populated by pillaging biker gangs hell bent on skull sex.

I probably shoot 10 rounds of .22 for every centerfire round I put down range, and it's important to me that I have a rimfire suppressor that will last for the duration. I think the Pilot is that suppressor, but I'm not 100% sure. So it seems what I really want is not necessarily a suppressor that can be taken apart and cleaned -- I'm really looking for a suppressor that I can put in the back of the safe and rest assured that no matter what happens, no matter how much use it gets, it will always be there, and always be functional.

And now we get down to it. I'm thinking the Quest is a better choice. The Prodigy is probably a little quieter than the Quest, but then again my Pilot is quieter than the Prodigy. The Quest, however, is stainless steel. Maybe it's heavy, but it's probably also indestructable. I can pound it apart and beadblast the baffles and it should last forever. Maybe the Prodigy will last forever, too -- but the fact is it's aluminum. Since I expect my Pilot to last, I think I'd rather have the more durable suppressor that might be a little louder. After all, this disassemblable suppressor -- whether it be the Quest or Prodigy -- is really only a contigency anyway, to be relied upon only if my Pilot becomes unusable and can't be serviced.

Also the Quest is $200 cheaper.
vipergts

Post by vipergts »

The only real solution is to buy both! Then you would have both a can that will be there till hell freezes over and probably the coolest .22 can on the planet! Hell it's only money! They'll print more. They always do!!! :twisted:
Racer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Racer »

Every time I have had this question -- my answer has been to buy both. That is how I now have 6 .22 muzzle cans and 3 integrals. Each one is a little different and is enjoyable in its own way. You might even consider adding the Aviator to your list. It is rumored to be quieter than the Pilot.
Dave
Cortland

Post by Cortland »

The only real solution is to buy both!
If you didn't already own a .22 silencer I think the Prodigy would be the best choice, but if you already own a Pilot (or Warlock, etc.) the Quest seems to make more sense.
That is how I now have 6 .22 muzzle cans and 3 integrals.
Speaking of integrals, it's a real shame AAC wasn't able to get the ATF to accept the baffle core as the registered part. You could have had (Riemann) "integral-able" barrels that were made to accept the Prodigy baffle core -- THAT would've been cool and a real reason to buy the Prodigy.
1928A1
Silent But Deadly

Re: Prodigy or Quest

Post by 1928A1 »

Cortland wrote:Well, I've begun to buy into the paranoia that I need a disassemblable .22 can, but I'm torn between AAC's Prodigy and TI's Quest. You can read my thoughts below, but I'd be interested to hear what you think, as well. First let me say that there is no paranoia...22 cans all fill up if you shoot them enough. If you plan on shooting less than 3 cases of 22 ammo semi auto for the remainder of your life, then you don't need anything other than what you already have. That is 15,000 rounds BTW

I own an AAC Pilot. I'm very happy with my Pilot. I only have one .22 machine gun (an Uzi), and I use a big disassemblable 9mm suppressor with that. So my .22 suppression needs are relatively light duty. So why would I need a .22 can I can take apart? Supposedly my Pilot will fill up with lead eventually, although according to rsilvers AAC has received only a very small number of Pilots back for service, and they were all from paranoid owners whose cans really didn't need any service (this is my recollection, correct if I'm wrong). That is not exactly true...as every manufacturer has had to rebuild filled up cans...

AAC's most recent product literature shows that the Pilot's sound reduction is 41 dB, and the Prodigy is listed at 38-40 dB. So remind me again why I'd want to spend $800 on a can that's louder than one I've already got? Oh that's right -- the one I've got now will quickly fill up with lead and become useless. The problem is, everything I read from rsilvers and some others indicates that this won't happen any time soon, and maybe never in the lifetime of the suppressor, given the way I use it. Sound reduction on 22 cans like the Gemtech, Pilot, Warlock, Prodigy, etc...are way quiet...Hollywood quiet so you need to look at more than just dB ratings...

AAC will replace or upgrade a suppressor for half price. So for the price of one Prodigy, I could have my current Pilot replaced 4 times and still have ammo money in my pocket -- AND I'll have a quieter suppressor to boot!

But I'm still drawn to the Prodigy. I'm drawn to a suppressor that I know will remain functional indefinitely. It may take me decades to lead up my Pilot to the point it becomes loud, and I may be able to replace it several times for less than the cost of the Prodigy, but the Prodigy still appeals to that paranoid side of me who worries about a suppressor ban, AAC going out of business, and a dystopian future populated by pillaging biker gangs hell bent on skull sex.

I probably shoot 10 rounds of .22 for every centerfire round I put down range, and it's important to me that I have a rimfire suppressor that will last for the duration. I think the Pilot is that suppressor, but I'm not 100% sure. So it seems what I really want is not necessarily a suppressor that can be taken apart and cleaned -- I'm really looking for a suppressor that I can put in the back of the safe and rest assured that no matter what happens, no matter how much use it gets, it will always be there, and always be functional.

And now we get down to it. I'm thinking the Quest is a better choice. The Prodigy is probably a little quieter than the Quest, but then again my Pilot is quieter than the Prodigy. The Quest, however, is stainless steel. Maybe it's heavy, but it's probably also indestructable. I can pound it apart and beadblast the baffles and it should last forever. Maybe the Prodigy will last forever, too -- but the fact is it's aluminum. Since I expect my Pilot to last, I think I'd rather have the more durable suppressor that might be a little louder. After all, this disassemblable suppressor -- whether it be the Quest or Prodigy -- is really only a contigency anyway, to be relied upon only if my Pilot becomes unusable and can't be serviced. I think that the Prodigy will be an easier suppressor to clean...that is what you are buying. I don't have one yet, but do have one inbound and will do a complete review including a 1000 round back to back full auto test. The single piece baffle system is a great idea for full auto shooters.

Also the Quest is $200 cheaper.
Good luck in your decision
07FFL 02 SOT
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

I really like the quest cans. I bead blast my .22 suppressors to clean them and that is why a prodigy is out for me. I don'y want to blast off the anodizing. If you are using it on your uzi the boltslap is louder than the quest so the point is mute. Everyone who has shot a quest has loved it. In fact I even sold my demo becasue the last guy that tried it did notwant to waite for me to reorder.
Mike-Sid
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Mike-Sid »

I am going to buy a Prodgity, just for the state of the art design!! I bet the Prodgity is what you need.
I'm also getting an Avaitor.....now....

DAMN YOU CHILI17!!! Now I might need a Quest also!!!!!

Where does it end!!!!!
www.Oxford-Armory.com
ElDuderino
Silent But Deadly

Post by ElDuderino »

For full auto has anyone considered the new Diamond can that Tactical Innovations is putting out? (It's all SS and bigger than the Quest but I don't think there's any info up yet on the website).
bgrayd
Silent But Deadly

Quest 22 Cans...

Post by bgrayd »

As long as we are on the subject....

The quest cans come as a stainless or a black ceramic coating...

How durable is the ceramic coating. I like the looks of the black, but would I be better off with the stianless for durability... OR, is the black ceramic coating almost indestructable?

Brett
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Ceramic paints are generally fragile. Less durable than Gunkote. They were developed for non-contact applications like exhaust headers.
bgrayd
Silent But Deadly

Is it just paint?

Post by bgrayd »

The way it is described on their web page is : "high temperature matte black liquid ceramic ".

Is it a finish that is baked on or "painted" on?

Brett
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

It is painted on and then either air-cure or oven-cure.
dieselten
Silent But Deadly

Post by dieselten »

I think that is the same finish that is on the TAC16. I have a TAC16 and I love the finish, very durable with a slight "rubbery" feel. Still appears new after many full auto 30 round mag dumps. Makes for a good grip in tightening and loosening.
PAR
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAR »

Mike-Sid wrote:I am going to buy a Prodgity, just for the state of the art design!! I bet the Prodgity is what you need.
I'm also getting an Avaitor.....now....

DAMN YOU CHILI17!!! Now I might need a Quest also!!!!!

Where does it end!!!!!
Likewise, I was too late to get it from him but he did make a deal on a 65. Maybe after my EVO 9.
vipergts

Post by vipergts »

We need a North Texas silencer shoot! :twisted:
PAR
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAR »

vipergts wrote:We need a North Texas silencer shoot! :twisted:
+1

I have a few acres on Lake Ray Hubbard, just outside of town. As soon as it gets warm, I'm game. You can even drop a line in the water.
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

Be sure to let me know the details of a North Texas shoot. Anywhere between DFW and Amarillo is good for me. I will have mainly AAC goodies to show off but, I also have other things pending that might be here in the not distant future but, the details are final yet.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

I'd get the Prodigy as it's best to buy the best product the first time.
NFAtalk.org
PAR
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAR »

Sid Post wrote:Be sure to let me know the details of a North Texas shoot. Anywhere between DFW and Amarillo is good for me. I will have mainly AAC goodies to show off but, I also have other things pending that might be here in the not distant future but, the details are final yet.
Will do, as I'm really just getting into the game, it would really be nice to see some side-by-side first hand.
vipergts

Post by vipergts »

At a recent match hosted at APG(www.apgtraining.com) I inquired if they would be interested in hosting a silencer shoot. The response was sure!!! They are C3 friendly, 300yd. range, and no range nazi's. Great place to have the shoot!!! They do have scheduled events by local LEO's that would restrict range use so we'd have to schedule well in advance.
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

I host a smg match in sanger march 24th. most of the time we are done by 2pm so that leaves a lot of open shooting time.

I am hosting the 4th annual UZITALK.COM shoot/match may 4-6th. That would be a good time for a silencer shoot too. About 50-70 people half of who are coming from out of state.

I will do a group buy on quest suppressors here very soon. IF you want one and are willing to prepay I will cut you a pretty sweet deal. If no prepay then I will still sell it below retail. Its tough to keep these in stock. I have even sold my demos to people. PM for details.
Mike-Sid
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Mike-Sid »

Are the Prodgity's ok to use on Full auto??
www.Oxford-Armory.com
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Yes, a Prodigy is ok to use full auto.
Cortland

Post by Cortland »

I think I'll get both, starting with the Prodigy.
jordan131
Silent Operator

Post by jordan131 »

I've had a Prodigy pre-ordered from sometime last summer, and the recent delays have given me time to reevaluate that decision. I love the technology behind the Prodigy, but I am starting to doubt if aluminum construction is right for this application.

How exactly are we supposed to clean it??

- Bead blasting might be the best, but the pressure would have to be kept down to avoid damage.
- Peroxide/vinegar would be ok IF the coating was fully intact. Any crack in the coating _could_ lead to dissolving of the underlying aluminum
- Wire brush – damage potential with anything strong enough to knock off the lead
- Freezing the core to crack off the lead might be possible
- ANY other ideas???

I currently have an all stainless Scarab (9oz) that will be modified to allow removal of the baffles. The Quest (7oz) is also all stainless and already designed to come apart. All stainless construction means you could use any of the above cleaning methods without harming the silencer. I’m starting to think I should have Mark change my order to a 762-SD and wait for the reviews of the quest or a future stainless Prodigy.