Silencer Maintenance

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

Three Eye

Silencer Maintenance

Post by Three Eye »

Folks I am so glad I found this site so I can learn more about suppressors.

In earlier posts, I have mentioned that I recently got an AAC TiRant 45 and Silencerco Sparrow. I have now shot both and am inpressed, particularly with the AAC suppressor! It is super quiet. The Sparrow is great too, but not as quiet.

After my shoot, I took both apart as much as I could, to clean them. That raised some questions, as I read somewhere that simply washing out with soap and water was a good start. But here are my questions:

1. With the TiRant 45, I notice that the muzzle end of the suppressor has some magnetic components, and the barrel mount and its surrounding are somewhat magnetic. I have washed, wiped and dried them. Is that sufficient maintenance? I would hate to have components rust, as I have seen in other posts. Am I OK?

2. The Sparrow is take apart, which I have done. I have scrubbed the stainless half moon stainless shields, but cannot get the black marks off. Should that worry me? The baffle stack appears pretty clean after 50 rounds, except at the distal end. It is coated with a gray substance that resists scrubbing with a scouring pad. i notice that it and the outer tube are magnetic, so wonder how best to clean them to avoid rust. Perhaps I should post this in the Silencerco area. But it seems a common question/issue.

I have wiped all components of both suppressors down as best I can. Should I spray them with something like WD-40, or just let them air dry?

Thanks so much for your patience in helping a newbe in this aspect of fun shooting!
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Re: Silencer Maintenance

Post by JasonAAC »

take a look at your Ti-rant manual- it talks about cleaning and maintenance and doesn't mention any soap and water.

You're going to want to use a nylon brush or scotchbrite pad moistened with a CLP or an aluminum-safe solvent.
Kick Ass Design
Three Eye

Post by Three Eye »

Thanks Jason. I have cleaned with CLP after the soapy water, so hope I am OK!
Three Eye

Post by Three Eye »

Jason, do you ever sleep, or are you such a suppressorofile that you just live to respond?

Thanks again!
Ctaylor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ctaylor »

The truth is Jason has clones. Many many clones.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Three Eye- you're fine, just make sure it's all lightly lubed after washing, didn't want to panic you.

And no, I don't sleep much. Gotta be working to keep the clients happy all the time. ;) And, i do enjoy helping out on the forums if it's something I know about.
Kick Ass Design
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Ctaylor wrote:The truth is Jason has clones. Many many clones.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Image :lol: :lol: :lol:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Emilio wrote:
Ctaylor wrote:The truth is Jason has clones. Many many clones.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Image :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wish!
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy